The Student Room Group

Warwick or Bristol

Hi Guys,

I am really torn out between whether to firm Warwick for Law or Bristol. I am an international student who really hopes to get a training contract in the UK. Location and Living costs are not really that vital for me. I am more interested in academics and particularly employability. I have researched modules and clubs and both the unis have great ones. Bristol I've seen is known very well in the UK and ranking wise. Warwick also has one of the best reps and prospects in the UK though rankings wise it is behind in Law.

What would you recommend and why?
They're both very good. In general, there isn't much of a difference in reputation, teaching quality etc. (although that could be different for law, I don't know). The obvious thing to chose between is the location (Bristol being a city uni, Warwick being a campus), but I appreciate that might not matter to you (I'm also having to choose between Bristol and Warwick, and I'm not really bothered by that factor either).
Reply 2
Original post by ArsalanBac
Hi Guys,

I am really torn out between whether to firm Warwick for Law or Bristol. I am an international student who really hopes to get a training contract in the UK. Location and Living costs are not really that vital for me. I am more interested in academics and particularly employability. I have researched modules and clubs and both the unis have great ones. Bristol I've seen is known very well in the UK and ranking wise. Warwick also has one of the best reps and prospects in the UK though rankings wise it is behind in Law.

They're both relatively similar, and you can't go wrong with either. If you're interested in a career in law, then I would recommend bristol. Although not conclusive, the chambers study shows considerably more bristol graduates working for top law firms. This is not necessarily because bristol is better than warwick, but should be taken into consideration.
Reply 3
Yep tHats also what I found out and it does make Bristol's case stronger. I do also have a slight interest for consulting and Warwick is the top for business related jobs after Oxbridge and LSE. Generally Warwicks Law dep is good but still improving while Bristols is established. Also with the chambers study is it possible that Bristol did well because it has a large student body of law students than Warwick?
Reply 4
Would it be stupid to firm one and insure another. This is because both have AAA offers though Bristol does allow A*AB so that might help. I'm scared though that with something like AAB I'll end up in clearing! I also have Manchester at ABB so might insure them. Any advice here? Much appreciated :smile:
Reply 5
Yep tHats also what I found out and it does make Bristol's case stronger. I do also have a slight interest for consulting and Warwick is the top for business related jobs after Oxbridge and LSE. Generally Warwicks Law dep is good but still improving while Bristols is established. Also with the chambers study is it possible that Bristol did well because it has a large student body of law students than Warwick?

Yeah there's a few variables to consider when looking at the study, but as a rough indicator it is useful.

As for your other post, it would make the most sense to firm bristol / warwick and insurance manchester. Having bristol as your insurance seems very risky if you're worried about making AAA.
Hi Guys,

Both are great schools. I think you should look at the location to see where you would prefer living for the next 3 years and make your decision based on that.
Reply 7
Original post by zero_gravity
Both are great schools. I think you should look at the location to see where you would prefer living for the next 3 years and make your decision based on that.

Like others have said, it would not harm you going to either. Bristol is a top 10 law school and Warwick is not far off. I have a friend at Warwick doing Law and the networking opportunities and open days she has had with the Magic Circle/Silver Circle and big US firms is amazing. For the Bar both universities are good also, I know the QC who prosecuted the Becky Watts murder who did Law at Warwick. David Cameron's QC brother studied Law at Bristol. Bristol require LNAT and Warwick do not. I would use costs and the feel of the place as the deciding factor for you. I have friends studying in Bristol and it is a lovely city whereas Warwick is quite drab surroundings. That is my opinion of course. Both unis are very popular with big firms so you do not have to worry about their reputation and they are in the Russell Group. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending