The Student Room Group

A-Levels

I'm planning on doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths AS Level. These are the exam boards Biology-AQA Chemistry-Edexcel Physics- Edexcel Maths-Edexcel are any of these subjects hard with the exam board?

Scroll to see replies

yep maths is hard if it is with edexcel
Biology is terrible
tbh edexcel is not really that good for science, OCR or AQA is a popular choice
Original post by ARK_REVISES
yep maths is hard if it is with edexcel

A lot of people do it with edexcel
Original post by alldayniqqa
Biology is terrible

I like biology so I think I'll be fine with that
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
tbh edexcel is not really that good for science, OCR or AQA is a popular choice

Oh ok any particular reason?
Original post by zXcodeXz
I like biology so I think I'll be fine with that

I did too in high school and it is my worst subject in college. There is so much content and the questions are way too hard.
I did too in high school and it is my worst subject in college. There is so much content and the questions are way too hard.

I get what you mean for some subjects
If you like Biology now trust me when I tell you - you will loathe it by the end of your A levels.

AQA biology exam technique is incredibly hard to master.

Most of the answers to the exam questions either:
A) don't make any sense
B) make sense but you just would never think of writing that
Original post by Pineapplefridge
If you like Biology now trust me when I tell you - you will loathe it by the end of your A levels.

AQA biology exam technique is incredibly hard to master.

Most of the answers to the exam questions either:
A) don't make any sense
B) make sense but you just would never think of writing that

Oh ok next year I'll see how I get on with it. If I don't like it I'll drop it. Do you still take it?
I get what you mean for some subjects

Nah this is subject specific to Biology lol. You have to master exam technique for this one. It is not something you can learn content for. It is such a weird exam and there is so much to learn also. Not trying to put you off though.

If you are good at applying your knowledge then I guess you'll cope with it. There is also a huge emphasis in the practical part of biology. I do the new AQA spec btw.
Oh ok next year I'll see how I get on with it. If I don't like it I'll drop it. Do you still take it?

I did my A levels last summer so I took it.

But honestly despite what I've said, getting an A isn't impossible. I got an A, but it was A LOT of hard work.

I recommend the CGP AQA Biology guide. It has all the detail you need. That and past papers / mark schemes.
Nah this is subject specific to Biology lol. You have to master exam technique for this one. It is not something you can learn content for. It is such a weird exam and there is so much to learn also. Not trying to put you off though.

If you are good at applying your knowledge then I guess you'll cope with it. There is also a huge emphasis in the practical part of biology. I do the new AQA spec btw.

Oh ok, are you doing AS or A2?
Original post by Pineapplefridge
I did my A levels last summer so I took it.

But honestly despite what I've said, getting an A isn't impossible. I got an A, but it was A LOT of hard work.

I recommend the CGP AQA Biology guide. It has all the detail you need. That and past papers / mark schemes.

You done really good aswell!
Oh ok, are you doing AS or A2?

Currently in AS. Will be dropping this year tho depending on how I do...
Currently in AS. Will be dropping this year tho depending on how I do...

Oh ok what did you get in GCSE Biology?
Oh ok what did you get in GCSE Biology?

I did triple science and got an A in core, A* in additional and A* in triple.
I did triple science and got an A in core, A* in additional and A* in triple.

Oh ok, is it a really big jump from GCSE to A-Level
Oh ok, is it a really big jump from GCSE to A-Level

Not really but it is just difficult. Hard to explain really. Have a look at past papers and the style of questions. For your other subjects, the jump isn't too bad at all. Not sure about maths at edexcel tho since I do AQA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending