The Student Room Group

Dropping French Pre-U?

So at the moment, I'm in year 12 taking history, french and philosophy pre-u, politics a-level and the EPQ. My main problem is that i hate french and am really quite awful at it. I feel like i could improve within a year but also that I don't want to spend so much time on a subject that i don't really care about and that i don't want to do at uni. My dilemma is that I'm worried this might hurt my uni/job prospects since i believe a language is quite a good skill to have. this whole ordeal is really confusing me so any help would be much appreciated, thank you!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Doodaa123
So at the moment, I'm in year 12 taking history, french and philosophy pre-u, politics a-level and the EPQ. My main problem is that i hate french and am really quite awful at it. I feel like i could improve within a year but also that I don't want to spend so much time on a subject that i don't really care about and that i don't want to do at uni. My dilemma is that I'm worried this might hurt my uni/job prospects since i believe a language is quite a good skill to have. this whole ordeal is really confusing me so any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Hey, I do French Pre-U (had my first exam for it today actually!), and it is definitely possible to improve drastically within a year, but you're right- it takes a fair bit of time. The main reason that I spent so much time on French in my first year is possibly because I was so bad at it to start with, but it also depends on your teacher and the sort of school you go to- if most people end up with the top grades, then perhaps there's less to worry about? It will definitely not hurt your uni/job prospects to not have a language a-level though, this shouldn't be the reason for keeping it. You can always pick up the language again or continue to learn it without formal assessment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending