The Student Room Group

How much rent do your parents charge you?

Unfortunately i'm stuck living with my mother in a small area away from anywhere desirable, until I can find a room that I can afford with the small amount that is called a "living wage". I'm forced to pay £100 a month or else i get a whole load of ****. Non negotiable and my mum feels like a landlord that lectures you, has eyes on you 24/7 and "tells you off" all the time. I'm 21+ and it's depressing. I'm desperately looking for a job that allows me to fly the nest, though seeing the price of matchbox rooms even these days in Manchester and Leeds is depressing.

I always wonder what parent i'd be if i ever have kids and if i have kids and i don't think i could ever have the same attitudes/parenting. i wouldn't charge them rent. Beating them down with more expenses on top of what they have to fork out for travel with the little money they earn doesn't feel right to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
None my parents let me live for free
Reply 3
Freeeeeee!
Original post by al_94
None my parents let me live for free

That would be my dream. Nobody barking "where's my money" at me.

http://youtu.be/ZomwVcGt0LE

Posted from TSR Mobile
£0 because they love me.
Original post by ForestShadow

:lol: that is so true

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think my mum is wicked enough to start charging me like I'm some random lodger
Reply 8
Your parents must hate you
Free for me too, though they make sure that I pay them back in other services.
(edited 8 years ago)

One of the most laboured and poor memes I have ever seen. Retire.
I'm also 21+, and I pay £0.

If I had finished with education and were working full time I'd expect to make some kind of contribution, to be honest, unless maybe I were saving up for a deposit or something.

£100 a month is really cheap accommodation OP. Try to keep it in perspective.
Original post by LaMandarine
Free for me too, they make sure that I pay them back in other services.

Reading all this is making me feel depressed. Price aside I seriously hate living here at the moment. Everyday is torture. Paying rent just doesnt feel right because it feels like there's a price on the love of your parents. You can't make a payment? There's an argument and one long talk asking me how much i'm earning, whats my pay, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jblackmoustache
Reading all this is making me feel depressed. Price aside I seriously hate living here at the moment. Everyday is torture.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Save up, find a decent flatshare around that area and leave.

I didn't just leave my parents' city to move out, I was willing to cross countries :lol:.
Original post by jblackmoustache
Reading all this is making me feel depressed. Price aside I seriously hate living here at the moment. Everyday is torture. Paying rent just doesnt feel right because it feels like there's a price on the love of your parents. You can't make a payment? There's an argument and one long talk asking me how much i'm earning, whats my pay, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Show your mum this thread. Say look (she'll say so what I'm sure) these children pay **** all as parents care they pass exams etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Free, they say I am paying and owe them but I've not paid them and I think they've forgotten, they also give me money to go out and pay for me to have tuition. Maybe if I was a bit older they'd actually charge.
Free of charge. My parents never ask me for money.

ffs man :biggrin:

tbh its all about that gold you get
I have to tidy my own room. It is so unfair.
Reply 19
Why should they put you up for free? Why shouldn't you contribute to the bills etc?

[video="youtube;sxSEW3sUitA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxSEW3sUitA[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest