The Student Room Group

Learning Disabilities

Hi,

just wanted to know if there's anyone here who's been through this or are going through this right now.. I'm currently being tested for possible LD (dyscalculia and dyslexia). At what point do you "declare" the LD to the Uni that you're applying to, and would it affect your chances of getting a place? I have not received the results of my testing as it is ongoing (but would be completed before term starts in September), and I've gotten 1 conditional offer so far. I'm not sure what to do and I'm kinda worried :frown:
Original post by Azzyrainbow
Hi,

just wanted to know if there's anyone here who's been through this or are going through this right now.. I'm currently being tested for possible LD (dyscalculia and dyslexia). At what point do you "declare" the LD to the Uni that you're applying to, and would it affect your chances of getting a place? I have not received the results of my testing as it is ongoing (but would be completed before term starts in September), and I've gotten 1 conditional offer so far. I'm not sure what to do and I'm kinda worried :frown:

Declare whenever you feel comfortable I did it once I got my offers. The sooner you tell them the sooner you get support in place, there really is nothing to worry about as it won't affect your place :smile: you d be surprised I actually met 3 fellow dyslexics once I started my course which was great not to be the only one. If I can be any more help let me know:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Declare whenever you feel comfortable I did it once I got my offers. The sooner you tell them the sooner you get support in place, there really is nothing to worry about as it won't affect your place :smile: you d be surprised I actually met 3 fellow dyslexics once I started my course which was great not to be the only one. If I can be any more help let me know:smile:

Thanks for the reply! I just feel like I'm being dishonest if I don't declare it, but it's not like I have the results atm and when I do have it, it is going to be after the acceptance of offers period. I was planning on visiting the Uni's DSA team once I go over and am settled down..

I'm just really hesitating because I have BPD as well and I'm not sure if that needs to be declared or if they could do anything since it is mental health issues. I'm applying as a mature student and I'd dropped out of an UK uni before.. :/
Thanks for the reply! I just feel like I'm being dishonest if I don't declare it, but it's not like I have the results atm and when I do have it, it is going to be after the acceptance of offers period. I was planning on visiting the Uni's DSA team once I go over and am settled down..

I'm just really hesitating because I have BPD as well and I'm not sure if that needs to be declared or if they could do anything since it is mental health issues. I'm applying as a mature student and I'd dropped out of an UK uni before.. :/

It depends who you're finding body is but I d recommend declaring early(maybe tell them as soon as you get the results back) as sfe take literally 2 months to sort out dsa (the others are faster). If you declare your BPD you would be able to see a mental health mentor, I ve not had one of those myself but many people find them really beneficial and some universities have their own mental health services with counselling if you ever wanted to use it.

I can understand why you feel anxious to declare but I ve only had positive experiences as a result of it and (not something I tell people often) in fact I was a little ashamed about my dyslexia and dyspraxia at times before starting uni but now I m very confident in telling people I have them :smile:
Reply 4
It depends who you're finding body is but I d recommend declaring early(maybe tell them as soon as you get the results back) as sfe take literally 2 months to sort out dsa (the others are faster). If you declare your BPD you would be able to see a mental health mentor, I ve not had one of those myself but many people find them really beneficial and some universities have their own mental health services with counselling if you ever wanted to use it.

I can understand why you feel anxious to declare but I ve only had positive experiences as a result of it and (not something I tell people often) in fact I was a little ashamed about my dyslexia and dyspraxia at times before starting uni but now I m very confident in telling people I have them :smile:

I'm psyching myself up for that but one of my problems is being able to understand how/when to talk about such things >< plus I'm an intl student so I feel like it would be even more stuff to knock me off with if you get what I mean.. I was warded over Christmas in Wales so I bet the record is still there...
I'm psyching myself up for that but one of my problems is being able to understand how/when to talk about such things >< plus I'm an intl student so I feel like it would be even more stuff to knock me off with if you get what I mean.. I was warded over Christmas in Wales so I bet the record is still there...

Oh i see, as an international student I would speak to somebody as student support sooner than later as funding support is different to if you were an english student but i still think it would be a good idea for you to declare it :smile:
Reply 6
Oh i see, as an international student I would speak to somebody as student support sooner than later as funding support is different to if you were an english student but i still think it would be a good idea for you to declare it :smile:

I wouldn't have funding support at all for 2/3 of the unis I applied to, the last one gives it to all intl students so it should be fine haha I'm not so much worried about the financial part as I am about the possibility of being warded again :frown: makes me want to withdraw my applications but then this thread would have to be moved to the mental health side I suppose haha
I wouldn't have funding support at all for 2/3 of the unis I applied to, the last one gives it to all intl students so it should be fine haha I'm not so much worried about the financial part as I am about the possibility of being warded again :frown: makes me want to withdraw my applications but then this thread would have to be moved to the mental health side I suppose haha

I wouldnt withdraw your application, i m sure your universities will be able to help somehow :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest