The Student Room Group

Why Do mostly White Girls smoke?

When Im out clubbing and pop out 4 a fag, its never Asian or Black girls in the smoking area :s-smilie:

Why? (if their non Muslim) (no racist)

Im popular, and the only other girls I know who have even tried smoking are white. Is it cultural :confused: missing out ladies x

Scroll to see replies

Lots of non-white people smoke. Just because you've never seen them, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
I really do not think it is the case that proportionally more whites than black smoke, just that in England we have more whites, and you are more likely to see white people, so therefore you are more likely to see them smoke
Because 'modern women'
Reply 4
Because they are white trash lol
Why did you feel the need to mention you are popular
In the UK I actually don't think they do - today less than 20% of women smoke. That's fallen from around twice that proportion in the 70s. I would say the influence of advertising and the emergence of youth culture from the 60s onwards were major driving factors. As people have become wiser to the dangers of it (more informed by research that was previously withheld from them) and the cigarette companies have become relatively less powerful (partly due to post-colonialism and other rising sectors) the culture has shifted. Today there are increasing regulations against the advertisement and sale of tobacco; smoking does not hold that same 'cultural sweet spot' for young people it once did. It is likely that it will continue to decline, perhaps until it is viewed comparatively as negatively as it is in some parts of US society. Interestingly, smoking does not have the same image in other parts of Europe, such as in France where 30% of women smoke (I think this may be partly to do wit the warmer climate).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AperfectBalance
I really do not think it is the case that proportionally more whites than black smoke, just that in England we have more whites, and you are more likely to see white people, so therefore you are more likely to see them smoke

No. I'm quite certain that more white women smoke. In London, most of the female smokers I see are white despite there being as many, or more non-white women.

This is because the cultures that these white women come from are incredibly individualistic. Asian girls (and black girls to a lesser extent) are far more family orientated and therefore have more responsibilities in terms of their reputation. A white woman largely doesn't have to care about any of that because her family and community are too busy focusing of themselves rather than their communities. It's the same reason why white girls are more promiscuous. Furthermore, the binge-drinking culture is mostly prevalent among whites and smoking, drugs and heavy drinking all compliment each other. Seeing white women smoke is a daily occurrence. On the other hand, the last time I saw an Asian girl openly smoking was maybe a few weeks or months ago? I can't remember. It's unfortunate, but that's what I've learnt observing and living in London for 22 years.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
No. I'm quite certain that more white women smoke. In London, most of the female smokers I see are white despite there being as many, or more non-white women.

This is because the cultures that these white women come from are incredibly individualistic. Asian girls (and black girls to a lesser extent) are far more family orientated and therefore have more responsibilities in terms of their reputation. A white woman largely doesn't have to care about any of that because her family and community are too busy focusing of themselves rather than their communities. It's the same reason why white girls are more promiscuous. Furthermore, the binge-drinking culture is mostly prevalent among whites and smoking, drugs and heavy drinking all compliment each other. Seeing white women smoke is a daily occurrence. On the other hand, the last time I saw an Asian girl openly smoking was maybe a few weeks or months ago? I can't remember. It's unfortunate, but that's what I've learnt observing and living in London for 22 years.

I am pretty sure white girls are not more promiscuous than black or any other skin colour. nor are drugs or drinking
I am pretty sure white girls are not more promiscuous than black or any other skin colour. nor are drugs or drinking

You can think that if you want to. I'm telling you what I've seen in a city that has as many (or more) non-white and white women.
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
You can think that if you want to. I'm telling you what I've seen in a city that has as many (or more) non-white and white women.

Well just because you see something does not make it true, all the polish I know in my school are *******s, does that mean that all polish are *******s? No
Well just because you see something does not make it true, all the polish I know in my school are *******s, does that mean that all polish are *******s? No

You should try reading properly Jeff. I said white women are far more likely to smoke than non-white women, not that all white women do so. Indeed the majority of white women don't smoke. Next time post something more coherent.
Their parents give less crap about them, so they generally do whatever they want.
Because non-whites have more of a realistic idea of the real price of tobacco from their own countries. Not the phony De-beers like crap the UK government likes to pull.

You'll find the same applies for alcohol.
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous
Their parents give less crap about them, so they generally do whatever they want.

wtf? Im spoiled :lol:
Original post by HotHipster
wtf? Im spoiled :lol:

this is not about being spoiled, your parents can give you materialistic items and still not give craps about what you're doing.
chinese people smoke like chimenys. Perhaps that is why they are smart academically huh huh
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
this is not about being spoiled, your parents can give you materialistic items and still not give craps about what you're doing.

tru
Well I'm brown and Muslim and we can smoke, nothing in the Quran says we can't. But maybe it's because of culture (Pakistani) that it's looked down upon to harm your body eg drugs, alcohol.
Reply 19
Original post by Paniniception
Well I'm brown and Muslim and we can smoke, nothing in the Quran says we can't. But maybe it's because of culture (Pakistani) that it's looked down upon to harm your body eg drugs, alcohol.

doesnt Islam ban drinking and smoking :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending