The Student Room Group

Water waves

Why do waves meet the shore at right angles or nearly so? Explain using refraction . Help would be appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Futurechemist
Why do waves meet the shore at right angles or nearly so? Explain using refraction . Help would be appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

As it happens jennifer50 recently posted a nice diagram of the effect of refraction on waves moving from deep to shallow water in this thread
I understand that wave is slower in shallow water but how does that affect the angle at which it meets the shore?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Futurechemist
I understand that wave is slower in shallow water but how does that affect the angle at which it meets the shore?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Change in speed causes refraction... the change in direction is shown in the diagram. the rule is Snell's law which says

sin 1)/sin 2)=v1/v2

look at the diagram I just linked to, draw a normal to the boundary between deep and shallow water and see if the direction of travel of the waves in deep water is making a different angle to the normal than the direction of travel of the waves in the shallow water.

the question is asking you about waves hitting the shore with a direction of travel which makes a small angle to the normal... waves hitting the shore are by definition moving from deeper water into shallower water.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest