The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Guys you know for question 3a) about the 15 points, my teacher said they should be in your own words even though it clearly states on the paper DO NOT NEED TO BE IN YOUR OWN WORDS. Is it true?

Thanks!!
Original post by 11lmizo
Guys you know for question 3a) about the 15 points, my teacher said they should be in your own words even though it clearly states on the paper DO NOT NEED TO BE IN YOUR OWN WORDS. Is it true?

Thanks!!

Nope thats not true. The paper states itself that it doesn't need to be in your own words. Its part 3b that needs to be in your own words.
However for part 3a I still write it in my own words because it makes part 3b so much easier to write :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by monkeyboy18000
Can someone tell me how the grade boundaries work with the Cambridge igcse? The grade thresholds on the website doesn't make sense to me whatsoever as it states that the whole course is out of 125 marks but surely it's out of 130 marks (50 from exam, 30 from speaking and listening, 40 from coursework + 10 for reading). I know I am obviously going wrong somewhere. Also, roughly how many marks would I need to get in the exam to get an A overall? My speaking and listening is 28, coursework average mark is 38 + 8 for reading.

Your mark for S&L is multiplied by 5/6 to make it out of 25 marks, so 28/30 would be 23.3'/25. I don't know if they round it up/ down depending on the decimal or they just leave it like that
I asked my teacher and I need 31 marks in the exams for an A. Can anybody tell me how much I would then need for an A*?
Original post by 11lmizo

Thanks!!

Part a shouldn't be in your own words but part b should. Just follow he instructions on the paper
Original post by Anmol_.
I asked my teacher and I need 31 marks in the exams for an A. Can anybody tell me how much I would then need for an A*?

Grade boundaries last year show that you need around 106 for an A* out of 125. Im not sure what you need for an A but I think that you'd probs need around 40/50 marks to get an A* overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
With coursework, if they see that you've been marked harshly will they increase your marks? Or will they just leave it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
What is everyone doing to revise for the english language exam?
Reply 68
Original post by DamnDaniel2
With coursework, if they see that you've been marked harshly will they increase your marks? Or will they just leave it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am not 100% sure tbh. In my school the teachers are moderating our coursework and i think at the end of the week the marks get sent.
Original post by ibte10
I am not 100% sure tbh. In my school the teachers are moderating our coursework and i think at the end of the week the marks get sent.

Our one got sent 2 days ago! Argh I am so annoyed because I know its been harked very harshly and unfairly. I have my speaking and listening on Tuesday so hopefully I can do really well on that :smile: if not then I literally need 50/50 in my exam to get an A* lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ibte10
Hello guys! I have decided to create a thread dedicated to this examination as we are only 20 days away!

60% of this exam will be banked without even starting the exam- three pieces of coursework and speaking and listening. The other 40% is the exam.

There are three questions in this exam: Question 1(20 marks), Question 2(10 marks) and Question 3(20 marks).

How are you guys feeling? If anybody needs help, feel free to post. Discuss anything related to the exam and share ideas in this thread.

Here is a link to Past papers
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzumkDfi9230Tl9iSl9JT1E5V0E&usp=drive_web

Advice on how to answer each question
https://sites.google.com/a/grange.cl...age-paper-tips
Credit goes to @metellaest for providing this resource.

If anybody has any useful websites, then feel free to message me and i will add them to the OP. Also it would be very appreciated if anybody has a link to the grade boundaries for each year.

Thanks and good luck!

Maximum is A on this paper isn't it? You can't get an A* can you?
Original post by FaithKG
What is everyone doing to revise for the english language exam?

Past papers
Whats the grade boundraries number to get A*
Original post by ellamoon_22
Whats the grade boundraries number to get A*

106/125 I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Just an update everybody. Would you guys like a guide on how to answer each question? I can compile it but it depends on interest.
Original post by ibte10
Just an update everybody. Would you guys like a guide on how to answer each question? I can compile it but it depends on interest.

That would be extremely helpful! Im interested :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Original post by DamnDaniel2
That would be extremely helpful! Im interested :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will consider it then.
Original post by ibte10

Yes that be good only small time till exam:h:
Reply 78
Original post by ellamoon_22
Yes that be good only small time till exam:h:

Ok i will probably release it tomorrow or Friday. I am planning to cover each question and try to provide model answers.
its a lot easier than you expect!
i assumed i had failed, ended up with an A*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending