The Student Room Group

Can't choose between University of Edinburgh and Imperial Collage London

With the deadline drawing near for accepting our Ucas offers I'm sure I'm not the only one losing sleep over which one to put as my firm choice.

I'm having a hard time choosing between Edinburgh and ICL.

I am more realistic to get into Edinburgh, but ICL isn't too big of a stretch.
However for me Edinburgh is free, while ICL will cost 39000€ ish euros in tuition.
I'm wondering is there anything that can justify that high price tag over choosing Edinburgh.

Other differences is that in imperial the course is Biochemistry while in Edinburgh I would be studying molecular biology. Further more ICL is only a 3 year cource while Edinburgh lasts for 4 years, however I most likely could apply to skip the first year.

My last offer that I'm considering is Molecular biology at the University of Glasgow, though I'm pretty sure I'll choose Edinburgh over that. If I do accept Edinburgh as my first choice it'll be my second back up choice.
I would probably go for Edinburgh mainly because it's free. :tongue: You can always do a masters at a top 5 university if rankings mean a lot to you (one of those two universities is ranked higher but in reality it doesn't make a difference - employers are more interested in you as an individual and how you benefit them). Ultimately, you have to weigh your options. Both universities are fantastic. London is a brilliant city but it is also very expensive. Does this bother you? Have you looked into the modules both universities offer? Have you looked at the two cities (after all, you will be living there for 3 or 4 years)? Have you visited both of them? Do you see yourself living in either one of the cities? Which university has the best facilities for your subject? Which one has more student support?
Reply 2
Original post by Legendary Quest
I would probably go for Edinburgh mainly because it's free. :tongue: You can always do a masters at a top 5 university if rankings mean a lot to you (one of those two universities is ranked higher but in reality it doesn't make a difference - employers are more interested in you as an individual and how you benefit them). Ultimately, you have to weigh your options. Both universities are fantastic. London is a brilliant city but it is also very expensive. Does this bother you? Have you looked into the modules both universities offer? Have you looked at the two cities (after all, you will be living there for 3 or 4 years)? Have you visited both of them? Do you see yourself living in either one of the cities? Which university has the best facilities for your subject? Which one has more student support?

Thanks for the quick reply!Yeah the university being free is a big deal since I don't really see the benefit of getting a huge debt early on when I can get a good education for free...
Imperial is not worth an extra 39000 EUR unless you want to be a banker.

AFAIK you can start a Scottish course in year 2 if you have qualifications equivalent to English A levels, but I am not certain of that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Cthrek
Thanks for the quick reply!Yeah the university being free is a big deal since I don't really see the benefit of getting a huge debt early on when I can get a good education for free...

Yes, and London isn't exactly the cheapest city out there :tongue:
Original post by Cthrek
x.

College* --> Imperial College London @Thread Title
Reply 6
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
College* --> Imperial College London @Thread Title

Maybe it's the art school?

:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yeah maybe I shouldn't go to a uni, which I cant spell xD