The Student Room Group

Architecture at Bath/UCL

It has been my dream for years to be an architect, and now I'm finally looking at unis I have fallen completely in love with Bath and UCL! I know they are complete opposites in terms of arts based and science based but that isn't an issue to me. My issue is how competitive these courses are! From the prospectus it seems there are roughly 20 people who apply per place! I'm wondering if anyone on these courses and what I can do now for my personal statement to get noticed?
My A Levels are Maths Mechanics, German, and Art and I'm predicted A*/A and I'm willing to work really hard!
Bath will be cheaper, but I would argue UCL is the more prestigious course.
I also really want to go to these two unis to do architecture! I'm in AS taking Maths, History, Art and Product Design
Reply 3
Original post by TSRMatt
I also really want to go to these two unis to do architecture! I'm in AS taking Maths, History, Art and Product Design

Wow your A Levels are better than mine for Architecture! What have you done in terms in extra curriculum stuff to get noticed?
Original post by zoemyers
Wow your A Levels are better than mine for Architecture! What have you done in terms in extra curriculum stuff to get noticed?

Well, in terms of architecture - not much. Currently, I'm a principal student in my sixth form and I'm also part of the student council! I also did NCS last year which accounted for voluntary work. Still gotta find work experience though!
Reply 5
Original post by TSRMatt
Well, in terms of architecture - not much. Currently, I'm a principal student in my sixth form and I'm also part of the student council! I also did NCS last year which accounted for voluntary work. Still gotta find work experience though!

Ah yes I've done NCS too! And yes, I would definitely recommend work experience, when I was year 11 I did work experience at a local architect's office and I loved it! I'm hoping to go back this summer- and it is great for Personal Statements because it shows you're dedicated to the subject :smile:
Original post by zoemyers
Ah yes I've done NCS too! And yes, I would definitely recommend work experience, when I was year 11 I did work experience at a local architect's office and I loved it! I'm hoping to go back this summer- and it is great for Personal Statements because it shows you're dedicated to the subject :smile:

Yeah!! What did you do whilst in the firm?
Reply 7
Original post by TSRMatt
Yeah!! What did you do whilst in the firm?

They actually gave me my own brief, so I designed a hypothetical café using all the online programmes they use! I'm now a pro at SketchUp :P and one day I went for a full day of meetings with the boss, one was a three hour meeting! It was fun but tiring :P

Quick Reply