The Student Room Group

Is A-level chemistry hard??

Obviously I know it won't be easy but I just want to know maybe how hard it is. I'm considering taking it at sixth form along with biology, health and social care and psychology as I would like to be a doctor. I'm currently getting B's in biology and chemistry ( aiming for A's however) and C's in core physics but D's in additional however with my coursework all together I get like a B in core and additional overall.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My advice: I'd get advice off the people who know you far better than we do, i.e. your teachers.
Original post by Pigster
My advice: I'd get advice off the people who know you far better than we do, i.e. your teachers.

Thankyou I understand your advice but just wanted advice on someone who is taking a level chemistry on what it's like and the content etc.
Original post by Emily.rafferty
Obviously I know it won't be easy but I just want to know maybe how hard it is. I'm considering taking it at sixth form along with biology, health and social care and psychology as I would like to be a doctor. I'm currently getting B's in biology and chemistry ( aiming for A's however) and C's in core physics but D's in additional however with my coursework all together I get like a B in core and additional overall.

I am not going to sugar coat It. It is damn hard and annoying at times. However, that is the beauty of Chemistry. It is a challenging and rewarding subject. If you are dedicated to put 100% of your effort into the subject, then you should be fine. :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Emily.rafferty

How are you with maths? In A level chemistry you have to do maths. There's moles (again.) %error, uncertainties and graphs.
Apart from that in the first year you do titrations, redox, organic chemistry, enthalpy changes just naming a few.. Also do you do further additional science? (Modules 5 and 6) it helps a lot if youve covered it otherwise you'll have a lot to catch up on. You need B/A in chemistry to continue it for A level.
It's hard. I don't recommend it. It is 1000 times harder than biology and maths. I'm currently going to tuiton for it.

However, that is my biased perspective. I know many people who do well in chemistry and absolutely love it, but if you wanna be a doctor, you'll have to stick it out and do it, regardless of how hard it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are willing to put the work in when it gets hard and don't give up then its brilliant subject.
I have to say quite a few people dropped the subject in my school as they were struggling with the content.
Most were forced to leave and one did voluntarily (she achieved quite a few A*s at GCSE as well!).

Once you 'get it' it will seem pretty straightforward - well for the old spec anyway :colondollar: been getting around 95% in past papers. The new spec specimen papers from what I have heard is far more difficult, fingers crossed I'll do okay in them.

Just work hard and try to really understand everything. Don't leave any doubts in your head or you will end up falling behind. And if you do fall behind you should have the perseverance to catch up.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nomophobia
It's hard. I don't recommend it. It is 1000 times harder than biology and maths. I'm currently going to tuiton for it.

However, that is my biased perspective. I know many people who do well in chemistry and absolutely love it, but if you wanna be a doctor, you'll have to stick it out and do it, regardless of how hard it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I ask how much is tuition and how often do you have it? All subjects or just chemistry?
If you want to be a Doctor you kinda have to do chemistry a lot of the medicine uni courses ask for it. It's very hard but so's every other a-level subject, if you're good at it in GCSE you'll probably be fine in A-level :smile:
Original post by RiahDawson
Can I ask how much is tuition and how often do you have it? All subjects or just chemistry?

£29 for 1 hour 20 minutes - I think it's a reasonable price. I'm currently having it once a week but I might up it if I do badly in the next mock (I also went to tuiton last year when I was doing Further Maths at GCSE which was super hard -.-)

Just chemistry - I get A's in my other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
-------
(edited 8 years ago)
--------
(edited 8 years ago)
yes, very hard, harder than the hardness of all hard cocks put together.
Yeah, not as hard as physics though. I quite like it because revision is quite easy and you don't have to memorise a lot of crap like in biology
1) are there loads of sh*t processes/experiments that we just need to memorise?
- eg extraction of rock, purification of water, Miller-Urey etc etc
2) do you still have to learn topics like "The Earth and its Atmosphere"? :colonhash:

Original post by nomophobia
£29 for 1 hour 20 minutes - I think it's a reasonable price. I'm currently having it once a week but I might up it if I do badly in the next mock (I also went to tuiton last year when I was doing Further Maths at GCSE which was super hard -.-)

Just chemistry - I get A's in my other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh thanks :smile: I've looked around for tuition before and one of the places was £40 an hour 😨😨. They were also teaching a different exam board.
Original post by RiahDawson
Ohh thanks :smile: I've looked around for tuition before and one of the places was £40 an hour 😨😨. They were also teaching a different exam board.

WHAT?! That's not even worth it - although it does depend on where you live too, obvs. That's useless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
A2 is a killer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I started off AS levels back in 2014 thinking that AS chemistry was the hardest science but now that I've matured a little, I think it's the easiest as long as you're good with the content. I find chemistry the easiest and biology would be the hardest (which is why I dropped it in A2) while physics is in the middle.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BethanofAsgard
If you want to be a Doctor you kinda have to do chemistry a lot of the medicine uni courses ask for it. It's very hard but so's every other a-level subject, if you're good at it in GCSE you'll probably be fine in A-level :smile:

Thankyou! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest