The Student Room Group

Are there good extremists?

Like people who go skydiving and base-jumping.

Is extremism just the same as being an adrenaline junkie?

But then ofc violent extremist must include the harming of other people as a source of the adrenaline.

Is someone an cyber violent extremist if they watch gore online?

I have many more questions.
Original post by The_Last_Melon

But then ofc violent extremist must include the harming of other people as a source of the adrenaline.

Extrmely honest, extremely kind?
Original post by SuperHuman98
Extremely honest, extremely kind?

that's not good, that's annoying.
Reply 3

Depends how you define an extremist. People may class me as an extremist for praying 5 times a day, others might say that's just part of being a Muslim and it's what Muslims have to do to try and be a good Muslim.
Extremely charitable people
Extremely tolerant people
Extremely kind people
Extremely diverse people
Extremely anti-fascist people
Extremely happy people
Extremely multicultural people
Extremely liberal people
Extremely wise people
Extremely peaceful people
Original post by TJM_786
Depends how you define an extremist. People may class me as an extremist for praying 5 times a day, others might say that's just part of being a Muslim and it's what Muslims have to do to try and be a good Muslim.

Praying 5 times a day is extreme? lol
Reply 6
Original post by Multiculturalism
Praying 5 times a day is extreme? lol

Lol well my college tends to think so, they won't let us pray in college!
Original post by TJM_786
Lol well my college tends to think so, they won't let us pray in college!

Is that legal?
Extremely charitable people => leave people unable to do things for themselves
Extremely tolerant people => allow terrible things to happen
Extremely kind people ==> invade people's personal space and lives
Extremely diverse people ==> How can a person be diverse?
Extremely anti-fascist people ==> could still be murderers
Extremely happy people ==> could still be murderers
Extremely multicultural people ==> could still be murderers
Extremely liberal people ==> could still be murderers
Extremely wise people ==> could still be murderers
Extremely peaceful people ==> unable to deal with danger and violence because of their pacifism

You're trivialising an important issue (<==== this is a summary of 99.9% of responses on TSR).

Extremism implies that they are is taking it too far. We have to dissect what really constitutes extremism objectively if we are to answer my question. I believe it is the human opioid glands that are responsible.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Is that legal?

Well they're an academy and independent of the public sector, so they can do as they please.
Extremely charitable people
Extremely tolerant people
Extremely kind people
Extremely diverse people
Extremely anti-fascist people
Extremely happy people
Extremely multicultural people
Extremely liberal people
Extremely wise people
Extremely peaceful people

Extremely anti-fascist people and extremely multicultural people?

Have you ever seen what the anti-fascist brigades are doing?

No. One is conventionally a source of ideology the other is a biological function. Seeking elation from biological reactions is not similar to having a set of ideas outside and inherently different to the majority of the world, area, country, realm, geographical location which you inhabit. Fighting causes adrenaline, this has nothing to do with the definition of extremist. A slave fighting for ISIS because they forced them to who is the least extreme person in existence will still get adrenaline the same as the fighters with the most extreme views, a survival mechanism is not directly related to how we experience the world and what we extrapolate from these experiences.

Cyber violent extremist? I'm not really sure what thats supposed to mean tbh. Simply watching gore isnt extreme, the gore may be extreme but that doesnt make the act one of extremism - unless you're getting theoretically philosophical with me in which case the two words are outright different and non-comparable. To be extreme is to be atypical, exceptional and at the furthest boundary to which it can be pushed (or near enough to be recognised as such). Colloquially it is used to express approval. In terms of extremist, it is used to express atypical ideology.
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
No. One is conventionally a source of ideology the other is a biological function. Seeking elation from biological reactions is not similar to having a set of ideas outside and inherently different to the majority of the world, area, country, realm, geographical location which you inhabit. Fighting causes adrenaline, this has nothing to do with the definition of extremist. A slave fighting for ISIS because they forced them to who is the least extreme person in existence will still get adrenaline the same as the fighters with the most extreme views, a survival mechanism is not directly related to how we experience the world and what we extrapolate from these experiences.

Yes but the mechanism may be the basis of their behaviour.

Cyber violent extremist? I'm not really sure what thats supposed to mean tbh. Simply watching gore isnt extreme, the gore may be extreme but that doesnt make the act one of extremism - unless you're getting theoretically philosophical with me in which case the two words are outright different and non-comparable. To be extreme is to be atypical, exceptional and at the furthest boundary to which it can be pushed (or near enough to be recognised as such). Colloquially it is used to express approval. In terms of extremist, it is used to express atypical ideology.

The term is coined based on the fact that a website earns revenue from its visitors, and thus the viewer can be argued to be supporting the violent behaviour.
Yes but the mechanism may be the basis of their behaviour.

The term is coined based on the fact that a website earns revenue from its visitors, and thus the viewer can be argued to be supporting the violent behaviour.

But if that were the case then why would they exercise extremist ideology? It doesnt meld as the two arent symbiotic. You can have the extreme nature of behaviour without the extreme thought, it doesnt make sense to say one inherently influences the other as the obiter then is skydivers=isis which is patently nonsense.

Interesting, I'd never heard it before. Of course they are supporting it, they're paying for it, none of this relates to the original question though.
Original post by TJM_786
Well they're an academy and independent of the public sector, so they can do as they please.

No, the law still applies to them. How is it legal to prevent someone from praying??

Original post by TercioOfParma
Extremely anti-fascist people and extremely multicultural people?

Have you ever seen what the anti-fascist brigades are doing?

Have you seen what the fascist brigade would do if it weren't for the anti-fascists keeping them in check?
No, the law still applies to them. How is it legal to prevent someone from praying??

Have you seen what the fascist brigade would do if it weren't for the anti-fascists keeping them in check?

The SA were actually somehow less violent than the current anti fas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending