The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IAmNero
The majority, there was a little bit of arguing and fights, but this is to be expected with a bunch of teens :smile:

So each area has a group of teens, the 'waves' are effectively a separate group for each area. Basically if the whole NCS programme was 12 weeks, you would have 4 waves of about 50 each. It's hard to explain.

I loved it so much! It was amazing. I would say the best was in the second week. We were cooking food and for our mentor (we had one in our apartment) we put tonnes of chilli in his dinner :rofl:. And also the massive doggie pile on the first week, or doing handstands on a canoe. But to be fair I have tonnes of memories, the talent contest was an awesome one.

Basically yes, take lots and lots of spare clothes though, the only thing I would say is, if you go 'camping', take really really warm clothes, and um...don't use the toilet to poop. As weird as this sounds, the last person to go..has to carry the portaloo back.

Thank you you have calmed me down a bit 😋😋 so we have a parents evening thing are there anymore meet ups ??
Area: Haringey (borough), London
Dates: 23 July - 14 Aug
Options for Part 2 (in descending order): Sports , Enterprise.
Original post by leafcannon
With the first NCS programmes coming in about 2 months, and me finding more NCS related posts, I thought I'd make this kind of 'general' thread about the programme where you can talk about various aspects of it, such as the dates, where you're going from (and to when you get the information in advance) and Part 2 skills you've chosen (if the providers let you choose it, that is).

Doing it this year? Post here!
Did it before? Post here! Especially since we need to know the exact amount of random crap we need to pack so we don't bring a suitcase with the weight of 27 elephants.

can you go on ncs next year if youre in year 11 now?
Original post by Wisdom2

thanks
I hated NCS to be honest, it's so overrated.
I've applied for NCS, just gave in the application today in fact. They came to my school yesterday saying there's 150 spaces left so hopefully I'll get in, with my friend. I'm slightly worried about the first week, do they force you to take part in activities? I went to PGL a couple years ago and If I didn't want to take part (fear of heights) I didn't have to.
Also, at the end of the whole thing, do you have to complete an interview? This guy told me he was interviewed by Starbucks and I don't even want a job so do you think they would make us do that?
Original post by Petrifiedcat
I've applied for NCS, just gave in the application today in fact. They came to my school yesterday saying there's 150 spaces left so hopefully I'll get in, with my friend. I'm slightly worried about the first week, do they force you to take part in activities? I went to PGL a couple years ago and If I didn't want to take part (fear of heights) I didn't have to.
Also, at the end of the whole thing, do you have to complete an interview? This guy told me he was interviewed by Starbucks and I don't even want a job so do you think they would make us do that?

I was realllly nervous about doing NCS last year, especially as I didn't go with any of my friends but it turned out to be an amazing experience. I'm actually joining the NCS team this Summer as an Assistant Team Leader which should be quite exciting :smile: NCS eases you into the programme quite effectively with regards to getting to know your team, and partaking in physical activity. You are never forced to do anything that you aren't comfortable with but instructors do encourage you to take part in all activities along with the rest of your team. What you've got to remember is that NCS is all about pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, and working collectively as a team. I was dead scared about doing high-ropes (especially the trapeze) in the trees but after I pushed myself to do it, along with a bit of encouragement from the team, it felt great.

I've never heard of people having an interview at the end, especially at Starbucks! Don't quite get that :P

It's great that you've handed your application in though, you'll have a great time :biggrin:
Original post by 7ommy Rich
I was realllly nervous about doing NCS last year, especially as I didn't go with any of my friends but it turned out to be an amazing experience. I'm actually joining the NCS team this Summer as an Assistant Team Leader which should be quite exciting :smile: NCS eases you into the programme quite effectively with regards to getting to know your team, and partaking in physical activity. You are never forced to do anything that you aren't comfortable with but instructors do encourage you to take part in all activities along with the rest of your team. What you've got to remember is that NCS is all about pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, and working collectively as a team. I was dead scared about doing high-ropes (especially the trapeze) in the trees but after I pushed myself to do it, along with a bit of encouragement from the team, it felt great.

I've never heard of people having an interview at the end, especially at Starbucks! Don't quite get that :P

It's great that you've handed your application in though, you'll have a great time :biggrin:

This was really helpful, thanks :smile: I'm reaallyyyy excited to go now can't wait for summer and the new skills I might learn :biggrin::dance:
Who's doing it on the 27th June Cheshire East.
I'm from Birmingham I have never done before and my first week starts on the 31st July till 4 th August

I don't exactly remember what I choose for second week but I think I choose media or something to we dance aswell
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by leafcannon
Part of the application is choosing the actual skills, like drama, sport, etc. For example, in order, I chose:

1 - Media
2 - Art (it was on the drop down menu, and the fact that I'm currently doing an Art GCSE might help me)
3 - Photography

That's it. You don't choose groups, locations, or anything of the sort. After that it's just filling out the remainder of the application.

Two people in my group didn't get their chosen one (sport) they got media (it wasn't in any of their choices) but I think they still had a very good time!

I did Media, we created a film about elderly people in a residential care home. We started practising with the equipment and taking shots, then visited the place to get a feel for it and talk to some of the residents, then planned what we might put in the film, who we'd record talking to, how we'd split up in little groups to film then put that altogether. After that we edited our footage, put it together with music and prepared for the presentation to families, we showed them what we made and talked about what we did. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Elleee1234
I'm from Birmingham I have never done before and my first week starts on the 31st July till 4 th August

I don't exactly remember what I choose for second week but I think I choose media or something to we dance aswell

See my post above, also from Birmingham (I did the autumn programme though, which is shorter)
Original post by TakingMyTimeOnMy
hahaha at least we will know one person :tongue: I'm just freaked about the bus journey like who will I talk to or is everyone gonna sit in silence awkwardly -__- . btw smart idea for creating this thread. I've been watching vlogs about NCS and I don't know they give a lot of info but not the stuff that I wanna know if that makes sense??

Before the journey to Wales for our activity week, we did lots of icebreakers getting to know each other and talked too. On the coach we had to sit in our groups (not sure if you'll have to) I had someone I already knew in my group so sat next to them but also talked to the people in front of me that were in my group. The other group behind us in the coach were chatting away (it might be that they had their mentor with them) but most people had their music or slept on the coach. I'd recommend just starting a conversation with the person next to you so you don't sit silently next to each other for the whole journey. :tongue:
Area: Leeds
Dates: 31 July - 23 August
Options for Part 2 (in descending order): 1 - Sport 2 - Enterprise 3 - Music

Got the conformation email today - so excited!

(Btw anyone else doing it in Leeds?)
Original post by NiamhM1801
Area: Leeds
Dates: 31 July - 23 August
Options for Part 2 (in descending order): 1 - Sport 2 - Enterprise 3 - Music

Got the conformation email today - so excited!

(Btw anyone else doing it in Leeds?)

Weird - I got the same dates, but I'm not in Leeds :/
Reply 36
Area: Oxfordshire
Dates: 19th July
Options: apparently have been chosen for me ?

Hey guys,
Anyone else got these dates for the same area.
Just got my confirmation email, so pretty thrilled haha.
NCS is an amazing opportunity for students to participate in! It is fantastic in boosting confidence and I am now part of the NCS Youth Board for East Anglia One.

Packing wise - there's not too much! I participated in the autumn scheme, but I'm sure you will all get as muddy as we did, and it is best to bring lots of spare clothes just in case :')
I did it last year Easter holiday in Lincolnshire (Grantham)
I found it very interesting and useful
We ride on skip wire
We go on giant swing
and lots and lots
Reply 39
My dates are something like 24 July to 14 August and I'm from London, Greenwich more exactly.
None of my friends are going so I'm gonna be all by myself *cries inside*. Do you think it's less fun for those who don't go with their friends and have to meet new ones?

Latest

Trending

Trending