The Student Room Group

Question an Irish Republican

Scroll to see replies

Original post by That Bearded Man
Nope, never covered Boycott in history class but at a time of rife absentee landlords he represented everything that the Fenian movement needed to stop. Parnell is the true hero for introducing the boycott.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by DMcGovern
Opinion polls? Ha! That shows how much you know. Opinion polls are a far, far less reliable method in the North. They are rarely trusted here. They are notorious for being unreliable because of the vastly different opinions across the Six Counties and because people always deceive the people doing the poll.

Also the reason why I said Sinn Féin and not all nationalist parties is because moderate nationalists that do not necessarily favour a united Ireland do not vote SF, they'll vote SDLP to protect their interests as Catholics.

Why would he be a hero...?

Biggest hero since Cromwell.
Original post by the bear
i don't suppose the Daesh lads have much craic when they get the evening off.

Ach I wouldn't say they would now, sure they don't even have any good Daesh songs I bet, we've got Come Out Ye Black and Tans, Boys of the Old Brigade, Rifles of the IRA, Follow me up to Carlow, what've they got? "I wish we had a Caliphate"?

#I wish we had a Caliphate, every daaayyyy#
#when the women start screaming and we come out to plaayyy#
Nope, never covered Boycott in history class but at a time of rife absentee landlords he represented everything that the Fenian movement needed to stop. Parnell is the true hero for introducing the boycott.

That would've been my follow-up answer :biggrin:
Yes Parnell is because some of them wanted to lynch Boycott jeesus :s-smilie:
I feel sorry for Parnell because he ended up being sabotaged by the bishops because he had an affair, even though he was a Protestant. I saw his grave in Glasnevin and apparently because of that his few remaining supporters could only afford a boulder for his gravestone and a plot on top of a mass dysentery grave.
:frown:
Original post by ByronicHero

Crowell + Drogheda = Hundreds of men, women and children slaughtered.
That would've been my follow-up answer :biggrin:
Yes Parnell is because some of them wanted to lynch Boycott jeesus :s-smilie:
I feel sorry for Parnell because he ended up being sabotaged by the bishops because he had an affair, even though he was a Protestant. I saw his grave in Glasnevin and apparently because of that his few remaining supporters could only afford a boulder for his gravestone and a plot on top of a mass dysentery grave.
:frown:

I fine politician, seemingly worked well and was well respected by Gladstone too, indeed, shame about the affair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The thing is Irish Republicanism is a very very old concept and has been supported for hundreds of years, and has masses of sympathisers across the globe that aren't psychopaths.
And I can guarantee ye that no RA man would like the idea of suicide bombing.

"Remember the good old days, we'd ring ye up, have a wee chat, tell ye where the bomb was, where it was going off? Ah we were a better class o murdering bastards, we were!"

They murdered officers while they lay in bed with their wives

They killed politicians who meant no violence to them but simply disagreed with their view of the world

They deliberately targeted civilians to establish terror in the pursuit of their aims

I can respect Irish Republicanism but I cannot respect the IRA or anyone who supports them and they are not the same things as any decent Irish republican will doubtless tell you. I should know since I am a quarter Irish myself and have spoken with such people.

Certainly Cromwell, Craig and Murphy stand out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You seem to have a habit of pasting that meme in response to those who disagree with you. It begins to lose its meaning.

What sort of person likes Cromwell

The **** banned Christmas and shut down the theatres

That was easy. For you stole Trevelyan's corn, so the young might see the morn :moon:

Certainly Cromwell, Craig and Murphy stand out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by a noble chance
What sort of person likes Cromwell

The **** banned Christmas and shut down the theatres

I just think he was a dish. Like an English Jafar.

They killed politicians who meant no violence to them but simply disagreed with their view of the world

They deliberately targeted civilians to establish terror in the pursuit of their aims

I can respect Irish Republicanism but I cannot respect the IRA or anyone who supports them and they are not the same things as any decent Irish republican will doubtless tell you. I should know since I am a quarter Irish myself and have spoken with such people.

Do you agree that the IRA acted as defenders for Catholics?

Really? I've never heard of this. Could you give me some examples?

Here I believe you're talking about Airey Neave, a legitimate target, the former British soldier, advocate of capital punishment, Secretary of State for NI and man who planned to have Tony Benn assassinated if a Labour government was elected, James Callaghan resigned and there was a possibility that Benn might be elected party leader in his place.

No they didn't. Such methods would have been counterproductive and lost all of their support. For example, Bloody Friday was targeted at the infrastructure of the "imperialist occupier" but had some civilian casualties which nearly caused a meltdown within the Republican movement. The PIRA sent telephoned warnings at least thirty minutes before each explosion but the 'security forces' failed to take them seriously and 9 people died.
PIRA Chief of Staff, Seán Mac Stíofáin, said the civilian casualties "compromised the intended effect" of the bombings. Brendan Hughes, Officer Commanding of the IRA's Belfast Brigade, viewed the attack as a disaster: "I remember when the bombs started to go off, I was in Leeson Street, and I thought, 'There's too much here'. I feel a bit guilty about it because, as I say, there was no intention to kill anyone that day. I have a fair deal of regret that 'Bloody Friday' took place ... a great deal of regret ... If I could do it over again I wouldn't do it."

You have spoken with such people. Meanwhile I grew up in that warzone and was subjected to the daily news of a bombing, shooting or intimidation - usually by the RUC.

You seem to have a habit of pasting that meme in response to those who disagree with you. It begins to lose its meaning.

I've posted that twice.
That was easy. For you stole Trevelyan's corn, so the young might see the morn :moon:

Now you must raise your child, in dignity.

Are you Irish, by any chance? I remember the Ronnie Drew avatar some months back... :tongue:
Now you must raise your child, in dignity.

Are you Irish, by any chance? I remember the Ronnie Drew avatar some months back... :tongue:

And the Luke Kelly one, on several occasions. I have also, for the sake of completeness, had both Barney McKenna and John Sheahan (though never Ciarán Bourke, now I think about it).

I also had James Stephens for a short while, but that is another thing entirely :lol:

I'm half-Irish on my father's side. From Meath :smile:
And the Luke Kelly one, on several occasions. I have also, for the sake of completeness, had both Barney McKenna and John Sheahan (though never Ciarán Bourke, now I think about it).

I also had James Stephens for a short while, but that is another thing entirely :lol:

I'm half-Irish on my father's side. From Meath :smile:

Ah Luke, the best Dubliner of them all. His brother was my uncle's best man :biggrin:

Ah Meath, yeah, a lot of the Dubliners on my mother's side moved out to Meath :tongue:
Reply 75
Why are you deluded enough to think you're going to ever get NI? It's more likely that Ireland will rejoin the UK tbh.
Ah Luke, the best Dubliner of them all. His brother was my uncle's best man :biggrin:

Ah Meath, yeah, a lot of the Dubliners on my mother's side moved out to Meath :tongue:

I, apparently, have family members who attended Barney's funeral (he's buried in Trim I believe). They were all incredible in their own way - Luke and Ronnie both have absolutely iconic voices, John was a as good a fiddler as you'll find and ever the poet etc.

I seem to think my family are originally from Balrath which is a little way from Navan.
I, apparently, have family members who attended Barney's funeral (he's buried in Trim I believe). They were all incredible in their own way - Luke and Ronnie both have absolutely iconic voices, John was a as good a fiddler as you'll find and ever the poet etc.

I seem to think my family are originally from Balrath which is a little way from Navan.

Yep, they were all brilliant musicians, listen to them probably more often than I should :tongue:

Yep some of the Dub side of the family are living in Kells, on the opposite side of Navan :biggrin:
Yep, they were all brilliant musicians, listen to them probably more often than I should :tongue:

Yep some of the Dub side of the family are living in Kells, on the opposite side of Navan :biggrin:

They are almost certainly my favourite band, and my most listened to over the years. I'll always regret having not been able to see them live.
They are almost certainly my favourite band, and my most listened to over the years. I'll always regret having not been able to see them live.

I saw a few of them not too long ago at the Roundhouse in Barking.

Quick Reply

Latest