The Student Room Group

Should people get fined for dropping litter?

Poll

Should there be fines for dropping litter?

There is some mad drama outside the office today.

Basically there are these three policemen sitting in the station forecourt watching all the people to see if any one drops any litter. If they catch someone littering, they're fining them.

This man on a bike is getting really cross and keeps riding round in circles shouting and just tried giving them a handful of cigarette butts.

Now one of them is fining a man for dropping a bus ticket.

What do you think about this?

Scroll to see replies

Of course there should be small fines, but surely using CCTV would be better than being there in person?
Oh man, a woman just dropped something and now she's being fined and missed her bus
[video="youtube;gAYL5H46QnQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ[/video]
Don't litter. It's really not hard. If you litter, including cig butts, then you deserve to be fined and have your day inconvenienced.

Littering is disgusting. Same applies to spitting.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't agree with littering but I definitely think they should at least start with a warning, especially if someone accidentally drops something.
I mean, littering isn't great at all, but I think there are times we all do it, whether accidentally or not... I think a fine is going a bit far, and I think that the cost of having those policeman in the station forecourt on the look out for litterers is not compensated by the money they receive from fines, and they could probably be put to better use elsewhere.
It's not OK to litter. But if I dropped my bus pass and got fined for it, I wouldn't accept it quietly either. Littering should be met with a fine. Police being overzealous because someone dropped their bus pass should be met with a disciplinary.
It's also worth noting that serious littering would probably be classed as fly tipping, which if they catch you, is very likely to get you fined... so it does already happen to an extent.
In an ideal world, yes, but there's no practical way of consistent enforcement, so no.
Its the gums. The chewing gums :puke: Nasty sticky things :unimpressed:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
There is some mad drama outside the office today.

Basically there are these three policemen sitting in the station forecourt watching all the people to see if any one drops any litter. If they catch someone littering, they're fining them.

This man on a bike is getting really cross and keeps riding round in circles shouting and just tried giving them a handful of cigarette butts.

Now one of them is fining a man for dropping a bus ticket.

What do you think about this?

I find it disgusting that people will just drop their litter wherever they please. It shows 0 respect for their environment and the people surrounding them.
Reply 12
Yes, people who drop litter show absolutely no consideration for anyone but themselves. There really is no excuse. Fine them to stop it from happening and pay for the poor soul who has to pick it up.
Original post by pjm600
Yes, people who drop litter show absolutely no consideration for anyone but themselves. There really is no excuse. Fine them to stop it from happening and pay for the poor soul who has to pick it up.

If they get too good at stopping it from happening then all the street sweepers will lose their jobs :eek3:
Reply 14
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
If they get too good at stopping it from happening then all the street sweepers will lose their jobs :eek3:

I'm sure they'd be able to get a job removing chewing gum from the streets, until everyone stops chewing gum, then they can cut the grass or polish lampposts or something.
Original post by iEthan
It's not OK to litter. But if I dropped my bus pass and got fined for it, I wouldn't accept it quietly either. Littering should be met with a fine. Police being overzealous because someone dropped their bus pass should be met with a disciplinary.

Are you sure that's litter?
Yes!
Crazy I'm one of two people who voted no.

Fines are too extreme for this in my opinion.
depends how drastic it is, or else practically everybody in the country should be getting fines, but they're not. so the only thing that can set the ones that deserve a fine from the ones that don't is how much they are littering.
no. in my experience more people are getting fined for dropping litter than actual crimes such as violence. Met police are busy keeping the earth clean, but lagging behind with giving support to families suffering domestic violence or dealing with real things...

the amount of people that drop litter, maybe more bins should be placed around? but maybe for bigger litter like idk electronics, people legit leave electronics on the ground and walk away.

Quick Reply

Latest