The Student Room Group

Will I Make Friends At University??

Hi

I will be going to University this September and prior to this have struggled making friends. Although im not sure why.

Im sort of a introvert, however once i am comfortable in a situation i tend to let myself go and just be normal sort of thing (sorry if this is sounding like waffle). I do however tend to get bored/annoyed with people easily as i find it hard to trust many for various reasons and small things will just trigger me to go full bitch face with that person.

In addition, im not at all interested in making friends with people who have a bad influence, such as people who take drugs, smoke etc etc. Even though i have no friends i would definitely not make friends with people just for the sake of it.

I suppose my real question is, how do i make myself more approachable at university, and have friends. A few years ago i was very popular and had a large group of friends but it all sort of drifted after school ended.

I dont really drink, but love going out (is that strange?), i love partying and just having a good time without the need to drink and i dont mind people being drunk around me.

Someone help??!?
University is completely different from school as it is a much more diverse community with so many different interests.

Why don't you try to join some societies/Clubs as therefore you will be exposed to people who share the same interests and hobbies as you.

Are you staying in halls ? As if so, you will be introduced to your new flat mates and others in the neighbouring flats and there will be so many flat parties during freshers where you can have a good time and meet lots of new friends in a really relaxed and exciting environment.

Hope this helps ! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by evalilyXOX
University is completely different from school as it is a much more diverse community with so many different interests.

Why don't you try to join some societies/Clubs as therefore you will be exposed to people who share the same interests and hobbies as you.

Are you staying in halls ? As if so, you will be introduced to your new flat mates and others in the neighbouring flats and there will be so many flat parties during freshers where you can have a good time and meet lots of new friends in a really relaxed and exciting environment.

Hope this helps ! :smile:

I am looking to join a few societies but i just think i give off the wrong impression to people, i had no shortage of friends until after GCSE really.

And yes i am staying in the university accommodation, and im guessing you are at university? Is it true that if you dont drink you wont really be liked etc? Thankyou for your reply :smile: x
I have the exact same worries as you, so I'll be watching this thread. Sorry I have no advice, but I hope things work out for you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I have the exact same worries as you, so I'll be watching this thread. Sorry I have no advice, but I hope things work out for you :smile:

Hi,

Its okay, it sucks, but im sure im thinking this too much and it will probably be nothing like it. Thankyou, same for you :smile: x
Original post by ColdRivers
I am looking to join a few societies but i just think i give off the wrong impression to people, i had no shortage of friends until after GCSE really.

And yes i am staying in the university accommodation, and im guessing you are at university? Is it true that if you dont drink you wont really be liked etc? Thankyou for your reply :smile: x

You seem to put yourself down a lot instead of looking at the positives. You got into uni and are about to start this new and exciting chapter in your life. Go in with a positive attitude and just take things day by day. :smile:

yeah I am currently in second year, and i personally do not drink and have gotten along just fine making friends and joining new societies.

You will be absolutely fine ! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending