The Student Room Group

My mum hides my failures and it hurts me

I only realised it today, but its pretty clear now that its been going on for a while.

My mum keeps lying about me when talking to her friends and my relatives, pretending that i didn't screw something up when I did, etc.

e.g. she said I got into a uni which actually rejected me, but she was saying that I rejected the uni and picked a worse one close to home.

How do I go about telling her to stop doing it?
Wouldn't be shocked if you was Asian

(I am Asian myself.)
Original post by Anonymous
I only realised it today, but its pretty clear now that its been going on for a while.

My mum keeps lying about me when talking to her friends and my relatives, pretending that i didn't screw something up when I did, etc.

e.g. she said I got into a uni which actually rejected me, but she was saying that I rejected the uni and picked a worse one close to home.

why does it hurt?

tell her you know the balls she's pulling and get it straight with her that you know what's happening
Reply 3
Original post by thefatone
why does it hurt?

tell her you know the balls she's pulling and get it straight with her that you know what's happening

It hurts because I know that shes trying to cover up my screw ups, because i'm not good enough to meet expectations.

In reality, it just pisses me off a lot. I got really angry when I overheard it.

Well im going to go confront her now, wish me luck!
My mum is the same. During a phone conversation with a relative, I was asked asked how uni was and I replied 'Oh, I left...' Before I could say anything, my mum took the phone from me and asked me what I was doing. I dropped out and will be starting a different course at a different uni in September and she wanted me to lie and tell them how much fun I was having at university.

Luckily, I'm happy with my choices and confident in myself so it doesn't affect me. If anything, I feel sorry for her. I don't see how anyone can be happy while caring so much about other people's opinions.
Reply 5

You need to find a convenient moment and talk to her
It hurts because I know that shes trying to cover up my screw ups, because i'm not good enough to meet expectations.

In reality, it just pisses me off a lot. I got really angry when I overheard it.

Well im going to go confront her now, wish me luck!

i guess that's what she's implying with her actions

good luck! ^-^
either deal with it with good humour or have a word with her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending