The Student Room Group

Legal highs kill 50 people per year. Smoking kills 100,000. We're banning legal highs

Why would anyone support this? How many supporters of banning legal highs also want to ban smoking? Self-righteous hypocrites.

Scroll to see replies

smoking is a mug's game

legal highs is a mug's game
Original post by the bear
smoking is a mug's game

legal highs is a mug's game

Driving is a mug's game.
It comes down to one thing, Money.
Not defending the case, but smoking is incredibly more common than taking legal highs, so of course more people will die from it.
While I would like to ban both as they are both disgusting acts, banning cigarettes would probably cause a civil war.
I just think there should be dedicated smoking places I am fed up of coming out the train station and having a bunch of chavs smoking and vaping.
Or walking behind someone who is trying to pretend to be a steam train
Source for 100k figure
Reply 8
The only reason tobacco/alcohol is legal is because it's been a part of our culture for so long.

Legal highs are a loophole allowing newsagents to sell anything from benzo fury (MDMA substitute, ps i got sold this at 16...) and all the terrible synthetic cannabis, it's also affecting the black market as dealers are passing these off as the real thing. We know how things like MJ affect us not the artificial ****.

Most people on legal highs are homeless, it's shutting down an industry that is thriving of getting kids/homeless people hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6pmc7Tpx4w
Original post by AperfectBalance
While I would like to ban both as they are both disgusting acts, banning cigarettes would probably cause a civil war.
I just think there should be dedicated smoking places I am fed up of coming out the train station and having a bunch of chavs smoking and vaping.
Or walking behind someone who is trying to pretend to be a steam trai#

n

What's disguising about legal highs?
You seriously can't be supporting that legal highs remain legally available? Untested chemicals that replicate the effects of illegal drugs, with unknown side effects and can cause death instantly? You are literally gambling with your life by ingesting or smoking these artificial substitutes... Im not advocating for anyone to do drugs, but if you're heart is so set on doing it then buy the real thing and test it, at least you know what you're getting and the ambulance can help you if you have a bad reaction.
Original post by Davij038
What's disguising about legal highs?

I find anyone who uses drugs for recreational means to be pretty disgusting , It can create people and small cultures that are very hostile and can run down places.
Of course.

The number of people who smoke and the regularity with which they smoke is far greater than legal high users.

The point is...both are no good. :wink:
Cigarettes are a massive source of tax revenue, and also because of such a high demand, black market activity for them would just explode if they were made illegal. It would work as well as probation did for the Americans for Alcohol.
Original post by JordanL_
Why would anyone support this? How many supporters of banning legal highs also want to ban smoking? Self-righteous hypocrites.

Too much Tax is generated from it. The British American Tobacco (BAT) and others are very good at lobbying governments to make huge amounts of money from selling an additive substance and poisoning people.
Reply 15
Something really doesn't sit easy with me with the government enforcing a blanket ban on anything remotely mind altering. It's almost as if they want us to be obedient little mindless workers for our corporate overlords. Who'd have thought it. It's so incredibly totalitarian and I'm not sure they even realise it. Lest us forget that 'legal highs' were primarily created and used in the first place because of the idiotic practice of criminalising existing drugs.
Reply 16
Because getting high is such an important issue right now....you pothead.
Original post by cBay
Something really doesn't sit easy with me with the government enforcing a blanket ban on anything remotely mind altering. It's almost as if they want us to be obedient little mindless workers for our corporate overlords. Who'd have thought it. It's so incredibly totalitarian and I'm not sure they even realise it. Lest us forget that 'legal highs' were primarily created and used in the first place because of the idiotic practice of criminalising existing drugs.

This is just crazy
Original post by cBay

when you know someone who's death was partly caused by the consumption of a legal high, perhaps you'd think again. I'm not trying to passive aggressive poke you, but I don't know how else to convey that these substances should not remain legal.

Spoiler

Original post by ghost88
Cigarettes are a massive source of tax revenue, and also because of such a high demand, black market activity for them would just explode if they were made illegal. It would work as well as probation did for the Americans for Alcohol.

So your saying making drugs illegal makes the problem much bigger?

Imagine if smoking was illegal and we couldn't get all the tax on it but still had to fork out the bill if has on the NHS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending