The Student Room Group

100 UMS in C1/C2

Any students have any advice or tips to get 100 UMS in C1 and C2?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Acrux

Practice practice practice. If you run out of past papers, then try another exam board (they are all essentially the same). When you are marking and spot silly mistakes you've made, try noting it down somewhere and then try questions on that particular topic.
How do you make time for all that. Especially with other subjects.
Reply 3
Is it necessary to do Bronze/silver if you just do Gold?
Reply 4
Original post by Acrux
Is it necessary to do Bronze/silver if you just do Gold?

It's not necessary to do any of them.
Reply 5
Just do loads of past papers and know your stuff, if the past papers are too easy challenge yourself with papers on madas maths or check out other exam boards (though this isn't at all necessary), make sure you are familiar with where marks are allocated and how much method you need to show and make sure you have a thorough understanding to go with the practice. I say this as someone who got 100 in C1, 87 in C2, but C2 was my only non-100 module in A level Maths and I had 4 in FM so in general my advice can probably be trusted..
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
It's not necessary to do any of them.

Yes
so what enabled you to get 100 ums?
Reply 7
Original post by Acrux
Yes
so what enabled you to get 100 ums?

6/7 standard Edexcel A-Level papers, doesn't really require more than that.
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken

I would probably finish the last 1/7 of the paper. I think it is useful to complete the whole thing.

Spoiler

Reply 9
Original post by Balor
I would probably finish the last 1/7 of the paper. I think it is useful to complete the whole thing.

Spoiler

Cheeky. :lol:
Once you get skilled to an extent, the final few marks come with care. You have to avoid dropping marks rather than focussing directly on gaining them.

I have just done worked examples for 8 C2 papers and when I first do them I tend to rush. Through the checking/proof reading there wasn't one paper where I had not made a slip somewhere or possibly not chosen the most elegant solution and I am really pretty good at C2
Reply 11
Original post by Zacken

... for you.

For most students, doing 6/7 papers wouldn't be enough to get 100.
Reply 12
Original post by notnek
... for you.

For most students, doing 6/7 papers wouldn't be enough to get 100.

I'm of the mind that doing more papers than that is just diminishing returns, does doing more papers really improve your ability? I'll defer to your experience.
Also, at this level, technique is important. Examiners want to give marks where they can and
What your answers must achieve (to score high marks) is to tell a narrative. Poor answers are sometimes demonstrated by a page with little calculations and little bits of algebra all over it and an answer triumphantly underlined at the bottom.A better answer is a connected series of steps where the examiner can see the progression from beginning to end and apply marks as understanding is demonstrated.
In addition, notation is important. Examiners often see stuff like this

[br]cos2π3=(12)2=14+sinπ3=14+32=1+234+4=17+234[br][br]\cos^2{\frac{\pi}{3}}=\left( \frac{1}{2} \right )^2=\frac{1}{4}+ \sin \frac{\pi}{3}=\frac{1}{4}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}=\frac{1+2 \sqrt{3}}{4}+4=\frac{17+2 \sqrt{3}}{4}[br]

Which is nonsense. What is written on the left of an = sign should be the same as what is on the right.The answer above should be written something like the following.

[br]  cos2x+sinx+4=cos2π3+sinπ3+4=(12)2+32+4=14+234+164=17+234[br] [br]\begin{aligned}&\quad\; \cos^2x+ \sin x+4 \\&=\cos^2{\frac{\pi}{3}}+ \sin{\frac{\pi}{3}}+4 \\&=\left(\frac{1}{2} \right )^2+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}+4\\&= \frac{1}{4}+ \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{4}+ \frac{16}{4} \\&=\frac{17+2 \sqrt{3}}{4}\end{aligned}[br]

If you are aiming for 100UMS, you have to be prepared to tell the marker what you know in a way that they can understand it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken

I feel really strongly about the "work smarter, not harder" ethic in AL maths. A lot of the core content is not much of a jump up from GCSE at AS so I think it's definitely down to exam technique - not so much knowing the content well enough - when going for full, which I think can be learnt and perfected in 6-7 papers.

I don't think people should be practicing content through exam papers - I feel that's better done in review exercises
Reply 15
Original post by Zacken
I'm of the mind that doing more papers than that is just diminishing returns, does doing more papers really improve your ability? I'll defer to your experience.

Getting a good grade in maths requires understanding. Past papers often help improve grades but only for students who already have the understanding. 6/7 papers is fine for most students.

But getting 100 UMS is a completely different matter. For most students it requires a hell of a lot of practice. This includes doing as many papers as they can to get the edge on types of questions asked.

On TSR, getting 100 UMS isn't that uncommon but in reality it's a very rare event that is unheard of in most schools, even for C1. And the students who do get it have often done every past paper they can find.
Original post by Student403
I feel really strongly about the "work smarter, not harder" ethic in AL maths. A lot of the core content is not much of a jump up from GCSE at AS so I think it's definitely down to exam technique - not so much knowing the content well enough - when going for full, which I think can be learnt and perfected in 6-7 papers.

I don't think people should be practicing content through exam papers - I feel that's better done in review exercises

PRSOM
Do alot of papers know how a mark scheme works and just practice exam technique.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Don't bother with many Edexcel papers in that case. Stretch yourself with some extension material and then attempt the most recent papers (including R/IAL).
Original post by Acrux

how many marks on average would you need for 100 UMS on a C1 or C2 paper?

tbh i'm going for 100% but it doesn't look that way >.> i can get a good grade but i won't get 100% :/

Quick Reply

Latest