The Student Room Group

I hate media AMA

By media I mean mostly news reports and how they blabber on about Kim Kardashian or the royal family like anyone actually gives a toss about them.

Reply or I won't see your message

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KyleH123
By media I mean mostly news reports and how they blabber on about Kim Kardashian or the royal family like anyone actually gives a toss about them.

AGREED!
Reply 2

You've been going on the wrong media... That's almost like saying "I hate YouTube because they have PewDiePie vids and I hate him".
(edited 8 years ago)
I thought you meant the academic subject, media :s-smilie:
Original post by iEthan
I thought you meant the academic subject, media :s-smilie:

Lol. I take it and it bores me to death.
Original post by Rhythmical

My friends told me the exact same thing :rofl:
Original post by iEthan
My friends told me the exact same thing :rofl:

It requires so much creativity that it becomes a chore. I want to go in the media industry but the subject is awful. I thought it was watching films at GCSE lol.
It requires so much creativity that it becomes a chore. I want to go in the media industry but the subject is awful. I thought it was watching films at GCSE lol.

I am not very creative. Media would not be my cup of tea… I am more… sarcastic and short-lived. I think that puts me in the position to be a weather forecaster for Channel 5 :holmes: better than nothing I suppose? :dontknow:

Spoiler

Reply 8
Original post by BWV1007
You've been going on the wrong media... That's almost like saying "I hate YouTube because they have PewDiePie vids and I hate him".

Well I hate most of general media to be honest. Just spouts sh*t. Oh this person died, this celebrity married this person, this celebrity is having a baby.

can u please explain to me what media studies actually is and involves? I've always wanted to know and even tried googling it but i'm still confused
Reply 10
I really home I never become famous.
Reply 11
Original post by BWV1007

Mostly aimed at the newspapers and news articles.

:yep:
Original post by iEthan
I am not very creative. Media would not be my cup of tea… I am more… sarcastic and short-lived. I think that puts me in the position to be a weather forecaster for Channel 5 :holmes: better than nothing I suppose? :dontknow:

Spoiler

I'm like that. I have a dry witty humour but Media has a bad rep, people hate it lol.

Original post by alkaline.
can u please explain to me what media studies actually is and involves? I've always wanted to know and even tried googling it but i'm still confused

I took it for GCSE and then again for A Level purely because nothing else was on offer. A lot of the times you may need to analyse a film, create a poster/dvd cover, come with up with a game idea, film idea and learning about the media industry. It has given me skills however but there is more I can elaborate on. Do you want to take it?
Well I hate most of general media to be honest. Just spouts sh*t. Oh this person died, this celebrity married this person, this celebrity is having a baby.

To be fair a lot of people do want to hear about that sort of stuff, it is news.
Do you not follow celebrity culture, listen to music, watch films? Would you not want to find out that a favourite musician/actor of yours had died?
And you wouldn't want to know about your heads of state, and their affairs?
Reply 14
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
AGREED!

Excuse me while I go find a habitable cave.

:call: you in?
Reply 15
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
To be fair a lot of people do want to hear about that sort of stuff, it is news.
Do you not follow celebrity culture, listen to music, watch films? Would you not want to find out that a favourite musician/actor of yours had died?
And you wouldn't want to know about your heads of state, and their affairs?

Sure, I listen to music. Mostly old music though. No, I can still listen to their music. I couldn't care less about politics, not like my opinion matters, we've never had a democracy.
I'm like that. I have a dry witty humour but Media has a bad rep, people hate it lol.

I took it for GCSE and then again for A Level purely because nothing else was on offer. A lot of the times you may need to analyse a film, create a poster/dvd cover, come with up with a game idea, film idea and learning about the media industry. It has given me skills however but there is more I can elaborate on. Do you want to take it?

analysing a film in what way? I know we do that in art sometimes but that is obviously in an artistic critical analysis/philosophical type way, how would you do that in media studies? No I don't want to take it I'm simply genuinely interested, it seems so foreign to me. What "topics"/projects have you done so far this year? and what do the AS exams entail?

Also what about the media industry do you learn, yh pls do elaborate if you can be bothered to so late at night :biggrin:
Sure, I listen to music. Mostly old music though. No, I can still listen to their music. I couldn't care less about politics, not like my opinion matters, we've never had a democracy.

Fair enough. :redface: I would want to know because I believe that social interactions are guided around the media a lot. I talk about current affairs in politics, celebrity culture, etcetera on a daily basis with my friends, teachers and people I encounter everyday. I feel as though without engaging with the media there would be a lot more social disconnect.

Out of interest, do you actually check sources of media a lot?

Regarding your statement I highlighted in bold: Oh but it does! And your next statement is very bold indeed, what makes you say that 'we've never had a democracy'?
Original post by alkaline.
analysing a film in what way? I know we do that in art sometimes but that is obviously in an artistic critical analysis/philosophical type way, how would you do that in media studies? No I don't want to take it I'm simply genuinely interested, it seems so foreign to me. What "topics"/projects have you done so far this year? and what do the AS exams entail?

Also what about the media industry do you learn, yh pls do elaborate if you can be bothered to so late at night :biggrin:

Analysing a film in terms of camera shots and angles, setting etc really. And working out the intended audience and why they were targeted. That was more GCSE to be honest. And I'm doing an OCR Cambridge Technical in Media so it is all coursework based as my school scrapped the A Level version. My projects this year have entailed coming up with a film idea and writing the production schedule and everything about it. Creating film posters for a TV series and coming up with a game idea and doing case studies. And we learn a lot about the process of how films are made, how to write scripts and the inside process in terms of everything. I did want to do a Media degree but it'll get me nowhere so an English degree is miles better.
Reply 19
Fair enough. :redface: I would want to know because I believe that social interactions are guided around the media a lot. I talk about current affairs in politics, celebrity culture, etcetera on a daily basis with my friends, teachers and people I encounter everyday. I feel as though without engaging with the media there would be a lot more social disconnect.

Out of interest, do you actually check sources of media a lot?

Sure, on a global scale a lack of media would mean social disconnect. But nowadays' you see everyone on their mobile phones not even connecting with people right next to us. Media is either depressing or ridiculous and pointless..

Regarding your statement I highlighted in bold: Oh but it does! And your next statement is very bold indeed, what makes you say that 'we've never had a democracy'?

Multiple sources that I trust a lot more than the government as they have no reason to deceive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNkqenD3Whc
watch that, mostly the first 10 minutes or so. 2 very smart individuals

@SinsNotTragedies
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest