The Student Room Group

Financial roles in different companies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studos
Have you actually finished school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So when questioned on your knowledge about a career you so dearly want to get into you answer with some completely unrelated question.

I don't think you will ever get a job in IBD honestly mate.
Reply 21
Please stick to the topic. My motivation is NOT your concern.
Neither anyone cares about your opinion if I will ever get into IBD or whatever.
Thanks.
Original post by studos
Neither anyone cares about your opinion if I will ever get into IBD or whatever.
Thanks.

Ok, Princepieman has already answered that.
Original post by studos
Thanks.

Didn't know whether or not I had finished school was part of the topic, but okay Mr.IncomingAnalyst.
Reply 24
Original post by leavingthecity
OP, what are your reasons for wanting to go into IB? It's a pretty big commitment to make and work will be intense and pretty consuming.

Money. :dontknow:
Original post by Josb

That's not going to get him (or anyone else for that matter) through the mental and physical stress of working in a front office job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by studos
Thanks.

Look, we are trying to help. Motivation is a massive factor in not only how you'll cope in your job, but also how you'll get into the industry in the first place.
Original post by Princepieman
That's not going to get him (or anyone else for that matter) through the mental and physical stress of working in a front office job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it gets you through the first few years. Then you're like wtf am I doing with my life.
Original post by Mathstatician
Tell that to the jews

Ouch

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
You need to change your attitude man, 'I can't do that' is the worst possible response anyone can have to a career suggestion. To put it simply, no IBD at a bank would take you on in your current position not even as a practising engineer. The ONLY ways to switch careers are via an MBA or ruthless networking. An MBA would be the best route as you're given a reset button effectively, and any poor university or job beforehand is oftentimes forgotten.

No respectable MBA programme would take anyone on without at least 3-5 years of work experience. The ones where you can get an MBA directly after uni are a complete waste of money. You could potentially look into pre-experience Masters in Management or Masters in Finance courses. They'd do the same thing (in terms of overriding the brand of your current uni), however you'll start at the same level as an undergrad would. They are expensive though, so do bear that in mind.

Most top programmes don't disclose grades, so realistically you don't need to be top of the year but you also shouldn't fail. And of course it needs to be from a target school, this is IB/trading/consulting we're talking about after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He keeps on giving. Do you know what naionality?
Original post by Josb

Looks overrated.
Original post by Trapz99
Yeah but where do Jews fit into all of is? I don't see why you referred to them.

You're not sure of Jewish history? I think you're being coy. The point may have been abrupt but the principle of outer incentive vs willingness to work under hard conditions applies.
Original post by Mathstatician
You're not sure of Jewish history? I think you're being coy. The point may have been abrupt but the principle of outer incentive vs willingness to work under hard conditions applies.

Yeah I don't really know Jewish history. But I have heard before that they are known for being hard workers and that they sacrificed a lot to get to where they are now.
Reply 33
Original post by Trapz99
The right reasons are:
-The exit opportunities are unrivalled by any other career (you can go into PE, HF, startups. start your own business)
-Gaining so much knowledge about business and finance in a couple of years
-The skills you gain (financial modelling, analytical, pitching, teamwork, leadership etc)
-The networking opportunities (people who work with you later go on to be very successful, possibly giving you career opportunities)
-Being able to work in a dynamic environment
-Making an impact- the deals you work on can change the face of a company
-Enjoyin the work to an extent (if you like working in a team, have a passion for finance which many bankers do)

Looking at your post I can clearly see that you are not motivated and employers will see right through that in the (multiple) interviews. No one can work 100 hours a week without enjoying their job to an extent.

Yeah, you should tell exactly that in an interview, that you go into IB for the EXIT opportunities, I am sure you will get a huge opportunity to exit... prematurely :biggrin:
Original post by studos
Yeah, you should tell exactly that in an interview, that you go into IB for the EXIT opportunities, I am sure you will get a huge opportunity to exit... prematurely :biggrin:

Lol

I meant the motivations that you actually have, not the ones that you're going to say in an interview. Your motivations aren't just things that you say in an interview, they are things that actually drive you to succeed.
Reply 35
Original post by Trapz99
Lol

I meant the motivations that you actually have, not the ones that you're going to say in an interview. Your motivations aren't just things that you say in an interview, they are things that actually drive you to succeed.

It's HUGELY pathetic to decide to go into IB for the exit prospect!

Even money is better motive, because you actually earn it as you work!

You suggest to follow a whole career and work years and years just for what you could get AFTER that! hideous and hilarious at the same time!

Come on kids, don't waste my time, either provide the info I am asking or don't try to give me idiot lessons, while you are still at school without a single day of finance experience.

It is fine to read all the relevant webpages and to watch the Wall Street show etc, and then use acronyms to imply that you know alot about the sector, but it's so immature.
Original post by studos

You suggest to follow a whole career and work years and years just for what you could get AFTER that! hideous and hilarious at the same time!

Come on kids, don't waste my time, either provide the info I am asking or don't try to give me idiot lessons, while you are still at school without a single day of finance experience.

It is fine to read all the relevant webpages and to watch the Wall Street show etc, and then use acronyms to imply that you know alot about the sector, but it's so immature.

This coming from the person who couldn't use google to find a list of investment banks...

It's perfectly acceptable to think about exit opps. The vast majority of juniors will leave an IBD job for exit opps, be that PE/VC/CorpDev etc. The job is a great spring board onto other things, and anyone worth their salt knows that going in. So don't crap on someone (who, despite being younger has a much better understanding of this whole career than you've exhibited throughout all of your posts thus far) for listing exit opps as a driver.

If you knew anything about ib gigs, you'd know that banks expect their analysts to leave, with a small proportion being promoted to associate.

You still have an attitude problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by studos

You just don't understand it. What motivates you to apply for IBD jobs then? Why do you want to be an investment banker? This is not an interview, answer it honestly
Original post by studos

LOOL studos on fire

But seriously its quite funny how you guys still waste your time giving this guy advice lol. Every time you give him advice and tell him the truth he refuses to listen..just make him happy and tell him he can get into IB no problem straight after his BEng at southbank.
Reply 39
Original post by Daniel9998
LOOL studos on fire

But seriously its quite funny how you guys still waste your time giving this guy advice lol. Every time you give him advice and tell him the truth he refuses to listen..just make him happy and tell him he can get into IB no problem straight after his BEng at southbank.

I see at linkedin a morgan stanley analyst from lbsu what's your point

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending