The Student Room Group

How to stop comfort eating?

Ive been comfort eating a lot recently.
I get cravings in my head for snacks (not healthy stuff) and i cant resisit it.
I have to eat a lot to feel full but i ususally feel a bit sick at this point!!
Ive alos noticed ive gained weight recently too and am a bit fatter!!
How can i stop this and also lose the weight and the fat ive gained?
Im being bullied at the moment so i think that may be causing it.
I also feel really guilt and bad after ive comfort eaten because i know its wrong but i cant help it.
Thanks
You need to make a choice between eating the amount of food you are or losing weight Go and join mfp and they will teach you about weight loss.
You control what you eat.

You cna change what you eat to feel fuller, but as you said if its comfort eating then thats just an alternative eating your feelings sort of thing. Be sure to tlak to someone about the bullying. If you are under 18 then tlak to a cunselor at Childlines, your GP or your parents.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Ive been comfort eating a lot recently.
I get cravings in my head for snacks (not healthy stuff) and i cant resisit it.
I have to eat a lot to feel full but i ususally feel a bit sick at this point!!
Ive alos noticed ive gained weight recently too and am a bit fatter!!
How can i stop this and also lose the weight and the fat ive gained?
Im being bullied at the moment so i think that may be causing it.
I also feel really guilt and bad after ive comfort eaten because i know its wrong but i cant help it.
Thanks

I guess if you're comfort eating the best way to stop would be to work out why you're needing to comfort yourself and try to prevent that. Are you stressed or anything?
I comfort ate a bit when I was depressed and it stopped when I stopped being depressed.

I guess trying to distract yourself or eat other healthier foods when you have cravings may help too. I used to have little snacks constantly rather than full meals (I couldn't eat a lot in one sitting). I guess doing something like that may mean you can still snack but hopefully not put on as much weight.

I think the only real way to stop it will be to deal with it at the root though. Have you ever looked into CBT? The base concept may help you. I think comfort eating is probably kinda simmilar to things like OCD in cause (an unwanted ritual or comfort which is triggered by stress) is trand CBT helps with that.
Reply 3
Original post by Kindred
I guess if you're comfort eating the best way to stop would be to work out why you're needing to comfort yourself and try to prevent that. Are you stressed or anything?
I comfort ate a bit when I was depressed and it stopped when I stopped being depressed.

I guess trying to distract yourself or eat other healthier foods when you have cravings may help too. I used to have little snacks constantly rather than full meals (I couldn't eat a lot in one sitting). I guess doing something like that may mean you can still snack but hopefully not put on as much weight.

I think the only real way to stop it will be to deal with it at the root though. Have you ever looked into CBT? The base concept may help you. I think comfort eating is probably kinda simmilar to things like OCD in cause (an unwanted ritual or comfort which is triggered by stress) is trand CBT helps with that.

Its either because of the bullying or my OCD.

I guess i could but i get cravings for cakes and biscuits and stuff like that.
I couldnt do that! I need the proper food from meals too! I actually feel satisfied at those times.

Im aware of what CBT is. Ive had two rounds of CBT therapy for my OCD so im aware of what it is and how it works.
My OCD was caused by stress so it really doesnt mix with me.

Thanks
Don't buy the food to start with? I have problems avoiding eating sugary crap so now I just don't buy it - don't go shopping when you're hungry.
Our bodies crave what we put in them. If you feed your body sugary foods it will crave them, if you feed it fruit and veg it will crave it.

It takes 21 days to form a new habit. Don't I'm giving it all up! Your setting yourself up for failure.

1. Pick one thing you have noticed. I noticed this week I have been snacking on something sweet like pop corn after lunch pretty much every day. So I am giving up post lunch snacks, If i really want something then I have an apple. You just need to form good habits and these take time.

2. Being bullied is horrible and can really make you hate yourself. Look in the mirror once a day and pick something you like 'if you don't like anything just pretend for now' I like my eyes, they are so expressive. Then build out until you can one day say 'I like me'

It took me YEARS and Years to get there but once I did!!! :smile:
Will power, just don't eat em.

Eat what what you want, but workout and burn off the extra calories.

Quick Reply

Latest