The Student Room Group

Really depressed, been rejected everywhere.

Hi guys,

I have really bad A level grades (CCD) and I want to study law. I was told that I can still make it to mediocre universities and applied directly to a few without UCAS.

I have been rejected by all of them and I'm really depressed because I was hoping to join university this year.

I have put out a few options for myself and I was wondering if I could get feedback or any other advice.

1. Forget the idea and dreams of going to university.
If I can't even get into an average university, what's the point in going. I'm so disheartened and put off of it that all it's doing is making me more depressed.

2. Wait for results day, so apply through clearing.
But even this is a pretty big risk, again I'd have my hopes up and if no university offers me a place I'd be heart broken.

3. Suck it up and go to a bad university.
I personally don't really like this option because I don't want to spend so much money on a university that isn't even worth it.

Also, could you guys suggest some universities that will accept me for Law with the grades CCD?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by So Fetch
Hi guys,

I have really bad A level grades (CCD) and I want to study law. I was told that I can still make it to mediocre universities and applied directly to a few without UCAS.

I have been rejected by all of them and I'm really depressed because I was hoping to join university this year.

I have put out a few options for myself and I was wondering if I could get feedback or any other advice.

If I can't even get into an average university, what's the point in going. I'm so disheartened and put off of it that all it's doing is making me more depressed.

But even this is a pretty big risk, again I'd have my hopes up and if no university offers me a place I'd be heart broken.

I personally don't really like this option because I don't want to spend so much money on a university that isn't even worth it.

Also, could you guys suggest some universities that will accept me for Law with the grades CCD?

How do you feel about foundation years?
Reply 2
Why did you apply without ucas? If you're applying for a full time course and aren't an international student you must use it, so it's possible you were rejected because it was the wrong route rather than because they didn't like you.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
How do you feel about foundation years?

I don't want to spend more than 3 years at university.

Original post by Juno
Why did you apply without ucas? If you're applying for a full time course and aren't an international student you must use it, so it's possible you were rejected because it was the wrong route rather than because they didn't like you.

I'm an international student. They shouldn't have the option if they don't want people using it right?
(edited 8 years ago)
Look, if it's your dream then you may want to do a foundation degree or a HND or something to go on to do the LLB. It's only an extra year and if you do well on that course you could even get into a good university. 4 years at uni isn't bad at all.

If you're not willing to do that extra year then unfortunately a decent law school won't accept those grades. Sometimes in life you have setbacks, and it's the people who see these as obstacles that they can overcome who are successful. If you sit around wallowing in self-pity and rejecting your limited options you will get nowhere.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi guys,

Foundation Year?
Reply 6
Original post by WBZ144
Look, if it's your dream then you may want to do a foundation degree or a HND or something to go on to do the LLB. It's only an extra year and if you do well on that course you could even get into a good university. 4 years at uni isn't bad at all.

If you're not willing to do that extra year then unfortunately a decent law school won't accept those grades. Sometimes in life you have setbacks, and it's the people who see these as obstacles that they can overcome who are successful. If you sit around wallowing in self-pity and rejecting your limited options you will get nowhere.

I understand that, but I can't pay for a foundation year anyway. I'm an international student, my fees are like 3k more than the average and foundation years are really expensive. For example, a foundation year at City university is 15,500 and and then 13,500 per year. That's like 56,000 pounds straight from the bank.

Original post by M14B
Foundation Year?

^
First you need to decide why it is you want to study law. Then, assess your options accordingly.

If it is (at least partly) as a means to become a lawyer you need to look ahead at your potential career paths and take what you find into account.

Also: are your grades final and achieved, or do you still have exams to sit?
I understand that, but I can't pay for a foundation year anyway. I'm an international student, my fees are like 3k more than the average and foundation years are really expensive. For example, a foundation year at City university is 15,500 and and then 13,500 per year. That's like 56,000 pounds straight from the bank.

^

What about an HND in Law? That's around £8,000 for an international student at Coventry University, would it be better?
Reply 9
Original post by TimmonaPortella
First you need to decide why it is you want to study law. Then, assess your options accordingly.

If it is (at least partly) as a means to become a lawyer you need to look ahead at your potential career paths and take what you find into account.

Also: are your grades final and achieved, or do you still have exams to sit?

I want a law degree for sure.

Yup they're final.
Reply 10
tbh there's no point applying to unis directly before clearing because no where is going to take CCD when they'll have given out conditional offers to people who are predicted to get their entry requirements, however loads of people won't meet them, and that's a fact, there will be places available and CCD is not bad enough to be taking bottom of the league table unis, but you're going to have to wait. And when results are out, make sure you are the first on the phone to anywhere and everywhere you want to go.
If you're open to the idea of distance learning, the Open University is well respected, cheaper than a brick uni and has no entry requirements for their degrees :smile:
I want a law degree for sure.

Yup they're final.

I am sure you do, but you are clearly considering your options, and your ultimate aims are relevant in that. If your aim is to go to a big law firm in England, for instance, you are quite likely talking about pissing your money up the wall.

This is relevant information to this decision. Making decisions without all the relevant information is foolish, particularly when you are talking (I would guess) about putting your own money on the line.
Reply 13
Original post by OConnorr
tbh there's no point applying to unis directly before clearing because no where is going to take CCD when they'll have given out conditional offers to people who are predicted to get their entry requirements, however loads of people won't meet them, and that's a fact, there will be places available and CCD is not bad enough to be taking bottom of the league table unis, but you're going to have to wait. And when results are out, make sure you are the first on the phone to anywhere and everywhere you want to go.

Thank you, you've made me feel much better. I know you probably can't know the answer to this for sure, but could you suggest a few not so bad universities that I should ring when the results are out? I mean of course there's no point in calling up Kings College, so could you suggest any realistic ones?

Also, how is London South Bank University?
Reply 14
I am sure you do, but you are clearly considering your options, and your ultimate aims are relevant in that. If your aim is to go to a big law firm in England, for instance, you are quite likely talking about pissing your money up the wall.

This is relevant information to this decision. Making decisions without all the relevant information is foolish, particularly when you are talking (I would guess) about putting your own money on the line.

If I'm honest, what I plan to do in the future won't be affected by what university I went to. But it's this personal thing, wasting so much money on something that's not worth it.
If I'm honest, what I plan to do in the future won't be affected by what university I went to. But it's this personal thing, wasting so much money on something that's not worth it.

Well, if you have a career/vocation/trust fund lined up, and you are just doing it out of interest, I would suggest your option 3.

A very large amount of a law degree is independent study anyway.
Reply 16
Well, if you have a career/vocation/trust fund lined up, and you are just doing it out of interest, I would suggest your option 3.

A very large amount of a law degree is independent study anyway.

Could you suggest any?
Reply 17
Could you suggest any?

Southampton Solent and the like.

Beware, in case you didn't understand what Timonna said, that university reputation matters a lot for law, and will inevitably affect your career prospects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by *Stefan*
Southampton Solent and the like.

Beware, in case you didn't understand what Timonna said, that university reputation matters a lot for law, and will inevitably affect your career prospects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How is London South Bank?

Yup I understood that, and I've also mentioned that the university I go to won't affect what I plan on doing in the future.
Could you suggest any?

I'm sorry, but no, not really. I applied five years ago with high grades and didn't really do much research, just stuck with the obvious handful.

Just wanted to check you were clear about your aims etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending