The Student Room Group

Veterinary work experience

So I desperately want to apply for veterinary this October and I was wondering how many weeks work experience current vet students ACTUALLY had before applying? I know that most uni's want between 6-10 weeks but did people who did way more find it useful or did some people get in without the required amount of weeks etc etc
Depends where you're applying and also on your fellow cohort. When I applied over a year ago, I applied to Liverpool with about 15 weeks work experience but was rejected before interview due to it being insufficient. However, this year people have informed me they've got offers for, Liverpool with 9 weeks WEX. I think most other vet schools a happy with about 6-8. What's more important is you variety and quality of work experience; you want experience you can learn a lot from and talk about in your PS & at interview.
Don't despair! You still have plenty of time to get some stuff in over summer. You can even book stuff that you will carry out after your application has been sent off- as long as you it is organised and certain you will do it, it will count. Worst comes to worst you do what many people have to do and do a gap year to get more experience :smile:
Thanks, that's really helpful :smile: I'm aiming for variety more than loads of weeks at the moment, I think I'll be able to get around 6-8 weeks before I apply and I wasn't thinking of applying to Liverpool so hopefully I'll be ok.. which uni did you go to in the end?
This might be a stupid question but would pet sitting for friends and work at my family farm count as wex too?
Original post by B.Humphris99
This might be a stupid question but would pet sitting for friends and work at my family farm count as wex too?

No, it has to be an external farm which isn't family owned, and pet sitting doesn't count, it must be kennels/cattery.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are struggling to get the amount of work experience in try going back to a placement at weekends. For example, I did between a half day to a full Saturday at a rescue kennels over a long period of time and this quickly added up as an addition to what I did during the school holidays.

I would try to get as much as you can and as much variety so long as it isn't impacting on your grades as these are important too. There's no magic number for what you should get.

Good luck!
Original post by SilverstarDJ
If you are struggling to get the amount of work experience in try going back to a placement at weekends. For example, I did between a half day to a full Saturday at a rescue kennels over a long period of time and this quickly added up as an addition to what I did during the school holidays.

I would try to get as much as you can and as much variety so long as it isn't impacting on your grades as these are important too. There's no magic number for what you should get.

Good luck!

Thank you! Problem is at the moment I have a saturday job at a local pharmacy. However, I'll probably be leaving there in the summer so I am looking into places that I could possibly volunteer at instead.
Thanks, that's really helpful :smile: I'm aiming for variety more than loads of weeks at the moment, I think I'll be able to get around 6-8 weeks before I apply and I wasn't thinking of applying to Liverpool so hopefully I'll be ok.. which uni did you go to in the end?

I'm at Nottingham and also had an offer at RVC :smile:
Original post by Louiseee_
I'm at Nottingham and also had an offer at RVC :smile:

Nottingham looks so nice, I met 2 students from there on a lambing placement and they said about how good it is there:smile:
Nottingham looks so nice, I met 2 students from there on a lambing placement and they said about how good it is there:smile:

Well I mean we are pretty great :biggrin:
An I would agree, volunteering long term is a great way to get experience :smile:
So I desperately want to apply for veterinary this October and I was wondering how many weeks work experience current vet students ACTUALLY had before applying? I know that most uni's want between 6-10 weeks but did people who did way more find it useful or did some people get in without the required amount of weeks etc etc

While I wouldn't advise doing it at all, it is possible to get in with a lot less work experience than a lot of people might have. I had one week at a small animal practice, and Wednesday afternoons for about 4 months. Other than that I had three days with an optomostist, Saturdays at a stables for three years (some of which didn't count because of time limits) and a week at a safari park.
No farming, no lambing, no large animal practices.

I got interviews at Cambridge, Nottingham and Bristol. Cambridge my BMAT let me down massively, and I messed up my Notts interview, but I got an offer from Bristol. Any time I talk to other vets I feel massively guilty because I feel like I have no work experience compared to them, but a lot of it is down to how you write about it and what you take from it. Plus I feel like my grades and other extra-curricular things probably helped.

So to summarise, it's possible with less work experience, but it's super stressful and I wouldn't recommend it :biggrin:
Original post by clo-jo11
While I wouldn't advise doing it at all, it is possible to get in with a lot less work experience than a lot of people might have. I had one week at a small animal practice, and Wednesday afternoons for about 4 months. Other than that I had three days with an optomostist, Saturdays at a stables for three years (some of which didn't count because of time limits) and a week at a safari park.

I got interviews at Cambridge, Nottingham and Bristol. Cambridge my BMAT let me down massively, and I messed up my Notts interview, but I got an offer from Bristol. Any time I talk to other vets I feel massively guilty because I feel like I have no work experience compared to them, but a lot of it is down to how you write about it and what you take from it. Plus I feel like my grades and other extra-curricular things probably helped.

So to summarise, it's possible with less work experience, but it's super stressful and I wouldn't recommend it :biggrin:

Thanks for the advice:smile: that still sounds like quite a bit! Everyone seems to be saying its more about what you take from it so I'm making case note type things about what I've learnt in the hope that it'll count for more too..
Reply 12
Original post by clo-jo11

In regards to the time constraints mentioned, how long ago do they consider it? I've called Admissions for Liverpool but the woman who deals with the more in depth Veterinary enquiries is off until Monday and I am stressing myself out. My work experience runs back to 2013, do you think that is too far back to be considered? I don't mind doing it again, I absolutely loved it and have some different ones planned for the next year and a bit, I plan on applying in October 2017 for 2018 entry.
Original post by N.Julia
In regards to the time constraints mentioned, how long ago do they consider it? I've called Admissions for Liverpool but the woman who deals with the more in depth Veterinary enquiries is off until Monday and I am stressing myself out. My work experience runs back to 2013, do you think that is too far back to be considered? I don't mind doing it again, I absolutely loved it and have some different ones planned for the next year and a bit, I plan on applying in October 2017 for 2018 entry.

It depends between vet schools. When I applied I think they counted up to 3 years as "recent" but this may have changed since then!
For RVC I hear it's 18 months.

Liverpool place a lot of emphasis on work experience so get as much variety and no. of weeks as you can! You will find it easier to talk about more recent stuff too at interviews so may be worth repeating some placements in any case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending