The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

England is such an unhappy country

Scroll to see replies

You see, this is why we built an empire, so we could holiday in places that didn't have rain 8/10 of the days as well as being cold most of the year.
Reply 141
Original post by WBZ144
And being there for 3 months, we're you unable to tell the difference between the Chinese and Malays? Yes they are all Singaporean, the same way that there are Whites, Blacks and Indians who are all Brits but the Malays are the indigenous population and they are the minority. The majority immigrated from China and some from India (although less).

Yes their original heritage is mixed up into 4 cultures, malay, chinese and they speak several languages including Singlish. However, they ALL buy into Singapore's culture. That is why they are Singaporeans, because they have no other agendas before that of respecting the country they are in and abiding by the traits and customs of it. You simply cannot say that about the type of immigrants we have here. Oh and bt the malay and chinese and so on are the older people. All the young people in Singapore are largely born and bred in Singapore and Singaporeans. No opposing cultures of economic migrants or the like. Just Singaporeans.
Original post by Parx
Yes their original heritage is mixed up into 4 cultures, malay, chinese and they speak several languages including Singlish. However, they ALL buy into Singapore's culture. That is why they are Singaporeans, because they have no other agendas before that of respecting the country they are in and abiding by the traits and customs of it. You simply cannot say that about the type of immigrants we have here. Oh and bt the malay and chinese and so on are the older people. All the young people in Singapore are largely born and bred in Singapore and Singaporeans. No opposing cultures of economic migrants or the like. Just Singaporeans.

The same way a non-White person born and bred in England is English, yet you claim there are no English people left in London.
A group of selfish, individualistic and bitchy individuals can never be happy.
Reply 144
Original post by WBZ144
The same way a non-White person born and bred in England is English, yet you claim there are no English people left in London.

I consider black people to be British. However there's also nothing wrong in wanting white British people around also.
The UK would generally be happier without the far right constantly banging on about immigration all day.

Seriously, get a ****ing life.
Reply 146
why don't you grow your mind and grow some balls? i'm perfectly successful thank you and probably earning 2/3x your salary. loser
Original post by Parx
why don't you grow your mind and grow some balls? i'm perfectly successful thank you and probably earning 2/3x your salary. loser

The fact that you literally just said that makes me extremely sad because not only does it completely invalidate everything you've previously said but it makes you seem like an immature prepubescent tween.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The UK would generally be happier without the far right constantly banging on about immigration all day.

Seriously, get a ****ing life.

Caring about your country is not far right. Get lost. Why can you not see this is not good for our country it is cultural suicide.
Reply 149
equally so for the person who told me to get a life. I can guarantee every poster on this thread that I am very likely more successful than the most (if not all) of you, to this day. I take offence when losers to opposition cannot face opposition honestly without resorting to demeaning comments like saying that I'm some fat loserwho goes to the pub every night or to get a ****ing life. I can guarantee those ****ers that I've a darn more successful life than them.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm happy here. At least I won't come across a snake on the road or find any cockroaches in my house.
Original post by Born_Survivor
Caring about your country is not far right. Get lost. Why can you not see this is not good for our country it is cultural suicide.

Here we go. The far right claiming a monopoly on caring for our country, when in fact they just have a monopoly on racism.
This country is **** thats why. **** weather, **** food, **** prices, British reservedness, transport is too expensive, taxed up the ass...
There are times i like this country (the NHS) but most times i really do wish i was born somewhere else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
@Parx: No one gives a flying **** how much you earn!! You felt the need to uphold your online reputation because someone dared say you had no life -- that is really ****ing sad. If you really are so much more successful than us peasants, and command other people to "grow their minds" (wtf?), then you wouldn't be making those stupid, arrogant, pompous comments. Reevaluate your ****ing existence.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Here we go. The far right claiming a monopoly on caring for our country, when in fact they just have a monopoly on racism.

Not one word i said was rascist. When it comes to tackling the hard problems the left run away make excuses and pretend it is not happening. The left have no argument they've screwed up this country and now they've got the cheek to deny there's even a problem.

Now is the time to start caring about our country and our future children's and the best thing we can do now is vote to leave the EU.
Original post by Settle
@Parx: No one gives a flying **** how much you earn!! You felt the need to uphold your online reputation because someone dared say you had no life -- that is really ****ing sad. If you really are so much more successful than us peasants, and command other people to "grow their minds" (wtf?), then you wouldn't be making those stupid, arrogant, pompous comments. Reevaluate your ****ing existence.

He doesn't have to justify himself to you or anyone. Stop it with ad hominem attacks this is a debating forium if you have no argument, you've lost this one take it like a man.
Original post by Born_Survivor
He doesn't have to justify himself to you or anyone. Stop it with ad hominem attacks this is a debating forium if you have no argument, you've lost this one take it like a man.

No ad hominems on my part. i'm actually laughing at how poorly he/she responded to them though. But I do agree: let's try and keep it rational.
Yeah, I've lived in London all my life and since the millennium it has changed dramatically. The thing is, the most vocal advocates of mass immigration and endless diversity tend to be white British liberals. The people that I see gawping and celebrating London's supposed cultural "melting pot" are hessian bag-carrying young, white British liberals. They'll likely be the first ones to defend a Muslim woman's right to wear a veil even tho it is a sartorial barrier to integration.
A lot of young white British people in London seem to have a lot in common with those ultra liberal Swedes.
Totally disagree.

Adversity is what made us great and create the Empire.

Endless summer and luxury made other peoples of the world docile.
Original post by Parx

I live in Singapore. Your views are not on par with that of Singapore's. As of June 2014, there were 3.87 million residents (including 0.53 million non-citizens) and 1.60 million non-residents in Singapore. That means that as of 2014, 61% of the population were citizens of Singapore. According to the 2011 census, 36.7% of London's population was foreign born. The stats of both countries are pretty similar.

I don't understand what you mean by "Oh and bt the malay and chinese and so on are the older people." Every generation of Singaporeans is made up of Malays, Chinese, Indians and other races. You are right to say most residents buy into Singapore's culture. But that has less to do with with the 'type' of foreigners that Singapore attracts versus the 'type' that London attracts. It has more to do with how Singapore does not tolerate xenophobia or racism of any sort.

In Singapore, we all accept that with globalisation, our country's culture is bound to change. As Singaporeans, we try to promote our local culture as much as possible while being respectful of others' cultural requirements as well. We reach out to our foreigners. In that way, they are more likely to see our side of things. Similarly, we look to explore their cultures as well. There are a multitude of places in Singapore where we can explore other cultures.You don't seem willing to compromise at all. It's a matter of sheer luck that you were born in the UK. Could you try putting yourself in the shoes of the immigrants? They're likely feeling ostracised and unwelcome- probably why they don't share your culture. You should try to gain a better understanding of their side of things. Maybe then you can claim to have the same views as Singapore. As of the 2011 census, the majority of the population in London is still UK-born. You say you're not a racist. In line with that, you shouldn't be having a problem.

Original post by Parx
I feel so disappointed that I can't even share any cultural similarities to the people I am living with, in my homeland! And you are implying that I'm some racist. Pathetic. And you say minority in one or two towns. I am already a minority in London. I'm a minority in Luton, Bradford, Southall .. lots of places that will only grow more and more.

Yet you speak of being a minority in London. The UK-born population is made up of whites, blacks, and many other races and ethnicities. If you're not a racist and merely disagree with the fact that immigration is eroding your British culture, then you should be able to share cultural similarities with all of these people who were born and brought up in the UK- who make up a majority in London.

Slightly off the topic- I'm not trying to persuade you to reach my exact viewpoint. I understand that you're objecting to the destruction of British culture. I'm not British so I won't claim to completely understand the whole situation. I'm trying to help you see an outsider's (from a country that you claim embodies your argument) point of view on the matter. Take it or leave it. Singapore is successful because we embrace different cultures. We don't try to hold on to one culture and pray everyone buys into it. Singapore's culture was diverse to begin with because of the many races and religions it started with, and it keeps getting more diverse due to globalisation, which we accept and embrace. It's quite different from the point you're trying to make.

I also understand that you have your intellectual views and that you're making a point based on your intellectual opinion. That does not condone personal attacks and derogatory comments that don't further your argument in any way or form. Is it so hard to be civil? Disagreement is healthy and common in many ways, but the way in which you argue is demeaning, opinionated to the point where you put down every other viewpoint with little consideration, and just plain rude. You posted in a forum. Where people share their diverse opinions. If you've got such a problem with other viewpoints, why post?!?!?!?!?

On a final note, If you want to stay a member of this modern world, I suggest you open yourself up to a little bit of change.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending