The Student Room Group

M2 General Question

Hello, could anybody tell me if I will need to learn C3 trig for M2 Kinematics (Edexcel). There is some of it in the textbook but I thought M2 was an AS module. Thanks
Reply 1
I was wondering the same thing as I haven't learnt C3 yet. I've never needed to use C3 in a past paper but the specification annoys me by saying it may be tested. If i have time i might learn a bit of trig tho.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by xyz9856
Hello, could anybody tell me if I will need to learn C3 trig for M2 Kinematics (Edexcel). There is some of it in the textbook but I thought M2 was an AS module. Thanks

'A knowledge of the specification for M1 and its prerequisitesand associated formulae, together with a knowledge of algebra,trigonometry, differentiation and integration, as specified in C1, C2and C3, is assumed and may be tested.' - from the spec. I've rarely seen questions on it in the exam but there are some in the textbook so no reason why they couldn't
Reply 3
Original post by samb1234
'A knowledge of the specification for M1 and its prerequisitesand associated formulae, together with a knowledge of algebra,trigonometry, differentiation and integration, as specified in C1, C2and C3, is assumed and may be tested.' - from the spec. I've rarely seen questions on it in the exam but there are some in the textbook so no reason why they couldn't

Should I learn C3 trig just to be safe?
Original post by xyz9856
Should I learn C3 trig just to be safe?

It's up to you. If you have time it's probably not a bad idea, but as I say i don't recall actually seeing any exam questions rely on it so it's your decision
Reply 5
Original post by samb1234
It's up to you. If you have time it's probably not a bad idea, but as I say i don't recall actually seeing any exam questions rely on it so it's your decision

alright thanks, I might just learn how to do sinx and cosx
Original post by xyz9856

M2 is actually an A2 module, so you do need to have a full knowledge of C1, C2, and C3.
Reply 7
Original post by HapaxOromenon2
M2 is actually an A2 module, so you do need to have a full knowledge of C1, C2, and C3.

nice username haha, but on the front of the papers it says 'Advanced/Advanced Subsidiary'. Is it just knowledge of how to differentiate cosx and sinx?
Reply 8
Original post by AAls
I was wondering the same thing as I haven't learnt C3 yet. I've never needed to use C3 in a past paper but the specification annoys me by saying it may be tested. If i have time i might learn a bit of trig tho.

The only place where I can see C3 being used is when finding the cartesian equation of trajectory because you need to know the identity for 1/cos^2x which is sec^2x but then writing it as 1+tan^2x. If you just learn the identities then you can apply them intuitively. Examsolutions has a good video about this.
Original post by xyz9856
nice username haha, but on the front of the papers it says 'Advanced/Advanced Subsidiary'. Is it just knowledge of how to differentiate cosx and sinx?

In the specification it's listed as an A2 unit. See page 12 of
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UA035243_GCE_Lin_Maths_Issue_3.pdf.

Theoretically any of C1, C2, and C3 is assumed knowledge, but since I don't do mechanics I can't say which bits would be used for mechanics problems. I would take Logic938's advice since he seems to know about this.

Quick Reply

Latest