The Student Room Group

Colleges that offer further maths (additional) modules ? (around london)

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone knows of any sixth form colleges that offer any further maths (additional) modules in/around London or Surrey ?

I.e Fp3/m3/m4/m5 etc

thanks very much
Reply 1
Original post by Patrick2810
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone knows of any sixth form colleges that offer any further maths (additional) modules in/around London or Surrey ?

I.e Fp3/m3/m4/m5 etc

thanks very much

Presumably you are already studying Maths and FM somewhere (but are not doing FP3 or M3)? Are you looking to be taught or an exam centre where you can enter?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Compost
Presumably you are already studying Maths and FM somewhere (but are not doing FP3 or M3)? Are you looking to be taught or an exam centre where you can enter?

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I am currently in year 13 and have studied c1,c2,c3,c4,m1,m2,s1,s2,d1,d2,fp2 and have an offer to study physics at uni but am trying to plan for if I miss my offer. I am looking to be taught and the further mechanics modules are preferable as well as FP3. Also I have done all these under edexcel and see that some places do AQA where you can study FP3 and FP4, however will I be allowed to study these as there is some overlap from edexcel fp2 and AQA fp3?

Thanks again.
Reply 3
Hi

Thanks for your reply. I am currently in year 13 and have studied c1,c2,c3,c4,m1,m2,s1,s2,d1,d2,fp2 and have an offer to study physics at uni but am trying to plan for if I miss my offer. I am looking to be taught and the further mechanics modules are preferable as well as FP3. Also I have done all these under edexcel and see that some places do AQA where you can study FP3 and FP4, however will I be allowed to study these as there is some overlap from edexcel fp2 and AQA fp3?

If you've successfully gained A levels you are unlikely to get a place for free to continue. Stick with Edexcel - it would give you far more flexibility in which units go in which qualification. Most of the people I know who have taken AFM have self-taught so I'd look into that.
Original post by Compost
If you've successfully gained A levels you are unlikely to get a place for free to continue. Stick with Edexcel - it would give you far more flexibility in which units go in which qualification. Most of the people I know who have taken AFM have self-taught so I'd look into that.

Thanks for your reply. Self study would not be ideal - do you think anywhere would accept me and are you aware of any colleges in london/surrey that offer these modules?

thanks
Reply 5
Thanks for your reply. Self study would not be ideal - do you think anywhere would accept me and are you aware of any colleges in london/surrey that offer these modules?

Sorry, not my part of the country. My school does both M3 and FP3 in FM, but they wouldn't be prepared to have miscellaneous adults studying odd units for free and I suspect that would be true for most centres that offer them - hence the suggestion to self-study.
Original post by Compost
Sorry, not my part of the country. My school does both M3 and FP3 in FM, but they wouldn't be prepared to have miscellaneous adults studying odd units for free and I suspect that would be true for most centres that offer them - hence the suggestion to self-study.

I understand what you're saying, however I would apply to 6th form colleges and not schools, and I would assume there must be other people who have had to take forced gap years and want to study in it too no?
Reply 7
Even if you were a student, very few schools would have the time/resources/expertise to teach all of the modules for maths.
Reply 8
I understand what you're saying, however I would apply to 6th form colleges and not schools,

They wouldn't get funding for you either.

Quick Reply

Latest