The Student Room Group

Can I survive on minimum maintenance grant?

Long story short: for various reasons, I am having to apply for a student loan without my mum's permission therefore I can only get the lowest maintenance grant.

I am hoping to go to Cambridge (if I meet my offer) and the approximate living costs for my college are as follows:

- Accommodation: £123.76 a week for 30 weeks
- Kitchen facilities charge: £159 a term for 3 terms

That would come to a total of £4189.8 before I even factor in food expenditure which I'm guessing will be at least £50 a week. So, it seems inevitable that I will be spending in excess of my grant.

I can probably get a part time job and use my income to supplement the grant.

What is the least I could get away with spending on food per week?
Can't quote you figures but with only 50 a week you would have to budget properly and only spend when absolutely necessary. Look around for a part time job

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah you'll need a job. I went Manchester, which is relatively cheap, and even then people on the maximum loan needed jobs to survive.

In your case, it is doable if you ration/ budget, but will not be a fun.
Reply 3
Original post by Platopus
Long story short: for various reasons, I am having to apply for a student loan without my mum's permission therefore I can only get the lowest maintenance grant.

I am hoping to go to Cambridge (if I meet my offer) and the approximate living costs for my college are as follows:

That would come to a total of £4189.8 before I even factor in food expenditure which I'm guessing will be at least £50 a week. So, it seems inevitable that I will be spending in excess of my grant.

I don't quite understand, did she refuse to give financial disclosure?
Reply 4
Original post by a_cmm
I'm self catered and spend max £40 a week on food. Its not difficult as long as you don't buy ready made food and takeaways.

But what about your bills and rent etc?
Reply 5
Original post by IAmNero
I don't quite understand, did she refuse to give financial disclosure?

It's complicated. She doesn't exactly want me going to university.
Reply 6
It's complicated. She doesn't exactly want me going to university.

I see. In that case you may be able to get extra funding if you aren't getting any support from your parents. I.e. You are financially dependent on your own income.
I would contact SFE or SLC and see what they suggest.
(edited 8 years ago)

You can't have a job if you go to Cambridge. Also, £50 a week is more than enough for food - if you exclude nights out and formals etc. then I spend about £25 a week
Original post by IAmNero
I see. In that case you may be able to get extra funding if you aren't getting any support from your parents. I.e. You are financially dependent on your own income.
I would contact SFE or SLC and see what they suggest.

It's far more complex than that. You either have to be self supporting for 3 years prior to uni or prove that you're estranged from your parents.
Reply 9

There is a range in costs from cheapest to most expensive accommodation at most colleges. The cheapest may well be significantly lower than the average, but there's probably only a few rooms at the cheapest level. It will be worth you expressing a preference for the cheapest when you apply for accommodation.

Also you might have to budget for a prepayment or deposit at the start of your first term, depending on the college. Emma is £1500! £300 or so is more usual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

A part time job is a terrible idea at Cambridge - you have short terms which means LONG holidays. That's when you should be working to cover extra costs not during those short terms.

Speak to your college about your mum's objections and that you'll only have the minimum with no household contribution. They may well have hardship or additional funds in place to help people in your situation. They may also be able to prioritise the cheapest accommodation for you.

It is expected that students will work between the end of their A level exams and the start of term - if you do a full time minimum wage job for 12 weeks then you should be able to save £1,500 if not more.
Reply 11
Original post by Tiger Rag
It's far more complex than that. You either have to be self supporting for 3 years prior to uni or prove that you're estranged from your parents.

However, if they can prove exceptional circumstances then it shouldn't matter
Original post by IAmNero

Proving estrangement is not straight forward - you have to prove no contact whatsoever not just a disagreement over the decision to go to university.
Original post by IAmNero

What "exceptional circumstances"? You either must be self supporting for the last 3 years or estranged from your parents. There's no way around this.
£50 a week is too much for one person for food. Both my kids have survived (easily) on £30 per week for food and managed to put beer in their trolley out of that!

Because of our earnings both mine got the minimum student loan. Child 1 went to Teesside, very cheap cost of living in Middlesbrough, and had the type of course where he could work 8 hours a week and all holidays so lived very comfortably.

Child 2 is at Leeds doing a healthcare course, has no long summer holiday, can't work due to 50% of time being on placement, NHS course so maintenance loan is reduced further as well and bursary doesn't make it up to the minimum student loan. Leeds is also expensive. So, as parents we are supplementing child 2 with around £400 per month.

If this is Cambridge, you won't be able to manage on the basic maintenance loan. As PQ says speak to your college and get a summer job if you can.
Reply 15
I have submitted my application and filled in the household income assessment form but they didn't ask me to send in any proof of income, just a copy of my mum's decree nisi. Will they ask for proof of income later?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending