The Student Room Group

M2 Question on equilibrium and centre of mass

How do I do the second part of this question. The only question I couldn't do on the paper, but didn't even know where to start. The mark scheme was completely useless in explaining how to get to the solution. Anyway...
image.jpg
Original post by Mathematicus65
How do I do the second part of this question. The only question I couldn't do on the paper, but didn't even know where to start. The mark scheme was completely useless in explaining how to get to the solution. Anyway...
image.jpg

This question seems to catch a few people, and crops up on here regularly.

The toy will by lying in equilibrium if the line of action of the centre of gravity lies between the two points touching the ground.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker

The toy will by lying in equilibrium if the line of action of the centre of gravity lies between the two points touching the ground.

The horizontal or vertical line of action?
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
The horizontal or vertical line of action?

There is only one line of action - vertical; the direction of the force.
Reply 4
There is only one line of action - vertical; the direction of the force.

Oops, dense moment there - I see you meant the line of action through which the weight acts. :colondollar:
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Oops, dense moment there.

We all get them - no sweat.
This question seems to catch a few people, and crops up on here regularly.

I wonder if this would be considered easier if the question was to ask for the condition when it is not in equilibrium? I would have thought that condition is blindingly obvious.
Original post by atsruser
I wonder if this would be considered easier if the question was to ask for the condition when it is not in equilibrium? I would have thought that condition is blindingly obvious.

I suspect it's a combination of the curved surface and the axis of symmetry not being vertical or horizontal that's effecting how people perceive the object, but just a guess.

Quick Reply

Latest