The Student Room Group

What jobs could I do with my A levels?

I'm in yr12 currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. What jobs could I do in the future (providing that I've been to university)?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Pretty much everything. From what I've gathered, those A levels are the most facilitating.

Have you considered Computer Science?
Reply 3
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Pretty much everything. From what I've gathered, those A levels are the most facilitating.

Have you considered Computer Science?

I'm considering doing a maths degree and selecting modules with computer science or physics but I'm not sure if I will like computer science
Electrical Engineering
Reply 5
Original post by swagmister
I'm in yr12 currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. What jobs could I do in the future (providing that I've been to university)?

That depends on the degree you do, and your experience.

I'm considering doing a maths degree and selecting modules with computer science or physics but I'm not sure if I will like computer science

Maths is very flexible, so you would be able to apply to jobs from technology and finance sector, and some other odd ones. You do not need to worry about what jobs you want to have a this moment of your life (most Maths student do not know what to do with their degree, hence, they explore all possible options; from career fairs and even work exp).
Reply 6
Original post by hexagonalRod
Electrical Engineering

I really don't like the electrical part of physics at the moment

Original post by kkboyk
That depends on the degree you do, and your experience.

Maths is very flexible, so you would be able to apply to jobs from technology and finance sector, and some other odd ones. You do not need to worry about what jobs you want to have a this moment of your life (most Maths student do not know what to do with their degree, hence, they explore all possible options; from career fairs and even work exp).

Thanks for the info, so you could go into engineering having taken physics related modules in a maths degree?
Reply 7

Thanks for the info, so you could go into engineering having taken physics related modules in a maths degree?

Depends on what kind of engineering jobs, but the most practical ones will be extremely difficult without any proof of practical experience. Well you could always go on and do an Msc in engineering.
Reply 8
Original post by kkboyk
Depends on what kind of engineering jobs, but the most practical ones will be extremely difficult without any proof of practical experience. Well you could always go on and do an Msc in engineering.

Yep I was thinking of doing a masters in course with applied maths 👍

Electrical Engineering isn't just about A-level circuits, people are so put off by that and think it's what defines it, but it really doesn't.

You learn about waves, how they travel, space travel, maxwells equations, signals and systems, audio processing, a lot of coding (more coding than any other course apart from CS), vector calculus

Artificial intelligence. The course overall is very mathematical as well, compared to other fields of engineering
Original post by hexagonalRod
Electrical Engineering isn't just about A-level circuits, people are so put off by that and think it's what defines it, but it really doesn't.

You learn about waves, how they travel, space travel, maxwells equations, signals and systems, audio processing, a lot of coding (more coding than any other course apart from CS), vector calculus

Artificial intelligence. The course overall is very mathematical as well, compared to other fields of engineering

That does sound interesting I'll look into it more
Reply 11
As long as you have a degree you can get any job you want (within reason). Most universities won't accept Further Maths because it is the same as just Maths and they count it as one A Level, unless you want to study maths then Further Maths is essential.
Original post by zoemyers
As long as you have a degree you can get any job you want (within reason). Most universities won't accept Further Maths because it is the same as just Maths and they count it as one A Level, unless you want to study maths then Further Maths is essential.

Lol biggest amount of bs I've ever heard, ALL universities count further maths as a separate Alevel, and it is also rated toughest Alevel in the U.K.
Original post by zoemyers

This is completely incorrect. There are a few courses(mostly medicine I think) at a few universities that don't accept it.

While the last part of your post is technically incorrect, I do agree with the spirit of it. If you want to do a maths degree then you should definitely study further maths.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest