The Student Room Group

Starting a new job tommorow and its technically my 1st job, any words of wisdom?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by claireestelle
Thank you, i ll do my best to stay calm:smile: It's a sale assistant job so hopefully they wont throw too much work at me.

Thank you:smile: I ll try a smoothie although i cant stand protein powder so i ll try and get plenty of fruit in. I'll make sure to ask plenty of questions :smile:

I'd recommend a banana and blueberry smoothie, it tasted so good, it made me wish the glass I was drinking it from was bottomless. :coma:
Reply 21
It's a part time thing:smile: It took me a good six weeks to find a job so i guess i m worried it wont go well and i'll end up in the same position again.

That's quick! Congratulations :smile:

Kvothe's idea of a smoothie for breakfast is a good plan. Something energising but easy to digest :smile:

Honestly everyone has been in the same position. It's always a bit weird starting out but I'm sure your immediate supervisor and your colleagues will make it as easy as possible. After all it's in their interests to do so - its hard to recruit good people and they will want to help ease you into the role. It helps them if they help you :smile:

Oh, and do an early tea round for them (and write down what everyone likes!)
Original post by jneill

Kvothe's idea of a smoothie for breakfast is a good plan. Something energising but easy to digest :smile:

Honestly everyone has been in the same position. It's always a bit weird starting out but I'm sure your immediate supervisor and your colleagues will make it as easy as possible. After all it's in their interests to do so - its hard to recruit good people and they will want to help ease you into the role. It helps them if they help you :smile:

Or if there are any nearby shops, offer to run errands, i.e. buying milk and biscuits for the tea breaks. :yes:

It's what I did in my first job at a council office. :h:
Original post by jneill

Thank you:smile: I guess as its only part time just above minimum wage work i thought 6 weeks was a while. I will definitely do a tea round, I always think having a brew makes people feel happier and more motivated :smile:
Reply 24
It's a part time sales associate job :smile:

Take a pen. If you're on the tills you will need one at some point! Also take some paper or notebook, as you might need to note down things like door codes or your employee number (or whether people drink tea or coffee)
Original post by Juno
Take a pen. If you're on the tills you will need one at some point! Also take some paper or notebook, as you might need to note down things like door codes or your employee number (or whether people drink tea or coffee)

I hadn't thought about pens thank you, i ve got a little notebook somewhere that should just about fit in my blazer pocket:smile:
Thank you:smile: I'm hoping there won't be any customer complaints on the first day.

Most customers are fine and cause no trouble, so hopefully you wont get any. But theres sometimes the odd one who tries it on.
Reply 27
Under-promise and over-deliver
Reply 28
Original post by Reue
Under-promise and over-deliver

Yup, that's a good one : )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
I hadn't thought about pens thank you, i ve got a little notebook somewhere that should just about fit in my blazer pocket:smile:

If you are a bit nervous anyway, it might help to look up the security features on bank notes (holograms etc) so that if you are on tills you won't worry about taking a fake one. They shouldn't leave you on your own so you can always ask, but it might be reassuring.

Also remember that bank cards now use chips, so you shouldn't need to swipe unless there is a problem or it's a foreign card. Some disabled people will have chip and signature cards, so will need to sign instead of entering a pin, but they still go in the chip reader as normal.

You might not be on tills straight away (or at all) but it's nice to be prepared
Original post by Juno
If you are a bit nervous anyway, it might help to look up the security features on bank notes (holograms etc) so that if you are on tills you won't worry about taking a fake one. They shouldn't leave you on your own so you can always ask, but it might be reassuring.

Also remember that bank cards now use chips, so you shouldn't need to swipe unless there is a problem or it's a foreign card. Some disabled people will have chip and signature cards, so will need to sign instead of entering a pin, but they still go in the chip reader as normal.

You might not be on tills straight away (or at all) but it's nice to be prepared

I believe i m being buddied up with a colleague for the first week or so, but i will definetly look into banknotes as i only really know about the security features on a £20 note :smile:
Haven't read all the replies properly but in case no one else has said it: don't be afraid to ask questions. No one can expect you to know how everything works straight away. It's perfectly OK to ask loads of questions in the first week or two, no matter how small or silly they may seem! :yep:

GOOD LUCK and WELL DONE :biggrin: :rave: :woo:
Reply 32
I believe i m being buddied up with a colleague for the first week or so, but i will definetly look into banknotes as i only really know about the security features on a £20 note :smile:

You sound like you'll be fine. I used to work in retail management, and if someone turned up early, with a pen, their hair tied back and being willing to learn, I'd be thrilled.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Haven't read all the replies properly but in case no one else has said it: don't be afraid to ask questions. No one can expect you to know how everything works straight away. It's perfectly OK to ask loads of questions in the first week or two, no matter how small or silly they may seem! :yep:

GOOD LUCK and WELL DONE :biggrin: :rave: :woo:

Thank you :smile:

Original post by Juno
You sound like you'll be fine. I used to work in retail management, and if someone turned up early, with a pen, their hair tied back and being willing to learn, I'd be thrilled.

Thank you, i think I just need to get over the initial nerves and i ll be okay :smile:
What do sales assistants do anyway? In what way can you "help sell things" without actually being a full on sales person?

OP what did you do on your first few days? What does the role involve in general?
Reply 35
Feeling incredibly nervous, i ve done a couple of voluntary things before and some work experience placements but never a paid job and I think its making me even more nervous :/

Getting a early night is also a good idea.
Original post by jneill
Getting a early night is also a good idea.

Unfortunately i think that's gone out of the window :/
Reply 37
Unfortunately i think that's gone out of the window :/

See that "off" switch...
Original post by jneill
See that "off" switch...

I ll have you know i haven't ever dared turned off my iphone :tongue:
gdluck lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending