The Student Room Group

What to do in 4 month Summer?!!!?!

Hi there,
I am a first year student at UCL and my exams will be over by the end of May. Which means I will be free from June to September.
However, I have NOTHING to do all summer and dont want to end up staying at home the whole time.
Any suggestions on what to do for uni students over summer, other than get a job. And if you recommend any volunteering etc can you guys give examples as I'm stuggling to find some!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cuty123
Hi there,
I am a first year student at UCL and my exams will be over by the end of May. Which means I will be free from June to September.
However, I have NOTHING to do all summer and dont want to end up staying at home the whole time.
Any suggestions on what to do for uni students over summer, other than get a job. And if you recommend any volunteering etc can you guys give examples as I'm stuggling to find some!!

what do you want do in the future? maybe look into working holidays for volunteering or you could work in a summer camp
Original post by cuty123
Hi there,

I'm a UCL student too. The VSU will have volunteering stuff over the summer.

Also even though you don't want a job, UCL hosts confrences etc. over the summer and uses the accommodation as lodgings. You can get a job work in halls over the summer doing a variety of things. Plus I believe you get to stay in halls too for free so you could do that, earn some cash, and get to stay in London for a while. Depending on your timetable you could volunteer or get work experience in London too, all whilst having a free place to sleep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
definitely volunteer, what you volunteer in depends on your course subject. I would spend as much time this summer getting enough work experience for the career you want to go into rather than general work experience in a charity shop or the type of volunteer work that wont help your career (e.g. working with elephants abroad).

I started an internship in the summer of my first year of uni and it lead to me getting a job within the same company over term time and then offer of a better job and more work experience within a different sector of that same company. now I can confidently do two types of jobs that are very different but both based within my degree subject and I have a fall back if I need it.

I know its a boring option to go for work experience but it really does pay off, youll be up against other graduates who get internships in the 2nd year of uni so if you can show you've done 2 internships or started work experience before anyone else then youre most likely to get that job over your peers.
Reply 4
Original post by PinkAcid
definitely volunteer, what you volunteer in depends on your course subject. I would spend as much time this summer getting enough work experience for the career you want to go into rather than general work experience in a charity shop or the type of volunteer work that wont help your career (e.g. working with elephants abroad).

I started an internship in the summer of my first year of uni and it lead to me getting a job within the same company over term time and then offer of a better job and more work experience within a different sector of that same company. now I can confidently do two types of jobs that are very different but both based within my degree subject and I have a fall back if I need it.

I know its a boring option to go for work experience but it really does pay off, youll be up against other graduates who get internships in the 2nd year of uni so if you can show you've done 2 internships or started work experience before anyone else then youre most likely to get that job over your peers.

I have tried so much to get work experience.. i mean sooo much but have got no responses? could u help me out?? (PM) please
Reply 5
Original post by Moonstruck16
I'm a UCL student too. The VSU will have volunteering stuff over the summer.

Also even though you don't want a job, UCL hosts confrences etc. over the summer and uses the accommodation as lodgings. You can get a job work in halls over the summer doing a variety of things. Plus I believe you get to stay in halls too for free so you could do that, earn some cash, and get to stay in London for a while. Depending on your timetable you could volunteer or get work experience in London too, all whilst having a free place to sleep.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks..
I live at home :frown: anyway
but wht and where can i find info on these conferences
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
what do you want do in the future? maybe look into working holidays for volunteering or you could work in a summer camp

struggling to find a part time job or cheap volunteering abroad!
Original post by cuty123
struggling to find a part time job or cheap volunteering abroad!

Some charities offer working holidays in the uk :smile:
YHA has some volunteering opportunities (both residential and non-residential) in their hostels. It's something I've been considering myself :smile:
Original post by cuty123
thanks..
I live at home :frown: anyway
but wht and where can i find info on these conferences

I remember that last year they emailed us. You probably have to do some research/ask around if they don't.

If you're going to be at home try looking at local university websites/job shops :smile:
Why don't you try a summer course at your local college/ uni as they are always fun. Plus you will be able to meet new people and perhaps pick up a new skill :smile:
This is exactly my situation aswell! I had this last year, was off from May-Sep doing NOTHING! I dont have any great friends, so met up with no one. Trying to find a job atm before I finish mid May
Cornwall monkey sanctuary let you volunteer with them from 2 weeks up to 6 months, accommodation provided there aswell for £40 a week
Original post by evalilyXOX
Why don't you try a summer course at your local college/ uni as they are always fun. Plus you will be able to meet new people and perhaps pick up a new skill :smile:

Lol **** that

Posted from TSR Mobile
get fit get a job
Original post by KazuoTakeda

Haha I guess that might be something that only I like to do lol :tongue:
You could always watch all 10 seasons of the X files
Football manager, :colonhash:
Original post by evalilyXOX
Haha I guess that might be something that only I like to do lol :tongue:

It's a nice idea, just involves spending money normally. Aka what's left of your loan :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
volunteer at festivals :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest