The Student Room Group

Am I chavy

Hi my older sister called me a chav just because I wear my full grey slazanger tracksuit all the time. Does she have a point ?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, while you may not actually be a chav what you are doing is a big chav indicator
Reply 2
hope u wash it :/
How do you define "chav"? Everyone's definition will be different. To those who pass you on the street and don't speak to you, I expect they do judge to you be a chav. Because society has taught itself that tracksuits are "chavvy". However, you may also have attributes which aren't considered "chavvy".

Do you see it as a negatve thing? Your view on what you wear is the most important. If you were in someone else's shoes looking at yourself, what would your impression be?

Personally I'll wear whatever around the house but always put some jeans on and usually swap the hoodie for something a little less sloppy unless it's just a trip to the local supermarket.
Reply 4
Original post by shawtyb
hope u wash it :/

I do we'll my mum does lol
Reply 5
Yes; that and the fact you go by 'Tom-o', which ranks on the Global Chav Index somewhere between 'Callum' and 'Brooklyn'.
Reply 6
Original post by carrotstar
How do you define "chav"? Everyone's definition will be different. To those who pass you on the street and don't speak to you, I expect they do judge to you be a chav. Because society has taught itself that tracksuits are "chavvy". However, you may also have attributes which aren't considered "chavvy".

Do you see it as a negatve thing? Your view on what you wear is the most important. If you were in someone else's shoes looking at yourself, what would your impression be?

Personally I'll wear whatever around the house but always put some jeans on and usually swap the hoodie for something a little less sloppy unless it's just a trip to the local supermarket.

People sometimes look down on me when I'm out with my parents or friends
Reply 7
Original post by Tomo5000
People sometimes look down on me when I'm out with my parents or friends

That can probably be chalked up to a simple calcium deficiency (whilst admittedly, also proving their point).
Funny story;
For the whole year I have been dressing "comfortably", until the other day my housemate says "why do you dress like a chav?"
I said omg, I like to dress comfortably.

prob why I cant pickup girls but yolo
Yes, a full tracksuit comes off as lazy and thus chavy to a lot of people. Also, 'chaviness' is often associated with thievery, as what is better to commit a crime in than a full tracksuit(black/grey) maybe with a complimentary balaclava:wink:
Reply 10
Original post by Aydin7
Yes, a full tracksuit comes off as lazy and thus chavy to a lot of people. Also, 'chaviness' is often associated with thievery, as what is better to commit a crime in than a full tracksuit(black/grey) maybe with a complimentary balaclava:wink:

Why does it come across as lazy ?
Yes

Pls buy a shirt and some nice pants smh
Reply 12
Original post by Serine Soul
Yes

Pls buy a shirt and some nice pants smh

My parents buy me stuff I have no money :-(
Why does it come across as lazy ?

Several reasons. Firstly, since they are seen as negatively chavy, it's lazy to not bother about your appearance and put something else like jeans on. In addition, you are sacrificing the more formal choice of jeans for something else, presumably because its more conformable, this is lazy.

More controversially, the majority of tracksuit wearers live in council housing and are on benefits, this itself is seem as lazy as people think those on benefits are lazy for not having a job.

Lastly, tracksuits are designed for working out lounging about in your house. By wearing them for 'whatever' it implies your too lazy to get changed from whatever else you were doing.
Reply 14
Original post by Aydin7
Several reasons. Firstly, since they are seen as negatively chavy, it's lazy to not bother about your appearance and put something else like jeans on. In addition, you are sacrificing the more formal choice of jeans for something else, presumably because its more conformable, this is lazy.

More controversially, the majority of tracksuit wearers live in council housing and are on benefits, this itself is seem as lazy as people think those on benefits are lazy for not having a job.

Lastly, tracksuits are designed for working out lounging about in your house. By wearing them for 'whatever' it implies your too lazy to get changed from whatever else you were doing.

I care about my appearance we'll my hair and I make sure I match my tracksuits and my parents work so we don't live free and stuff
Hi my older sister called me a chav just because I wear my full grey slazanger tracksuit all the time. Does she have a point ?

If you look like a chav expect to get judged as one; it's quite simple; even if you aren't one
th're is nothing wrong with being a chav

it is v'ry bad of me to lie
Reply 17
Would it help if I didn't wear my hood up when I'm out ?
Would it help if I didn't wear my hood up when I'm out ?

No. Just don't wear tracksuits unless your at the gym or something. Even then you only really need to wear the bottoms
I care about my appearance we'll my hair and I make sure I match my tracksuits and my parents work so we don't live free and stuff

The best way to show you care about your appearance isn't to wear a tracksuit.

As for your parent's income that is irrelevant. You asked why tracksuits come across as lazy, and i told you it inherits partly from those on benefits as that's mostly who wears them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending