The Student Room Group

Can I really get into a good university for Psychology with an Access course?

(edited 6 years ago)
You need to contact each of them and see what their entry requirements are.
I'm just about finished with an Access to Science course and have offers from Bristol, KCL and Exeter. It's not quite the same as your situation, but yes, you can go to very good universities via this route.

Again, it's not the same situation but I found Manchester very demanding with what they wanted in terms of grades. Cambridge do accept access diplomas but obviously you have to be something pretty special to get in there.

A quick look on UCAS tells me that Durham don't accept access diplomas, Manchester do, Bristol do, King's do and Cambridge say they don't but you'd probably need to contact them directly for confirmation.

You can do this if you have the drive, but don't expect to have your hand held; most of the course will be self-taught which, in my opinion, should put you in a good position for university life.
Manchester (30D 15M), Durham (30D 15M), Bristol (30D 15M and require 12 credits from science), Cambridge (45D), KCL (36D 12M). So the short answer is yes, you can absolutely get into a great university with an access course!
Looking on UCAS Manchester, KCL and Bristol all accept Access to HE for their psychology courses, it's still worth contacting the others as well. I know that Durham also offer foundation years for some subjects.

I've found (through looking at unis for Computer Science) that the top 5 tend to always want A-levels for STEM subjects but almost everywhere else accepts Access Courses, me and other people on my course have managed to get offers from RG and 94 Group unis.
Yes, you can. Just make a good impression with your lecturers/tutors from the start and rack up those distinctions.

Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad

A quick look on UCAS tells me that Durham don't accept access diplomas, Manchester do, Bristol do, King's do and Cambridge say they don't but you'd probably need to contact them directly for confirmation.

Are you sure about Durham? They gave me an offer on the back of an access course. Although things may have changed since then.
I'd also still check with the uni in question unless they specifically say on UCAS that Access to HE isn't accepted. When I was looking at Lancaster they didn't quote it on UCAS at all but did on their own website for some reason.
Original post by Wisefire
I just worry and speculate, because I am not that knowledgeable in this, that going to a lesser institution like a state FE College hinders my chances of getting into good universities like those you've got offers from. Or is it purely about qualifications and access to and the level of work done on those qualifications?

Do you know how universities judge candidates, if they're not given predicted grades (Access course students don't recieve them?) References, GCSE grades, and the personal statement?

The college I go to is third world af, in all honesty, so I don't think that plays a part at all. I had planned to do A Levels but the college stopped offering them last year; access was the only option left and I was pretty worried that it was going to be considered a lesser qualification by many universities. Thankfully, I haven't found that to be the case.

Leicester and Sussex both gave me offers off the strength of my personal statement, it seems. Bristol, KCL and Exeter all asked for an updated reference including grades achieved thus far (this was around January). Got the offer from Bristol, got invited to an interview at KCL and then got an offer from them. Exeter took forever to get back to me but finally got an offer a few weeks ago.
I would say that my GCSEs got me quite far because I retook them last year and got pretty good grades considering you only get eight months to learn the subjects. It's hard to say though; maybe they just had a quota to fill and I got lucky!

Original post by Quantex
Are you sure about Durham? They gave me an offer on the back of an access course. Although things may have changed since then.

I am 100% not sure. Just what I gather after a 2 minute search on UCAS.
Reply 8
This is my only option really to continue my education, doing an Access course (in Psychology) at City and Islington College...

I'd love to get to good universities such as Manchester, Durham, Bristol or KCL to do Psychology, or even Cambridge's Psychological and Behavioural Sciences degree. Can I really get into such places through an Access to Psychology course at City and Islington College? What challenges me in getting to such places?

With work, and hopefully sufficient teaching from CANDI College, can I get to good universities?

Cambridge is fine with it - but you will need distinctions.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/access-he-diploma

You will also have the new PBS Admissions Assessment prior to being called to interview (if you get invited) http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/psychological-and-behavioural-sciences
Original post by jneill
Cambridge is fine with it - but you will need distinctions.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/access-he-diploma

You will also have the new PBS Admissions Assessment prior to being called to interview (if you get invited) http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/psychological-and-behavioural-sciences

I'd double check with the college you're planning on applying to, I was told that the mature student colleges would not take part in the pre interview assessments.
Thanks. Well I intend to work very hard doing an Access to Psychology course and aim high doing it.

The thing is I had a bursary to go to a boy's private school and I didn't complete my A2s there, because of a collosal shitstorm of overwhelming over thinking, heh.

I just worry and speculate, because I am not that knowledgeable in this, that going to a lesser institution like a state FE College hinders my chances of getting into good universities like those you've got offers from. Or is it purely about qualifications and access to and the level of work done on those qualifications?

Do you know how universities judge candidates, if they're not given predicted grades (Access course students don't recieve them?) References, GCSE grades, and the personal statement?

I wouldn't worry too much about how they perceive your college, it's out of your control and at some universities it may boost your chances as for the university it shows that they're 'widening participation'. Good luck!
Reply 11
Original post by RunningBack34
I'd double check with the college you're planning on applying to, I was told that the mature student colleges would not take part in the pre interview assessments.

Yes that's correct! I should have made that clear. (I'm not the OP...)
Almost all of the people on your access course will be aiming to go to university (that's what it's designed for), on my course the teaching is sub-standard but in my opinion it's better preparation for university as it forces me to do more independent study. I promise you that as long as your personal statement and grades are strong you have a chance at all of the universities you listed above, I can send you examples of people who attended Cambridge after completing access courses if you'd like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending