The Student Room Group

Are guys intimidated by tall and pretty girls?

Scroll to see replies

I always felt self-conscious about being tall (I'm around 5 foot 9), and I think a lot of tall girls feel the same way growing up so we slouch down and lack confidence. I'm still a lot taller than all of my friends, when they wear heels on a night out they're still shorter than me when I'm wearing flats, but because I actually stand up straight and I'm not embarrassed to be taller I feel a lot more confident with my appearance. I still want to be pretty and petite sometimes, but I'm a lot more accepting of my height now.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 21 and my younger cousin (19) is always complaining about how guys avoid making eye contact with her and don't look her direction at all. She's dated a few good looking guys but the fact that guys apparently don't seem to look at her makes her feel insecure.

She's a lot taller than me, I'm 5'3 she is 5'10 or 5'11. She is quite slim and has a really gorgeous face. I'm not just saying that because she is my cousin, she used to model and she has exotic cat shaped light eyes and full lips. She gets complimented practically everyday and is always told how pretty she is (I used to get jealous when we were younger but I'm fine now). I didn't believe her when she first told me so now these days when I go out with her I started noticing it, a lot of guys just completely avoid looking her way at all and I can't understand why. Are they intimidated or something?

Possibly.

I'm sure they look discreetly but just don't make eye contact.

Perhaps they assume she wouldn't be interested in them. They'd probably be right.

:wink:
Original post by stefano865
Possibly.

I'm sure they look discreetly but just don't make eye contact.

Perhaps they assume she wouldn't be interested in them. They'd probably be right.

:wink:

What makes you an expert on girls? :tongue:
Original post by Rhythmical
What makes you an expert on girls? :tongue:

I did speak to one irl once.

So basically an expert. :wink:
I did speak to one irl once.

So basically an expert. :wink:

Good for you. More than most guys on here lol.
Good for you. More than most guys on here lol.

My sister counts, right? :tongue:

So what did you think of my original advice?
My sister counts, right? :tongue:

So what did you think of my original advice?

No it does not. You wouldn't talk to a girl you fancy in the same way as a sister. And yeah eye contact can mean a sign of interest but it depends if it is in a busy place as it is hard to glance at someone and be interested in them.
Reply 67
Original post by DMcGovern
Wait, do you mean the Latymer or Latymer Upper?

Upper
I am 5"7 so I am 4 inches taller than the average female, so I totally understand the whole male being intimidated by taller girls, it doesnt matter though, I generally love being tall :smile: I stand out haha
No it does not. You wouldn't talk to a girl you fancy in the same way as a sister. And yeah eye contact can mean a sign of interest but it depends if it is in a busy place as it is hard to glance at someone and be interested in them.

But I do fancy my sister. We've been intimate for a long time. :wink:

Most men wouldn't approach a woman in the street anyway. Especially not a former model.

I wonder what sort of attention she gets in clubs and bars. Probably a lot.

Perhaps she should make eye contact with the men more strongly. If she likes the look of them.
Post a photo
But I do fancy my sister. We've been intimate for a long time. :wink:

Most men wouldn't approach a woman in the street anyway. Especially not a former model.

I wonder what sort of attention she gets in clubs and bars. Probably a lot.

Perhaps she should make eye contact with the men more strongly. If she likes the look of them.

That is disturbing...ew and I think a lot of men are shy. If they be direct with women then the reception is not lukewarm, it gets awkward. I tend to give out glances that are subtle. Any more and it looks creepy.
That is disturbing...ew and I think a lot of men are shy. If they be direct with women then the reception is not lukewarm, it gets awkward. I tend to give out glances that are subtle. Any more and it looks creepy.

Yes, men are pretty shy.

Perhaps the only way for a woman like this is to approach men herself.

I wonder about her body language. She probably seems very confident and powerful. Guess she could tone it down by dressing differently.

What about you? Do guys approach you. Would you approach a guy you like the look of?
Yes, men are pretty shy.

Perhaps the only way for a woman like this is to approach men herself.

I wonder about her body language. She probably seems very confident and powerful. Guess she could tone it down by dressing differently.

What about you? Do guys approach you. Would you approach a guy you like the look of?

If I approached a man, I would be nervous. Feels like it isn't right because they might not feel the same. If I really liked him then I might stop him. What about you?
If I approached a man, I would be nervous. Feels like it isn't right because they might not feel the same. If I really liked him then I might stop him. What about you?

I haven't.

Have had a few random conversations with girls in public but haven't stopped anyone in the street.

I guess you could offer your number to guys. Nothing to lose.
I haven't.

Have had a few random conversations with girls in public but haven't stopped anyone in the street.

I guess you could offer your number to guys. Nothing to lose.

The trouble is, there aren't really any decent guys around where I live. If I go to town, the guys look older than I am or already have a girl in their arms.
The trouble is, there aren't really any decent guys around where I live. If I go to town, the guys look older than I am or already have a girl in their arms.

:console:
:console:

It's sad. I want to be loved.
It's sad. I want to be loved.

:cry2:

Sounds like a fresh start in a new area might be a good idea.

Hope you find love.

:jumphug:
Reply 79
Original post by Charlotte49
I always felt self-conscious about being tall (I'm around 5 foot 9), and I think a lot of tall girls feel the same way growing up so we slouch down and lack confidence. I'm still a lot taller than all of my friends, when they wear heels on a night out they're still shorter than me when I'm wearing flats, but because I actually stand up straight and I'm not embarrassed to be taller I feel a lot more confident with my appearance. I still want to be pretty and petite sometimes, but I'm a lot more accepting of my height now.

The answer is yes; however, you're not tall enough to fit in that category

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending