The Student Room Group

Chinese studies 2016

Hi, I'm new to TSR:smile:
I couldn't find a Chinese Studies thread for next year so here it is!
It's not one of those really popular courses and so far I haven't found anyone applying for it. I'd love to hear from people who have - unis, offers etc:colondollar: Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My details: I am a Year 13 student and have applied to Oxford, Edinburgh, Manchester, Durham for Chinese Studies and Leeds for Japanese Studies. I've got offers from Manchester, Durham and Leeds but have been rejected by the two others. I've now decided to do Chinese and am wondering which one to choose as my firm choice - Manchester or Durham?
Durham's offer is one grade higher than Manchester's. However I do much prefer Manchester both as a city and as a university (I don't really like the college system of Durham). Also it seems like Manchester's international reputation is much higher than Durham's.

Sorry for throwing in too many details:frown: My main question is, how good is Manchester's Chinese course? How fluent would a student become after graduating? Is Durham's course different in any way? Thanks:smile:
Original post by Lara_
My details: I am a Year 13 student and have applied to Oxford, Edinburgh, Manchester, Durham for Chinese Studies and Leeds for Japanese Studies. I've got offers from Manchester, Durham and Leeds but have been rejected by the two others. I've now decided to do Chinese and am wondering which one to choose as my firm choice - Manchester or Durham?
Durham's offer is one grade higher than Manchester's. However I do much prefer Manchester both as a city and as a university (I don't really like the college system of Durham). Also it seems like Manchester's international reputation is much higher than Durham's.

Sorry for throwing in too many details:frown: My main question is, how good is Manchester's Chinese course? How fluent would a student become after graduating? Is Durham's course different in any way? Thanks:smile:

I'm not at Manchester but know a couple of people who do Chinese there and the majority were roughly HSK4 at the end of their year abroad in 3rd year, which is alright but not the best (at Sheffield we were HSK5 at the end of our year abroad in 2nd year), although they do land good jobs like at Goldman Sachs, despite the fact the course doesn't seem the most linguistically challenging
Original post by Lara_
Hi, I'm new to TSR:smile:
I couldn't find a Chinese Studies thread for next year so here it is!
It's not one of those really popular courses and so far I haven't found anyone applying for it. I'd love to hear from people who have - unis, offers etc:colondollar: Thanks!

I am taking a minor in Chinese next year, although my main subject is Egyptology. I got rejected by Oxford for Oriental Studies this year as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
I am taking a minor in Chinese next year, although my main subject is Egyptology. I got rejected by Oxford for Oriental Studies this year as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How come you got rejected? Your grades are really good
Reply 5
Original post by super_kawaii
I'm not at Manchester but know a couple of people who do Chinese there and the majority were roughly HSK4 at the end of their year abroad in 3rd year, which is alright but not the best (at Sheffield we were HSK5 at the end of our year abroad in 2nd year), although they do land good jobs like at Goldman Sachs, despite the fact the course doesn't seem the most linguistically challenging

HSK 4 after the year abroad in 3rd year sounds quite disappointing for Manchester to be honest. Isn't that the level of Chinese a person would acquire after spending one year in China with no prior knowledge?I suppose it also depends on the exchange university the students choose. Do you know which one they spent their year abroad at?

Ideally, I would hope for at least HSK 7 by the time I graduate. I wonder whether that is possible though... I have done my Japanese A level last year and have reached JLPT2. I have some knowledge of Kanji. Is this going to help me acquire a higher level than average in any way?
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear that:frown:
Had you been invited for an interview?
Original post by Lara_
HSK 4 after the year abroad in 3rd year sounds quite disappointing for Manchester to be honest. Isn't that the level of Chinese a person would acquire after spending one year in China with no prior knowledge?I suppose it also depends on the exchange university the students choose. Do you know which one they spent their year abroad at?

Ideally, I would hope for at least HSK 7 by the time I graduate. I wonder whether that is possible though... I have done my Japanese A level last year and have reached JLPT2. I have some knowledge of Kanji. Is this going to help me acquire a higher level than average in any way?

HSK7 would not be possible as it does not exist. The highest level is HSK6 which a lot of students at Sheffield (where I am) achieve by graduation.

Manchester students can go to a variety of uni's in China, and the ones I met were at Nanjing uni which is one of the best universities in China and is known for the intensity of it's Chinese as a Foreign Language course.

I'd say knowledge of A Level kanji would give you an advantage in first year, first semester, but nothing noticeable after that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
HSK7 would not be possible as it does not exist. The highest level is HSK6 which a lot of students at Sheffield (where I am) achieve by graduation.

Manchester students can go to a variety of uni's in China, and the ones I met were at Nanjing uni which is one of the best universities in China and is known for the intensity of it's Chinese as a Foreign Language course.

My goodness, how ridiculous! I mistyped it:frown: I meant, at least HSK6 (preferably even beyond). Do you know of anyone who spent the year abroad in Tsinghua? I know it's the best university in China (as is Peking) so I suppose it's difficult to get in even as an exchange student. Is it only the top-graders who go there? Or do students get to choose freely?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lara_
My goodness, how ridiculous! I mistyped it:frown: I meant, at least HSK6 (preferably even beyond). Do you know of anyone who spent the year abroad in Tsinghua? I know it's the best university in China (as is Peking) so I suppose it's difficult to get in even as an exchange student. Is it only the top-graders who go there? Or do students get to choose freely?

I have no idea about exchanges at Manchester as I go to Sheffield and we all go to Nanjing University, however I guess it'll depend on your preferences and how well you do in 1st and 2nd years
Original post by zXcodeXz
How come you got rejected? Your grades are really good

Thanks. I guess the interviews didn't go well, and also they only have one or two places each year. I'm gutted but I'll get over it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lara_
Sorry to hear that:frown:
Had you been invited for an interview?

Yes, I had an interview (three, actually!). You? What college did you apply to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks. I guess the interviews didn't go well, and also they only have one or two places each year. I'm gutted but I'll get over it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah don't even worry you have really good grades and you CAN get into other amazing universities!
Yeah don't even worry you have really good grades and you CAN get into other amazing universities!

It all depends come results day-even if you have good grades unis are fully within their rights to reject you if you don't meet the offer. I was lucky to get into uni because my offer was ABB (lowest offer I received) and I achieved AAC. I was actually REJECTED by my insurance choice because I didn't meet their offer, even though I technically got the same on points. I'm just fortunate Sheffield School of East Asian Studies were leniant

I got into two courses at UCL, as well as one at Birmingham, and I'm going to Liverpool which I'm happy about! What course are you doing and where?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Yes, I had an interview (three, actually!). You? What college did you apply to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did as well, two:smile: I applied to Balliol.
I guess my interview just didn't go well...
What college did you apply to and what grades are you predicted? If you don't mind me asking:h:
It all depends come results day-even if you have good grades unis are fully within their rights to reject you if you don't meet the offer. I was lucky to get into uni because my offer was ABB (lowest offer I received) and I achieved AAC. I was actually REJECTED by my insurance choice because I didn't meet their offer, even though I technically got the same on points. I'm just fortunate Sheffield School of East Asian Studies were leniant

Oh ok what uni do you go to?
Original post by Lara_
I did as well, two:smile: I applied to Balliol.
I guess my interview just didn't go well...
What college did you apply to and what grades are you predicted? If you don't mind me asking:h:

Ah, I applied to Queen's. I'm predicted A*AA, you?
Oh ok what uni do you go to?

I'm at Sheffield, studying Chinese with Japanese, the linguistically most demanding course for both those languages
I'm at Sheffield, studying Chinese with Japanese, the linguistically most demanding course for both those languages

Oh ok that's cool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending