The Student Room Group

Johnny Depp forced to apologise to the Australian people

Johnny Depp has been forced to record a grovelling apology to the people of Australia

Australia has quite strict immigration and biosecurity laws (as anyone who watches that marvelous reality-TV guilty pleasure Border Security: Australia's Front Line will know).

Australia has very unique plants and animals which can be badly harmed by bringing in invasive foreign species. It also has a strong agricultural industry that they want to protect from imported diseases.

Johnny Depp flew into Australia on a private jet and brought his dog, and he didn't declare it. This was discovered, and he was prosecuted for it. Rightly so in my opinion. Leftists hate the fact Australia has a border worthy of the name, but I think it's magnificent

Anyway, I think it was agreed that the charges would be dropped if he made a video apologising and explaining his mistake (that seems pretty smart for the Aussie authorities; it will get plenty of international attention and foreigners will know not to try to bring in forbidden objects and they don't have to be unduly harsh). Details in the link

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/apr/18/johnny-depp-and-amber-heard-apologise-for-illegally-bringing-dogs-to-australia
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Here's an episode of Border Security: Australia's Frontline. It's really quite entertaining, they show drug busts at the airport and also immigration department raids on illegal immigrant workplaces. But they also show all the bizarre incidents where people try to bring biohazards into the country.

Invariably this is Asians and Indians trying to bring food (fruit and meat, etc) into the country with them when they are visiting as tourists. I mean, why would you do that? Why would you pack a pound of unsealed bloody meat in your suitcase? Or some mouldy oranges? Are they under the impression they can't buy food in Australia?

Edit: I'd add, in this episode they do some to be unduly harsh in some cases; the poor old Lebanese guy with the nuts, I can understand why he was cheesed off. Of course you're going to see jobsworths in this sort of work in any country. But overall I don't think that undermines the justification for strong border security

[video="youtube;p3nGgaK6-08"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3nGgaK6-08[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
Johnny Depp has been forced to record a grovelling apology to the people of Australia

Australia has quite strict immigration and biosecurity laws (as anyone who watches that marvelous reality-TV guilty pleasure Border Security: Australia's Front Line will know).

Australia has very unique plants and animals which can be badly harmed by bringing in invasive foreign species. It also has a strong agricultural industry that they want to protect from imported diseases.

Johnny Depp flew into Australia on a private jet and brought his dog, and he didn't declare it. This was discovered, and he was prosecuted for it. Rightly so in my opinion. Leftists hate the fact Australia has a border worthy of the name, but I think it's magnificent

Anyway, I think it was agreed that the charges would be dropped if he made a video apologising and explaining his mistake (that seems pretty smart for the Aussie authorities; it will get plenty of international attention and foreigners will know not to try to bring in forbidden objects and they don't have to be unduly harsh). Details in the link

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/apr/18/johnny-depp-and-amber-heard-apologise-for-illegally-bringing-dogs-to-australia

He wasnt being charged it was his wife, the responsibility was hers, so to say he was forced is rather misleading.
The guy looked drunk while apologising tbh.

I was there back in January and would not say their immigration policy is strict at all. They place was awash with migrants. We went on an annual skiing holiday in a 4 star hotel in a small Tyrollean village and soon as you stepped outside they were begging for money etc. It felt quite unsafe.

A few friends lost ski equipment and an expensive gopro 3 camera stolen from the hotel. The camera was a Christmas present :frown: Tbh we just got fed up. We had evening meal in the Stübel restaurant and they were staring through the window at us eating, it was awful, Bert got fed up and stormed out mid meal knocking Tim's plate on the floor.

You couldn't go anywhere without migrants asking for change, pushing and shoving. We'd never experienced anything like that in our magic winter wonderland until this year. We payed a lot of money to stay here and the migrants seemed to be having a better time than us skiing around on stolen equipment and using stolen ski lift cards.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
What happened to the dog?
Original post by Ambitious1999
I was there back in January and would not say their immigration policy is strict at all. They place was awash with migrants. We went on an annual skiing holiday in a 4 star hotel in a small Tyrollean village and soon as you stepped outside they were begging for money etc. It felt quite unsafe.

A few friends lost ski equipment and an expensive gopro 3 camera stolen from the hotel. The camera was a Christmas present :frown: Tbh we just got fed up. We had evening meal in the Stübel restaurant and they were staring through the window at us eating, it was awful, Bert got fed up and stormed out mid meal knocking Tim's plate on the floor.

You couldn't go anywhere without migrants asking for change, pushing and shoving. We'd never experienced anything like that in our magic winter wonderland until this year. We payed a lot of money to stay here and the migrants seemed to be having a better time than us skiing around on stolen equipment and using stolen ski lift cards.

Damn, that sucks. Had a similar experience in the cinema in Manchester when I went to see BvS on the opening day. Loads of people brazenly sitting in other people's VIP seats and taking photos and videos in the cinema. The staff didn't do anything about it, which is crazy considering it was opening day, and it nearly ruined the movie.
Original post by Ambitious1999
We went on an annual skiing holiday in a 4 star hotel in a small Tyrollean village

Tyrolean village? We're talking about Australia, not Austria
Original post by Don John
Damn, that sucks.
I don't think he can possibly be right; he mentioned a "Tyrolean village". Tyrol is in Austria, not Australia
Original post by 999tigger
He wasnt being charged it was his wife, the responsibility was hers, so to say he was forced is rather misleading.

Ah, I didn't realise she was being charged, not he. However I'm pretty sure that his being in the video was part of the deal; he looked extremely displeased to be in it.

The Director of Public Prosecutions could have informally agreed that they would drop the charges if he was in the video too.
[video="youtube;Y4Xh2KBI4I0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Xh2KBI4I0[/video]
Original post by M14B
What happened to the dog?

As I recall the dogs quickly, in the words of the legendary Barnaby Joyce, "buggered off back to the United States" so as to avoid being euthanised.

The apology was hilarious, looked like a hostage video.

Good for Australia, uncompromisingly enforcing their laws.
I agree with this tbh, Australia isn't a stranger to foreign wildlife screwing up the native ecosystem.
Guardian film critic gives them one out of five stars... http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/apr/18/johnny-depp-dogs-apology-review

IMO they come off as a couple of smug millionaires who think laws should only apply to poor people.
Original post by Joinedup
Guardian film critic gives them one out of five stars... http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/apr/18/johnny-depp-dogs-apology-review

IMO they come off as a couple of smug millionaires who think laws should only apply to poor people.

The Aussie government minister didnt help the situation and that got their backs up. Its also been an enormous waste of money over a handbags at ten paces incident.
Original post by tengentoppa
As I recall the dogs quickly, in the words of the legendary Barnaby Joyce, "buggered off back to the United States" so as to avoid being euthanised.

The apology was hilarious, looked like a hostage video.

Good for Australia, uncompromisingly enforcing their laws.

Haha how do you know about Barnaby Joyce? Or are you an Antipodean?

Lol at this video, Joyce threatens to kill the dogs. Oh and the fact there's a canine disease called "Leashmania"! :lol:

[video="youtube;ssIoi7r_u-Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssIoi7r_u-Q[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
The Aussie government minister didnt help the situation and that got their backs up. Its also been an enormous waste of money over a handbags at ten paces incident.

The minister Barnaby Joyce is an idiot, but why should Australia care if they get Johnny Depp's back up? Heard (and probably Depp) broke the law

What I find funniest about this is that they flew in with the dogs without any problems (I suppose they probably didn't have to go through customs in the normal way), it was only when they took the dogs for a dog haircut that someone reported them to the authorities?

Does the Australian Customs Department have informers throughout the dog grooming trade? :lol:
Haha how do you know about Barnaby Joyce? Or are you an Antipodean?

Lol at this video, Joyce threatens to kill the dogs. Oh and the fact there's a canine disease called "Leashmania"! :lol:

[video="youtube;ssIoi7r_u-Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssIoi7r_u-Q[/video]

Australian uncle emails me the funniest stuff from down under. Barnaby Joyce is a favourite

Did you see his response to the video? "Going off like a frog in a sock"
I see why they did it but I think it is pretty unfair, oh look you did something that is against the law and people every day get turned back or charged for, oh but you are a celebrity oh that is ok just make us a video
The minister Barnaby Joyce is an idiot, but why should Australia care if they get Johnny Depp's back up? Heard (and probably Depp) broke the law

What I find funniest about this is that they flew in with the dogs without any problems (I suppose they probably didn't have to go through customs in the normal way), it was only when they took the dogs for a dog haircut that someone reported them to the authorities?

Does the Australian Customs Department have informers throughout the dog grooming trade? :lol:

Obviously the law is the law but he cost his own taxpayers more money rather than just ealing with it discreetly, so yes they should care about managing situations competently. Anyway carry on frothing. Dude Im well aware of the events.

Its because the dog parlour decide to use social media to declare they had the dogs. Go and read the story.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending