The Student Room Group

Anyone self-teaching or self-taught A-level Biology?

Is there anyone who is currently self-teaching A-level Biology or has self-taught this subject in the past?

Scroll to see replies

Not by A level curriculum or anything of the sort, but I've done a LOT of reading on human biology over the last couple of years and have learned a lot about how the body works. I've mostly taken more of an interest in endocrinology/hormones as of late, though.
Original post by Philip-flop
Is there anyone who is currently self-teaching A-level Biology or has self-taught this subject in the past?

technically i have a teacher but half the time he dosent turn up, is never in the room and dosent teach us ****, just makes us read the textbook then if we have a question, read it again, and again and again and then if u still dont get it, go see him after school (i bet 10 quid he wouldnt be there one time and won, obviously) so i'm pretty sure i can say ive self taught myslef the course lol..

if you are thinking of doing it or something, go for it, exam dosent cost much and the content isn't hard (compared to physics anyway) but there is a lot to learn, just read textbook once, do summary questions, read revision guide once and do past papers and you sorted..
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,

I'm completing my A-level this year after sitting the AS last year. Self taught the AQA syllabus around a full-time job and a toddler. Are you intending to take it up? Feel free to PM me with any questions, happy to help.
Original post by maximo17000
technically i have a teacher but half the time he dosent turn up, is never in the room and dosent teach us ****, just makes us read the textbook then if we have a question, read it again, and again and again and then if u still dont get it, go see him after school (i bet 10 quid he wouldnt be there one time and won, obviously) so i'm pretty sure i can say ive self taught myslef the course lol..

if you are thinking of doing it or something, go for it, exam dosent cost much and the content isn't hard (compared to physics anyway) but there is a lot to learn, just read textbook once, do summary questions, read revision guide once and do past papers and you sorted..

Wow, what a waste of your time your teacher is!! Can I ask how you learned about the practicals? (I'm assuming your teacher was too lazy to go through them? I ask because as I'm self-taught I actually know nothing about the core practicals (Edexcel spec) :frown:

Oh wow, sounds like there are a lot of useless Biology teachers out there!! Did you cover all the core practicals with your teacher? I'm in desperate need of help about them as the endorsed text book I have doesn't even cover them :frown:
Original post by Gmadams1991
Hi,

I'm completing my A-level this year after sitting the AS last year. Self taught the AQA syllabus around a full-time job and a toddler. Are you intending to take it up? Feel free to PM me with any questions, happy to help.

My god!! You are so inspirational!! I'm studying towards the Edexcel AS-level Biology (new 2015 spec) which I have exams for as of next month but am panicking as I don't know much about the core practicals as I haven't covered them in the lab :frown:
How did you get on at AS-level btw? Any tips you can give me? Also does the AQA spec vary much in comparison to Edexcel?
Haha thanks! I was originally aiming for a C (which I got last year) as that's what entry requirements for university were but after interview I was told I only need to pass so safe to say the effort level is much lower this year!

My best advice would be get online and check the Edexcel syllabus.

Just googled and this link has info on the core practicals to give you an idea of what to expect:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/biology-a-2015/teaching-support/preparing-for-practical-work.html

This link gives you specific worksheets on the core practicals:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/demo/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/biology-a-2015.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FTeaching-and-learning-materials&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:biggrin:ocument-Type%2FWorksheet

If the second link doesn't work you can get to it using the first. Hopefully they will help. How are you studying, via a distance learning institution?

The best thing I would say you can do regarding your other exams is do every past paper you can get your hands on. Complete them under exam conditions then go through the mark scheme and mark harshly. Any answers you get wrong write out the correct answer in a different colour. Keep doing papers until you hit your grade. I did this religiously for one module and got an A, only did a couple of past papers for the other paper and got a D (go figure!).

Good luck!
Reply 6
I'm self teaching the A2 (AQA) after completing the AS in 2013 (at school).
I'm self teaching - I started at Christmas and taking the full exams this year! What's the worst that can happen!! Ha! This is after a 20 year break from studying so it's been quite a challenge. I've completed my first AQA T practical and doing my next practical on Friday. I fumbled my way through the first one. Just look into how to draw tables and graphs properly and revise the subject around the experiment. I don't think I did very well when compared to someone in full time education but well for a self taught oldie working full time who started at xmas!

All the best x
Wow, what a waste of your time your teacher is!! Can I ask how you learned about the practicals? (I'm assuming your teacher was too lazy to go through them? I ask because as I'm self-taught I actually know nothing about the core practicals (Edexcel spec) :frown:

Oh wow, sounds like there are a lot of useless Biology teachers out there!! Did you cover all the core practicals with your teacher? I'm in desperate need of help about them as the endorsed text book I have doesn't even cover them :frown:

My god!! You are so inspirational!! I'm studying towards the Edexcel AS-level Biology (new 2015 spec) which I have exams for as of next month but am panicking as I don't know much about the core practicals as I haven't covered them in the lab :frown:
How did you get on at AS-level btw? Any tips you can give me? Also does the AQA spec vary much in comparison to Edexcel?

to be honest i didn't know there were core practicals... im doing AQA so probs a bit different but we done most practicles i think
Original post by maximo17000
to be honest i didn't know there were core practicals... im doing AQA so probs a bit different but we done most practicles i think

I'm not sure about AQA but for Edexcel you can get asked questions about the practicals in which you have to think on the spot like a Biologist and answer the questions based on practicals you have covered. Is it similar to that on the AQA spec?
I'm not sure about AQA but for Edexcel you can get asked questions about the practicals in which you have to think on the spot like a Biologist and answer the questions based on practicals you have covered. Is it similar to that on the AQA spec?

For AQA you can get asked about thing's like the Biuret Test, the Emulsion test, the test for reducing sugars etc. Not sure if they count as core practicals. But we actually have two exams (one AS and one A2) that are practicals with accompanying papers that are examined internally.
Haha thanks! I was originally aiming for a C (which I got last year) as that's what entry requirements for university were but after interview I was told I only need to pass so safe to say the effort level is much lower this year!

My best advice would be get online and check the Edexcel syllabus.

Just googled and this link has info on the core practicals to give you an idea of what to expect:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/biology-a-2015/teaching-support/preparing-for-practical-work.html

This link gives you specific worksheets on the core practicals:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/demo/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/biology-a-2015.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FTeaching-and-learning-materials&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:biggrin:ocument-Type%2FWorksheet

If the second link doesn't work you can get to it using the first. Hopefully they will help. How are you studying, via a distance learning institution?

The best thing I would say you can do regarding your other exams is do every past paper you can get your hands on. Complete them under exam conditions then go through the mark scheme and mark harshly. Any answers you get wrong write out the correct answer in a different colour. Keep doing papers until you hit your grade. I did this religiously for one module and got an A, only did a couple of past papers for the other paper and got a D (go figure!).

Good luck!

Wow, well done you!! What are you hoping to study at University?
Does your TSR username correspond to your age btw? Cos I'm 23 and am hoping to apply to university next year as a mature student :smile:

Omg those links you sent me are exactly what I've been needing!! I didn't know they even existed on the Edexcel website! I could only find the specification!! :P Thank you soooooo much!!

I'm completely self-taught, I didn't go through a learning provider as most people I have heard from said it's really not necessary to spend all that money especially as there are some rubbish providers out there who overcharge for the help they actually give you! So I just entered myself in for exams at a school nearby to me and learnt straight from the textbook and have been watching loads of videos on YouTube to clear things up.

Yeah for the rest of my time up until my exams I'm going to be doing as many past papers as possible :biggrin:

Good luck to you too for A2 :smile:

Original post by loganley
I'm self teaching the A2 (AQA) after completing the AS in 2013 (at school).

Awesome!!! So you completed AS-level Bio whilst at school! That's incredible! What grade did you get?

Original post by WinterDawn
I'm self teaching - I started at Christmas and taking the full exams this year! What's the worst that can happen!! Ha! This is after a 20 year break from studying so it's been quite a challenge. I've completed my first AQA T practical and doing my next practical on Friday. I fumbled my way through the first one. Just look into how to draw tables and graphs properly and revise the subject around the experiment. I don't think I did very well when compared to someone in full time education but well for a self taught oldie working full time who started at xmas!

All the best x

What?!! AS and A2 in one sitting alongside a full-time job?!! That's incredible!! I wish you the best of luck!
I've got an offer at Teesside for Diagnostic Radiography. I'm really excited to get the exams over with and get there! Yeah to be honest I think skipping the learning provider is the best way. I've not had one and I've not heard many people have positive experiences with them.

Yeah it does, I'm 25 in August. What are you hoping to apply for?

You'll be absolutely fine with past papers and videos. Try searching for your specific exams on here too. I got lots of useful info from the various AQA thread on here.
I've got an offer at Teesside for Diagnostic Radiography. I'm really excited to get the exams over with and get there! Yeah to be honest I think skipping the learning provider is the best way. I've not had one and I've not heard many people have positive experiences with them.

Yeah it does, I'm 25 in August. What are you hoping to apply for?

You'll be absolutely fine with past papers and videos. Try searching for your specific exams on here too. I got lots of useful info from the various AQA thread on here.

Oh wow! That's brilliant! Yeah I'm 24 this November. But age is just a number!!
I'm hoping to do something health related too tbh, not quite sure what yet though. Will see what grade I get for Biology first :P

Awesome!!! So you completed AS-level Bio whilst at school! That's incredible! What grade did you get?

Yeah I did biology as one of my four ASs when I was in year 12. I got a B but I didn't work anywhere near as hard as I should have, bad attitude and I just didn't get along with my teacher which made me hate the subject. Dropped it for A2 to focus on my other subjects which was definitely the right decision at the time :smile: buut now I've decided I want to go to uni and the course I want to do requires it at A2. No harm in trying to self teach although some days I majorly regret it haha. I only need a C and I'm putting more effort into this than anything else ever in my whole life so fingers crossed!
I don't know anything about edexcel but I know that I wouldn't have been able to do AQA without my school letting me go into to sit the EMPA/practicals!
Original post by loganley
Yeah I did biology as one of my four ASs when I was in year 12. I got a B but I didn't work anywhere near as hard as I should have, bad attitude and I just didn't get along with my teacher which made me hate the subject. Dropped it for A2 to focus on my other subjects which was definitely the right decision at the time :smile: buut now I've decided I want to go to uni and the course I want to do requires it at A2. No harm in trying to self teach although some days I majorly regret it haha. I only need a C and I'm putting more effort into this than anything else ever in my whole life so fingers crossed!
I don't know anything about edexcel but I know that I wouldn't have been able to do AQA without my school letting me go into to sit the EMPA/practicals!

Wow your motivation towards Biology now is fantastic!! So you're completely self-teaching A2 of the A-level? Are you doing any of the practicals for A2?
Hi,

Hi there,

I was intending to take just the A2 version in June 2017 through self-studying to get some A-Levels under my belt, I know they've removed the practical part or something? How do you find A2 Biology?
Wow your motivation towards Biology now is fantastic!! So you're completely self-teaching A2 of the A-level? Are you doing any of the practicals for A2?

yeah finding the perfect uni course definitely gave me a huuuge motivation boost. starting to seriously stress about getting the grade now but it's certainly been an interesting experience :smile:
I've had to do 2 practicals (and the questions/statistival tests that come with them), just 3 exams to do now :smile:
Hi there, thinking of taking it up myself. How exactly did you self teach?
Original post by EMerritt99
Hi there, thinking of taking it up myself. How exactly did you self teach?

I read and take notes from an endorsed textbook (the ones that colleges are usually provided with), watch YouTube and KhanAcademy videos to help learn confusing processes, then revise from my notes and the CGP revision guide, and attempt some exam style questions along the way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending