The Student Room Group

Most Overrated and Underrated Musicians

Scroll to see replies

Underrated:
Fiestar
Original post by godofwine
Most overrated band are The Beatles - They're like the One Direction of the 60s.

Most underrated would have to be Nirvana.

Why do you feel like Nirvana are underrated? They are extremely popular and a legendary 90s band. If anything they're overrated.
Reply 62
Denzel Curry is massively underrated, OG, florida west coast rapper that's making a name of himself with raw rap, not the tamed down sh*t comin out nowadays
Reply 63
Most overrated band are The Beatles - They're like the One Direction of the 60s.

Nirvana are a sell out, their name is a fashion label nowadays smh
Original post by ULT
Denzel Curry is massively underrated, OG, florida west coast rapper that's making a name of himself with raw rap, not the tamed down sh*t comin out nowadays

> Florida
>west coast

You gotta pick one mane
Reply 65
Original post by Dopeshhonly
> Florida
>west coast

You gotta pick one mane

Gotta be florida then

One of the best west coast rappers too tho
Reply 66

Have One Direction ever wrote anything worth remembering e.g Eleanor Rigby, A Day In The Life, Strawberry Fields, While My Guitar Gently Weeps

You must be trolling if you can't recognise how the Beatles transformed their music over eight years
overrated- justin beiber
underrated- shania twain

Well I'll be damned. I picked a wrong example that's all! How about I replace my example with "We Are The World"?

...Since it has 2 songwriters you might object, so I'll replace that with They Don't really care about us and Earth Song

My point is he is a well distinguished songwriter.
Original post by TaintedLight
Well I'll be damned. I picked a wrong example that's all! How about I replace my example with "We Are The World"?

...Since it has 2 songwriters you might object, so I'll replace that with They Don't really care about us and Earth Song

My point is he is a well distinguished songwriter.

He was a well distinguished performer.

The reality is that pretty much all of his critically acclaimed material was written by other people. Those two songs were written in the 90s, MJ was way past it by then. It's odd how such a great songwriter couldn't write the majority of his best material. Did he write some songs - sure. But the fact that he happened to write some songs is not all that impressive. And even if it was his music was pap anyway.

He was a great performer and a pop star, but not a great songwriter, and he is overrated as a musician. The emphasis was all on the spectacle.
Original post by Wilfred Little
He was a well distinguished performer.

The reality is that pretty much all of his critically acclaimed material was written by other people. Those two songs were written in the 90s, MJ was way past it by then. It's odd how such a great songwriter couldn't write the majority of his best material. Did he write some songs - sure. But the fact that he happened to write some songs is not all that impressive. And even if it was his music was pap anyway.

He was a great performer and a pop star, but not a great songwriter, and he is overrated as a musician. The emphasis was all on the spectacle.

So hat is your definition for "critically acclaimed" material
So hat is your definition for "critically acclaimed" material

I was referring to his albums that are most highly regarded by critics. OTW, Thriller & Bad, those are considered to be his strongest records.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I was referring to his albums that are most highly regarded by critics. OTW, Thriller & Bad, those are considered to be his strongest records.

> Wanna be Startin' Something

> Black or white

Self written, even though you didn't define it, I would say those two were critically acclaimed. Sure it doesn't outweigh the success of Thriller or Beat it... (oh wait :biggrin:)

Also Musician encompasses more than just songwriting
> Wanna be Startin' Something

> Black or white

Self written, even though you didn't define it, I would say those two were critically acclaimed. Sure it doesn't outweigh the success of Thriller or Beat it... (oh wait :biggrin:)

Also Musician encompasses more than just songwriting

I would like to know why you feel MJ isn't overrated as a musician.

Quick Reply

Latest