The Student Room Group

Is it risky to apply to only universities within the 'top 5'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by picklescamp
I wish I'd applied to more than one top 5 because I certainly deserved to get into more than one imo, but you certainly need to apply to at least 2 from the 5-15 mark with lower grades so you have a viable insurance or you can be confident you'll get an offer from at least one university, not that it should be a problem unless you want to do medicine or something else highly competitive.

Thanks! Where did you apply and where did you get into?
Reply 21
Original post by Arkasia
My advice would be: two optimistic, two your level, one insurance.

Thanks!
Reply 22
Original post by alcibiade
Have a safety school. It's elementary.

It's a decent idea to try and have at least one with a lower entry requirement than the others, but not essential if you're confident in your abilities
Reply 24
Original post by jneill
Actually, if OPs level really is A*A*A then I think going for 4 or 5 "top" unis is a perfectly good idea. Although maybe keep 1 slot for safety.

For STEM subjects I'm pretty sure any "Oxbridge" candidate will be applying to Imperial plus 2 or 3 other leading unis for their course. (Except Medicine but that's a different game.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'm only a GCSE student right now but I'm being optimistic as I do believe I'm capable of high grades. I'm interested in applying for law. :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by StrangeBanana
Economics isn't that competitive. Law and Medicine are the only ridiculous ones.

If the table is the only thing you look at, sure. If you do a bunch of research on a bunch of unis and the ones you decide to apply for happen to be the top 4/5 on the league tables - assuming you're a good enough student - then there's no reason you should hold back.

Thank you so much! Congratulations on that by the way. Where did you end up going? I do understand what many others have said about not just picking the top 5 but, as you have stated, the ones I'm most interested in do happen to be in the top 5 or so! I don't think that's unreasonable at all given that they all are excellent universities. If I do happen to be capable when the time comes, why not?
I want to apply for law and I do understand that that's one of the most competitive of them all. I'm willing to work very hard though.
Reply 26
Original post by runningoutoftime
All I would say is be careful, have a back up, I was predicted A*A*A at A level, exams went well, results day I got BBD- basically I was royaly screwed over by the exam boards! Hence I didn't get into my top choice (Exeter) If your predicted high grades, apply for one uni that has slightly lower grade requirements, I.e. ABB , it will still be a good uni:smile:

Thank you!
I wasn't very serious on the UK so I applied to the top 4 + UCL cause it had a nice name (do NOT do that second bit lol).

But I would say if you're serious and a gap year is out of the question, keep 1-2 choices that are ones you'll almost certainly get offers from.
It depends on
a) the subject - some are far more competitive than others - you will have a significantly different experience if you opt for law as opposed to, say, a modern foreign language
b) whether or not you are happy to risk ending up in Clearing and/or having a gap year

It's also worth noting that there's no such thing as a defined top 5 (or 10, or 20) universities - ask five different people what the top 5 unis are and you'll get five different answers. League tables tell you naff all - read this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1096372
Reply 29
those are good grades, i would take the durham out and apply to somewhere like exeter so top10
I think it's a better idea to apply to the top 5 rather than applying to universities lower down the tables just because you feel the need to have insurance choices. Too many people apply to two or three universities they wouldn't actually be happy at because they've been told to have those safety choices.

I happen to think league tables are pretty much useless and decisions shouldn't be based on them above all else, but if you're only interested in those five universities and they all happen to be up there then why not take the chance? You have Extra and Clearing if you end up with no offers, or you can take a gap year and apply the next year. Whatever you do make sure you only apply to places you 100% want to go to.
Reply 31
If you would only be happy going to unis of that quality, and feel you are capable, then why not. Adjustment, clearing and gap year are all fall back options so it's not like you'd be in a terrible situation even if you missed out on all.
Original post by e2014
Thanks! Where did you apply and where did you get into?

I applied to Cambridge (rather unenthusiastically), Durham, Birmingham, Newcastle and York. Got into all but Cambridge. In hindsight I should've applied to Exeter and St Andrews and maybe UCL or Kings.
Original post by Student403
I wasn't very serious on the UK so I applied to the top 4 + UCL cause it had a nice name (do NOT do that second bit lol).

But I would say if you're serious and a gap year is out of the question, keep 1-2 choices that are ones you'll almost certainly get offers from.

What uni are you going to next year then? I guess somewhere in the us but im curious haha
Original post by samb1234
What uni are you going to next year then? I guess somewhere in the us but im curious haha

Cornell
Reply 35
Cornell

Wow! Congratulations. Wait, so are you a British student going to America to study?
Cornell

Ah very nice, i imagine in the winters it gets a bit cold tho haha
Reply 37
Original post by picklescamp
I applied to Cambridge (rather unenthusiastically), Durham, Birmingham, Newcastle and York. Got into all but Cambridge. In hindsight I should've applied to Exeter and St Andrews and maybe UCL or Kings.

That's still absolutely amazing! Did you get an interview at Cambridge though? Also, what GCSE grades did you get? What subject was you applying for?
Original post by Princepieman
Yes.

Apply to a spread of universities: some highly competitive/high entry requirments, some achievable entry requirements, and a couple slightly below.

Would you say Cambridge, Exeter, Bath, St Andrews, Surrey and Reading are a good spread for economics?

I'll be cutting that list down to 5 after open days and results.
Original post by e2014
Wow! Congratulations. Wait, so are you a British student going to America to study?

Thank you :h: I'm both British and American but I live abroad
Original post by samb1234
Ah very nice, i imagine in the winters it gets a bit cold tho haha

Cheers! It does, yep! Gets to -10 to -20

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending