The Student Room Group

The Gay Gene

Does the gay gene exist? If not is homosexuality purely based on environmental factors? Just wondering as I am not actually sure myself.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
studies have shown that certain parts of the brain take a more feminine shape in homosexual men and a more masculine shape in homosexual women, which could suggest that it's genetic
Accoridng to scientific consensus there isnt a 'gay gene' per se (saying there is a 'gay gene' is a very simplified thing) but genetic factors do contribute to homosexuality as well as hormonal factors. there arent any legitimate studies which suggest that 'envrionmental' factors influence sexuality, other than envrionmental factors in the womb.

Here are some of the most recent findings on the 'gay gene'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/11922975/The-latest-gay-gene-study-gives-no-comfort-to-homophobes.html

http://www.out.com/news-opinion/2016/4/15/almost-50-straight-people-carry-gay-gene

There is plenty of research available on this though if you look online
That there exists a gay gene that dictates your sexuality seems highly unlikely. But it still gets trotted out, largely by people with a school level knowledge of genetics.

That there exists a much more complex interplay of multiple genes, epigenetics and environmental factors seem more likely. We are only just entering the era of genomics, where we can relatively cheaply study the genome in its entirety. There has been some research into sexuality, but I think the findings have been inconsistent. I suspect a more comprehensive answer will be known in 10 years.
Original post by Anonymous
That there exists a gay gene that dictates your sexuality seems highly unlikely. But it still gets trotted out, largely by people with a school level knowledge of genetics.

That there exists a much more complex interplay of multiple genes, epigenetics and environmental factors seem more likely. We are only just entering the era of genomics, where we can relatively cheaply study the genome in its entirety. There has been some research into sexuality, but I think the findings have been inconsistent. I suspect a more comprehensive answer will be known in 10 years.

That was me. Didn't intend it to be anonymous.
Original post by mondvay
studies have shown that certain parts of the brain take a more feminine shape in homosexual men and a more masculine shape in homosexual women, which could suggest that it's genetic

I have also seen a documentary on gay animals and a sheep was examined by doctors because he would only mount males and it turned out he had a feminine brain :redface:
Original post by hurtfulharold
does the gay gene exist? If not is homosexuality purely based on environmental factors? Just wondering as i am not actually sure myself.

no more homosexual threads, also time to get educated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSQSx3OCrXQ
Original post by ckfeister

I'm just asking, I'm not spouting hate or anything of the sort.
Original post by HurtfulHarold
I'm just asking, I'm not spouting hate or anything of the sort.

/////

I love that video :h:
Original post by lolakirk
I have also seen a documentary on gay animals and a sheep was examined by doctors because he would only mount males and it turned out he had a feminine brain :redface:

How does a brain become masculine when it should be feminine? Is it because there is a hormone imbalance when the foetus develops or something?
I love that video :h:

send it to all homophobic idiots to shut them up what I do :wink:
seriously wtf is wrong with all of you
Does the gay gene exist? If not is homosexuality purely based on environmental factors? Just wondering as I am not actually sure myself.

lol
Original post by mondvay

but not that it is a gene, however.
send it to all homophobic idiots to shut them up what I do :wink:

If that was passive aggressively aimed at me, I didn't claim that I was homophobic. If not, you shouldn't call somebody an 'idiot' just because they have a view which differs from your own. We have to tolerate each others views and opinions.
Original post by banterboy
but not that it is a gene, however.

Would you say a homosexual had a hormonal imbalance that caused a masculine or feminine brain in the womb?
If that was passive aggressively aimed at me, I didn't claim that I was homophobic. If not, you shouldn't call somebody an 'idiot' just because they have a view which differs from your own. We have to tolerate each others views and opinions.

No, we do not. I do not tolerate racists, homophobes, neo-Nazis, fascists,the BNP, etc. 'Lets tolerate each other' is a broken record.

Not directed to you.
No, we do not. I do not tolerate racists, homophobes, neo-Nazis, fascists,the BNP, etc. 'Lets tolerate each other' is a broken record.

At the very least you shouldn't call anybody out due to their different beliefs. I'm not saying that we should disregard beliefs like this. Anyways, what do you think about the 'Gay Gene' conspiracy? Do you think it makes sense? Or is it all a bunch of hogwash?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending