The Student Room Group

Is it risky to apply to only universities within the 'top 5'?

I'm only a GCSE student but I was just curious about this. If I was to, hypothetically speaking, get all or majority A* at GCSE and then go on to get A*AA/A*A*A at sixth form, would it still be a bad idea to apply to only the top universities? Would this put me at a risk of not getting a place at all? The places I'd probably apply for would be:
Oxford
Durham
LSE
Imperial
St Andrews
As you can only apply to 5 places, would applying to these places, considering how popular and hard to get into they are, be a risky choice to make?

Scroll to see replies

Yes.

Apply to a spread of universities: some highly competitive/high entry requirments, some achievable entry requirements, and a couple slightly below.
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
Yes.

Apply to a spread of universities: some highly competitive/high entry requirments, some achievable entry requirements, and a couple slightly below.

Thanks! If you're someone who achieves highly though, isn't it putting your chances of getting into a good university down if you apply to places below your achievable requirements?
Reply 3
I'd honestly say it's not a horrible idea if you are confident enough. Though maybe you should put 4 top unis and 1 perhaps easier to get in uni just to be safe. But if you have good scores and a solid personal statement id feel pretty confident about applying.
Original post by e2014
Thanks! If you're someone who achieves highly though, isn't it putting your chances of getting into a good university down if you apply to places below your achievable requirements?

No? You want to have a good spread, some at/above your level and some below
I wish I'd applied to more than one top 5 because I certainly deserved to get into more than one imo, but you certainly need to apply to at least 2 from the 5-15 mark with lower grades so you have a viable insurance or you can be confident you'll get an offer from at least one university, not that it should be a problem unless you want to do medicine or something else highly competitive.
Original post by e2014

No, because you'd be in a pool with those that have achieved even more highly - i.e. a supremely competitive pool. It would be very likely that you'd get rejected if you only applied to the top 5 universities (based solely on ranking? That's a very poor way of choosing a uni btw).

Instead, look at a range of universities, anything generally in the top 20-30 for a 'highly achieving' is a good shout. Narrow things down based on location, course, study abroad opportunities, societies available and if you want to go into an 'elite' career, possibly how 'targeted' the uni is by employers. Choosing your universities should be a personal and thorough process not just a means of looking at a league table and applying to the first 5...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
My advice would be: two optimistic, two your level, one insurance.
Have a safety school. It's elementary.
Reply 9
No, because you'd be in a pool with those that have achieved even more highly - i.e. a supremely competitive pool. It would be very likely that you'd get rejected if you only applied to the top 5 universities (based solely on ranking? That's a very poor way of choosing a uni btw).

Instead, look at a range of universities, anything generally in the top 20-30 for a 'highly achieving' is a good shout. Narrow things down based on location, course, study abroad opportunities, societies available and if you want to go into an 'elite' career, possibly how 'targeted' the uni is by employers. Choosing your universities should be a personal and thorough process not just a means of looking at a league table and applying to the first 5...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, if OPs level really is A*A*A then I think going for 4 or 5 "top" unis is a perfectly good idea. Although maybe keep 1 slot for safety.

For STEM subjects I'm pretty sure any "Oxbridge" candidate will be applying to Imperial plus 2 or 3 other leading unis for their course. (Except Medicine but that's a different game.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Yes it's risky and I wouldn't do it
Original post by e2014
I'm only a GCSE student but I was just curious about this. If I was to, hypothetically speaking, get all or majority A* at GCSE and then go on to get A*AA/A*A*A at sixth form, would it still be a bad idea to apply to only the top universities? Would this put me at a risk of not getting a place at all? The places I'd probably apply for would be:
Oxford
Durham
LSE
Imperial
St Andrews
As you can only apply to 5 places, would applying to these places, considering how popular and hard to get into they are, be a risky choice to make?

It's not really all that risky if you're confident in your application, I did the exact same thing and got five offers. But, things happen, so I'd put one dead cert on there (with much lower entry requirements than the others), just so you'll still have a university place if there's a disaster.

Just a note, you won't have A-level results before you apply to university (unless you're applying after year 13, in a gap year or something like that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Actually, if OPs level really is A*A*A then I think going for 4 or 5 "top" unis is a perfectly good idea. Although maybe keep 1 slot for safety.

For STEM subjects I'm pretty sure any "Oxbridge" candidate will be applying to Imperial plus 2 or 3 other leading unis for their course. (Except Medicine but that's a different game.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

OP hasn't stated the subject (by the looks of it, it might be Econ). In some subjects, it's absolutely unwise to only apply for the top 5 (i.e. Econ, Law etc), as there are simply far too many qualified applicants So I've gone safe with my advice to OP.

Even then, choosing the top 5 on a league table is poor decision making.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, its likely that all of your offers from the top 5 would be the same, or within 1 grade. So you'd be looking at firm choice A*AA and insurance AAA best case scenario. It means that you don't have any leeway, either you get into your chosen uni or you probably have to go through clearing.

You're better off also choosing a couple of lower unis, maybe around ABB - AAB, so that you can probably go to your insurance if you miss out on the top grades.
Original post by e2014
Oxford
Durham
LSE
Imperial
St Andrews

All I would say is be careful, have a back up, I was predicted A*A*A at A level, exams went well, results day I got BBD- basically I was royaly screwed over by the exam boards! Hence I didn't get into my top choice (Exeter) If your predicted high grades, apply for one uni that has slightly lower grade requirements, I.e. ABB , it will still be a good uni:smile:
OP hasn't stated the subject (by the looks of it, it might be Econ). In some subjects, it's absolutely unwise to only apply for the top 5 (i.e. Econ, Law etc), as there are simply far too many qualified applicants So I've gone safe with my advice to OP.Even then, choosing the top 5 on a league table is poor decision making.

Economics isn't that competitive. Law and Medicine are the only ridiculous ones.

If the table is the only thing you look at, sure. If you do a bunch of research on a bunch of unis and the ones you decide to apply for happen to be the top 4/5 on the league tables - assuming you're a good enough student - then there's no reason you should hold back.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
OP hasn't stated the subject (by the looks of it, it might be Econ). In some subjects, it's absolutely unwise to only apply for the top 5 (i.e. Econ, Law etc), as there are simply far too many qualified applicants So I've gone safe with my advice to OP.

Even then, choosing the top 5 on a league table is poor decision making.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes agree about not just using a league table :smile: But applying to 4 with similar entry requirements (A*AA or AAA for Law) should be fine. Again, yes, Economics may be a different game and A-Level subject choices will be as important (I.e. Further Maths if possible).

It's all hypothetical anyway.

OP should focus on smashing those GCSEs before worrying anymore about unis...

Posted from TSR Mobile
applying to 5 highly competitive universities is very risky. How will you feel if all 5 reject you. Also depending on the subject you need to realise that people applying with A*AA will be probably be the weaker applicants. Imperial and Oxbridge often require higher than this for STEM subjects. For example Durham look at very high UMS scores as well. I think the advice about a range of universities is excellent. Maybe apply for 2 of these and have some good back ups in case of rejection
Reply 18

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't picking them because they were in the top 5. They're genuinely the ones I feel as though I'd thrive the most in and that I'd enjoy going to. Of course, I still have a few years before any of this really needs to be considered so in that time I may change my mind! Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by GUMI
I'd honestly say it's not a horrible idea if you are confident enough. Though maybe you should put 4 top unis and 1 perhaps easier to get in uni just to be safe. But if you have good scores and a solid personal statement id feel pretty confident about applying.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending