The Student Room Group

Need advice urgent!!!

So ive got an unconditional offer from city university to study law for this september this would be the third time ive gone uni but i didnt state that in my personal statement obviously because then i wouldnt get a place but now it just so happens that when i was doing my fee assessment yesterday i told them during this period i was on holiday for three years to match the story with my personal statement now their telling me because i spent three years in africa im going to be classified as an international student and therefor have my tuition fee price raised from 9k to 13.5k and im struggling for money as it is.....what do i do?
You don't go on holiday for 3 years. So they're right to class you as an international student because according to them that was 3 years you weren't residing in England. You can either tell them the truth and risk losing your place or pay the higher fees?

Realistically what were you expecting to come from this?..
Reply 2
Must say, I don't have any sympathy. You attempted to cheat your way into uni and the lie backfired. Tough.

Frankly if you can't work out the consequences of telling a uni you've been abroad for three years and you've already flunked out twice, you may need to admit that you're not really cut out for higher education.
Reply 3
What would you have done? I know i shouldnt have been in this position in the first place so i take blame for that but that was my stupid past life should we all be punished for our past life and not give second chances (even though i was at two unis but all of that came under one stupid person) and also would you have told the truth and not risk getting a place in any uni or would you come up with a better excuse (probably better than mine) its very easy to point the finger unless you experience the problem
Original post by Abzdinho
What would you have done? I know i shouldnt have been in this position in the first place so i take blame for that but that was my stupid past life should we all be punished for our past life and not give second chances (even though i was at two unis but all of that came under one stupid person) and also would you have told the truth and not risk getting a place in any uni or would you come up with a better excuse (probably better than mine) its very easy to point the finger unless you experience the problem

I would've been honest in my personal statement and explained the situation that the unis I went to just weren't for me. You did have a second chance though. Uni's are more accepting if you're honest. My boyfriend for example got DDF at his A-Levels and now he's almost finished his first year at University. He was honest from the start about his grades and admitted that he made a mistake..

I guess like I said your only option is to admit that you lied to them or cough up the higher fees. It's only gonna cause more problems if you go through student finance as a home student.

You tried to cheat the system. It didn't work.
Reply 5
I don't understand why you lied about being on holiday for three years in your PS anyway? I'm starting uni for the second time in September and didn't mention that I'd dropped out of uni once before in my PS at all. It didn't seem at all relevant. I was honest about it with SFE obviously, but there's no reason to talk about it in your PS or even mention it unless asked? You essentially lied to the company you expect to pay your bills for the next few years, what do you expect?

Did you lie because you're worried that you wouldn't get the full three years of finance if you disclosed that you've dropped out twice before? I'm pretty sure dropping out twice before only qualifies you for two years finance of a three year course, right?
Lol this is hilarious. Serves you right for being a liar. Always a good start to a legal career.

its very easy to point the finger unless you experience the problem

Not really you dont lie, knowing that you are denying another person a place. If they find out they could easily kick you off the course.

Presumably its an LLM?
Once you turn up and City send records off to reconcile with ucas and hesa your previous study will be identified and your application will be revealed as fraudulent.

I've known people kicked off their course in their second year because their application was fraudulent. If you don't come clean you won't ever be able to relax and be sure you've got away with it. Especially if you want to be a lawyer- who will employ a lawyer who is a fraud?

Universities don't generally give a **** about past attempts at university - what they don't appreciate is people lying to get a place. Liars don't make good students and they don't make good graduates and ambassadors.

Admit IN FULL what you've lied about and hope they have sympathy. Your alternatives are just delaying the inevitable - previous study WILL be picked up on sooner or later.
@Cityunilondon would you be able to help the OP?

So ive got an unconditional offer from city university to study law for this september this would be the third time ive gone uni but i didnt state that in my personal statement obviously because then i wouldnt get a place but now it just so happens that when i was doing my fee assessment yesterday i told them during this period i was on holiday for three years to match the story with my personal statement now their telling me because i spent three years in africa im going to be classified as an international student and therefor have my tuition fee price raised from 9k to 13.5k and im struggling for money as it is.....what do i do?
Reply 9
Im not talking about student finance they know my situation and got all my info on record so i have no option to lie or not lie to them. But with city uni because i had no prior contact with them i thought my plan would be to not mention i attended my previous unis to put me in a stronger position of getting a place and just say during that period i could create a cover story that i was abroad on holiday for 3 years. Then they city uni sent me a fee assessment form to fill out and because i did not foresee that if i matched my holiday story with my personal statement i.e. i was on holiday for three years it would have no repercussions but clearly it did. I probably deserve what will happen but i didnt know what else to do
Reply 10
Ok i was wrong i shouldnt have lied and i will come clean to them tommorrow i was just desperate for a place at uni and making amends for my past life
So what did happen in those 3 years?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I went two two unis in the space of 3 years doing different courses
so is this an LLB or an LLM? Dod you bail on those courses or did you complete a degree by transfer?
Reply 14

I ought to point out that it wouldn't take a member of City Uni Admissions staff too much effort to work out exactly who you are from the details you give on this thread, and get your offer withdrawn anyway. Uni staff do watch TSR. I strongly advise that you ask a Mod to delete this thread as soon as possible.
Reply 15
Thanks bro but i decided to tell the truth and learnt a powerful lesson to be honest always
Have they withdrawn your place or let you through? I cant see how they have any choice.
Reply 17
I know im expecting the worst its what deserve so im just waiting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending