The Student Room Group

Why do guys text loads and then go silent?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ServantOfMorgoth

Does *
Original post by Anonymous
Does *

I knew you meant does :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I might know who this is dose your name begin with D LOL

Nope :/
Reply 23
Original post by Tinemither
You should totally let the guys who will message you back into your life. They're normally a little less attractive, or not at all, relatively well educated and not up for sex or nudes. Sound good? Good. Because only dicks, pricks and douchebags fail to respond to messages.

I may take a while, but if you can hold up a conversation as well as I can, you will always get a reply.

Jesus Christ this is crap advice.

Sometimes guys and girls just don't have time for some of the **** texts that girls or people in general post. I think people who don't respond to texts that involve them needing something from another person(like a general nice post) is poor game personally. Personally I don't have time for the small talk how's life crap and just speak about the real reason why I tried to talk to you. I expect the same for other people, you're wasting my time saying what you really want to say in 10 texts that can be said in one.

If he likes you just kick it up a notch OP, spend more time with them and see whether they feel the same it's as simple as that.

Plus anyway it could be the case that the guy is unsure of what to say or just doesn't want to have a conversation at that moment in time. Some people you speak with when you send a few texts turns out to be a long winded conversation that you don't have time for.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Jesus Christ this is crap advice.

Sometimes guys and girls just don't have time for some of the **** texts that girls or people in general post. I think people who don't respond to texts that involve them needing something from another person(like a general nice post) is poor game personally. Personally I don't have time for the small talk how's life crap and just speak about the real reason why I tried to talk to you. I expect the same for other people, you're wasting my time saying what you really want to say in 10 texts that can be said in one.

If he likes you just kick it up a notch OP, spend more time with them and see whether they feel the same it's as simple as that.

Plus anyway it could be the case that the guy is unsure of what to say or just doesn't want to have a conversation at that moment in time. Some people you speak with when you send a few texts turns out to be a long winded conversation that you don't have time for.

Yeah same tbh I find texting and speaking to people over social media a bit draining in general and would rather see them in person. My convos always seem to never end when I just cba with talking over the phone but this guy replied fairly quickly and wrote quite in depth texts so it didn't seem like he disliked texting or snap chatting.

Surely it wouldn't be difficult to send a snapchat though?

He hasn't asked me out yet though and instead the contact seems to have significantly reduced. And I dont want to to ask him out since Im a believer in traditional relationships and the guy taking the lead, its just what I'd prefer.

I think I ought to move on though if I haven't heard from him at all?
Reply 25
Yeah same tbh I find texting and speaking to people over social media a bit draining in general and would rather see them in person. My convos always seem to never end when I just cba with talking over the phone but this guy replied fairly quickly and wrote quite in depth texts so it didn't seem like he disliked texting or snap chatting.

Surely it wouldn't be difficult to send a snapchat though?

He hasn't asked me out yet though and instead the contact seems to have significantly reduced. And I dont want to to ask him out since Im a believer in traditional relationships and the guy taking the lead, its just what I'd prefer.

I think I ought to move on though if I haven't heard from him at all?

Tbh I don't ever use Snapchat, I don't like taking pictures and snaps too much even though I have snapchat. But if he's making other snaps and don't respond to yours then I guess there's an issue(could be a good or bad thing)

Contact being reduced will naturally happen.

If you are a believer of that, ideally I'd like to say you should take the lead, however if you don't want to, then lead him to lead you if that makes sense. Give him hints that you'd like to spend more time together and things like that.
Well op. Sorru to bust your bubble, but some men in the 21st century arebt like that (you know, dur to "equality" & all that)

So my advice is like the last guys; but with an add on.

Suck it up, ask him out & see what happens. Not everything in life happens the way we want it. If guys can sstruggle for a millenia to deal with rejection, the surely one question shouldnt be too difficult. If you truly want him that is & wouldnt want him with someone else..
Original post by theDanIdentity
Well op. Sorru to bust your bubble, but some men in the 21st century arebt like that (you know, dur to "equality" & all that)

So my advice is like the last guys; but with an add on.

Suck it up, ask him out & see what happens. Not everything in life happens the way we want it. If guys can sstruggle for a millenia to deal with rejection, the surely one question shouldnt be too difficult. If you truly want him that is & wouldnt want him with someone else..

hmm the last thing i want is for someone to just go out with me just coz i asked

I think Im just going to have to move on..
Maybe he's just too busy? If he's not interested anymore, then just move on with your life.
Original post by amelia_lily
Maybe he's just too busy? If he's not interested anymore, then just move on with your life.

Yeah could be. How long should I hold out before I give up?
Calling @WoodyMKC for some advice, he always seems to know what he's talking about (not stalking, just observed!)
Calling @WoodyMKC for some advice, he always seems to know what he's talking about (not stalking, just observed!)

:colondollar: Thanks very much, but this is a tough one to answer as all guys are different :lol:

I mean, many guys know that the way to make a woman obsess over you is to ignore them, and they might be so inclined to play a few games to get you right on the hook so to speak.

Sometimes, though, other things get in the way. It's true that guys generally are crap at multi-tasking. Girls can be out shopping with their friends, or doing whatever they do for fun, and still be texting at the same time, whereas most guys tend to not have their minds on more than one thing at a time once they become immersed in something. Even if they notice their phone going off and they look at their phone and see a text message, if it's not urgent they'll probably just think "I'll text back soon" and will do so once they get a chance to relax without distraction.
It drives me nuts not knowing if they've lost interest or what, and it alwaaays seems to happen. I get annoyed and want to delete their number but that might be a bit rash :/

Girls does this happen to you? :

Spoiler

Ah, yes. Happens all the time, but usually its for a good reason, like; "sorry, I had to help my mum with something", "So sorry, fell asleep" etc. you get it. But I think that crazy paranoia of "oh well, he must be cheating on me because its taking him 2 minutes to reply back to my text!" is part of texting someone you like. Don't worry about it too much, just enjoy the craziness of the new level of stupidity we all enter into when we start talking to people we hope will be our future boyfriends,girlfriends etc.

Although may I add that crazy paranoia should not continue into your relationship, thats a red flag right there people. Just so we don't get confused about that :/
And then they text you months later. So strange.
It drives me nuts not knowing if they've lost interest or what, and it alwaaays seems to happen. I get annoyed and want to delete their number but that might be a bit rash :/

Girls does this happen to you? :

Spoiler

We say everything, then there is nothinh to chat about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WoodyMKC
:colondollar: Thanks very much, but this is a tough one to answer as all guys are different :lol:

I mean, many guys know that the way to make a woman obsess over you is to ignore them, and they might be so inclined to play a few games to get you right on the hook so to speak.

Sometimes, though, other things get in the way. It's true that guys generally are crap at multi-tasking. Girls can be out shopping with their friends, or doing whatever they do for fun, and still be texting at the same time, whereas most guys tend to not have their minds on more than one thing at a time once they become immersed in something. Even if they notice their phone going off and they look at their phone and see a text message, if it's not urgent they'll probably just think "I'll text back soon" and will do so once they get a chance to relax without distraction.

Thanks for your reply :smile: I've heard that a lot that guys get more absorbed in their tasks than women which I find interesting because obviously I'm a woman and haven't experienced men's ways of thinking :lol:

I should add that this guy had mentioned in passing that he doesn't like playing games when we first met, and that's throwing me off because I think 'surely if he doesn't like playing games and he's not texting anymore for so long, he must just not been interested'. Would someone who's interested in you forget to reply for a few days?? I've been in a similar situation before where I was obsessing over this and it ended in heartbreak for me :frown: I dont know :s-smilie:

Also this guy is very good looking/built as hell/sociable/popular, so maybe he's just way out of my league anyway and not interested anymore/has other women/higher priorities. I thought he seemed decent and he was showing interest in the beginning (e.g. texting back straight away, longish texts) and it's all dwindled down to nothing.

What do you think I should do? I'm not going to text him because if he's not interested it'll make me look like more of a nuisance and if he does reply I'll have my hopes up again for nothing. Sounds rash but I want to just delete his number so at least I can stop obsessing over this and move on in my mind!
Original post by keturah
And then they text you months later. So strange.

I've had texts weeks later, never months, and even then they text and STILL leave you hanging :lol: Like why even bother
Original post by DidiDana
Ah, yes. Happens all the time, but usually its for a good reason, like; "sorry, I had to help my mum with something", "So sorry, fell asleep" etc. you get it. But I think that crazy paranoia of "oh well, he must be cheating on me because its taking him 2 minutes to reply back to my text!" is part of texting someone you like. Don't worry about it too much, just enjoy the craziness of the new level of stupidity we all enter into when we start talking to people we hope will be our future boyfriends,girlfriends etc.

Although may I add that crazy paranoia should not continue into your relationship, thats a red flag right there people. Just so we don't get confused about that :/

Yeah I can see that but it's been a few days now! Surely if someone's interested they'd find time for a quick message no? Or is that normal? Sorry not very experienced here so not sure what's the norm or a red flag!!
I do that to see if they put some effort in too. Kinda helps to see how interested they are, I'm not going waste my time chasing someone
I've had texts weeks later, never months, and even then they text and STILL leave you hanging :lol: Like why even bother

I know! This guy I'd been dating just stopped replying, a month later he asks me if I want to meet up... I was like erm I think I'll pass thanks 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending