The Student Room Group

Bangor, Cardiff, or Swansea?

Hello, sorry for the long post but I need some advice/input about making a decision.

I was wondering if anyone here has done foreign languages in either unis, particularly German? I'm a mature student with experience in the preschool industry. So far I have received a conditional offer from Cardiff University for a BA in German.

I have applied to do Chinese and German with Spanish at Bangor Uni, and German with TESOL at Swansea Uni. Both have requested for my certificates and I'd sent it over but have not received any offers as of yet. Mandarin is my MT, but I have only done it till GCSE O level standards. I only have an A1 Goethe Cert for German, but am currently taking evening classes to keep my grammar skills updated. I have very minimal knowledge of the Spanish language but I have taken classes before.

I'm just wondering about a couple of things... I have previously taken modules in Cardiff Uni under the German department and I know my way around the city. I'm just worried about being able to cope academically as I'm not a book smart person. It also has literature as a main component that I'm not very confident in as my grasp of the language is not very good. However, it is a russell group uni so I believe the degree may have a slight advantage when it comes to market value. *correct me if I am wrong* Also, in the fourth year there is a teaching module that I feel would bring in relevant skill sets and knowledge for what I currently do.

Looking at the degree structure however, Bangor seems very appealing as it is purely language based (sort of my strength) and has 3 out of 6 semesters in countries where the target language is practiced, and a year abroad in Germany. I think would allow for better appreciation of culture and language along with providing context e.g. behavior, speech mannerisms, etc. and it would look good on my CV?

Finally, I chose Swansea because it has a TESOL component which would give me a larger target audience to work with (as I can teach evening classes after my studies).

In short, if you were me and had these choices for consideration, which University would you pick and why? :smile: Much thanks in advance!!
Original post by Azzyrainbow
Hello, sorry for the long post but I need some advice/input about making a decision.

I was wondering if anyone here has done foreign languages in either unis, particularly German? I'm a mature student with experience in the preschool industry. So far I have received a conditional offer from Cardiff University for a BA in German.

I have applied to do Chinese and German with Spanish at Bangor Uni, and German with TESOL at Swansea Uni. Both have requested for my certificates and I'd sent it over but have not received any offers as of yet. Mandarin is my MT, but I have only done it till GCSE O level standards. I only have an A1 Goethe Cert for German, but am currently taking evening classes to keep my grammar skills updated. I have very minimal knowledge of the Spanish language but I have taken classes before.

I'm just wondering about a couple of things... I have previously taken modules in Cardiff Uni under the German department and I know my way around the city. I'm just worried about being able to cope academically as I'm not a book smart person. It also has literature as a main component that I'm not very confident in as my grasp of the language is not very good. However, it is a russell group uni so I believe the degree may have a slight advantage when it comes to market value. *correct me if I am wrong* Also, in the fourth year there is a teaching module that I feel would bring in relevant skill sets and knowledge for what I currently do.

Looking at the degree structure however, Bangor seems very appealing as it is purely language based (sort of my strength) and has 3 out of 6 semesters in countries where the target language is practiced, and a year abroad in Germany. I think would allow for better appreciation of culture and language along with providing context e.g. behavior, speech mannerisms, etc. and it would look good on my CV?

Finally, I chose Swansea because it has a TESOL component which would give me a larger target audience to work with (as I can teach evening classes after my studies).

In short, if you were me and had these choices for consideration, which University would you pick and why? :smile: Much thanks in advance!!

Hi Azzyrainbow,

Thank you for applying to study German with TESOL at Swansea University. Have you visited us at one of our Open Days? Please let me know what you would like to know and I will try my best to help.
Reply 2
Original post by Swansea University
Hi Azzyrainbow,

Thank you for applying to study German with TESOL at Swansea University. Have you visited us at one of our Open Days? Please let me know what you would like to know and I will try my best to help.

Hi there,

thanks for the reply :smile: I've not been able to attend Open Days as I reside in Singapore. I have not actually received an offer from Swansea as of yet though, was trying to look for students who have/will be attending similar courses in the abovementioned Universities... :redface:
Original post by Azzyrainbow
Hi there,

thanks for the reply :smile: I've not been able to attend Open Days as I reside in Singapore. I have not actually received an offer from Swansea as of yet though, was trying to look for students who have/will be attending similar courses in the abovementioned Universities... :redface:

Hi Azzyrainbow,

You may wish to have a look at our Virtual Tour online - http://www.swansea.ac.uk/virtual-tour-stand-alone/
Here you can have a look around both of our campuses to give you a feel for Swansea University. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions and I will try my best to help!

Quick Reply