The Student Room Group

At what price is a house considered 'expensive' in Britain?

Scroll to see replies

I'd say more than £1500000 would be expensive in Zone 1/2/3 , but anything above £700000 would be expensive in Zone 4 and anything above £550000 would be expensive in Zone 5 or somewhere outside London.
Original post by RivalPlayer
You have to be crazy to pay the ridiculous prices for a home in London.

High levels of pollution hemmed in by ugly "luxury" apartment blocks, overcrowded, large 3rd world and EU immigrant communities, stabbings every other day, unfriendly fragmented atmosphere and oversubscribed schools full of kids who don't speak English properly.

I have no idea why anyone would take out a half million quid mortgage to setup home and have a family in London.

Well you're paying for the location (and it depends where in London, not all areas are bad), which is by far the best place to live in the UK for opportunities. You're basically sorted if you can live there.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
I'd say more than £1500000 would be expensive in Zone 1/2/3 , but anything above £700000 would be expensive in Zone 4 and anything above £550000 would be expensive in Zone 5 or somewhere outside London.

If you're speaking in relative terms, £1.5m for zone one isn't that expensive, it's fairly standard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
In Bristol, I'd say around 400k+ is enough to be considered an expensive house. In Zone 3 London, probably around the million mark. I define expensive as Unaffordable for most people.
Original post by thefatone
which 1 mess voted 10million huh? >.>

There's always someone
Original post by MaskOfKeaton
There's always someone

now there's 2 xD
and someone else voted above 2 million :colonhash:
now there's 2 xD

2 million is like a par price for a house! :biggrin:
now there's 2 xD

Lol. It would be interesting to know what their parents do for a living to make that kind of money (EDIT: unless most of it is inheritance, I'm guessing it is :rolleyes:).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MaskOfKeaton
Lol. It would be interesting to know what their parents do for a living to make that kind of money.

yea ikr? i wish i was that rich...
yea ikr? i wish i was that rich...

I'm not sure. I think being very rich can mess your head up a bit.

2 million is probably just about at the upper end of the middle-class spectrum for people who live in central London. A lot of it is not money that's been earned, more acquired through pot luck of happening to live in an area which has had the most obscene house price increase in the country.
(edited 7 years ago)
Who is making all the money from everyone paying rent... and how many of them are there? Are they people? Or companies?
Original post by Maidenhair
Who is making all the money from everyone paying rent... and how many of them are there? Are they people? Or companies?

People

Posted from TSR Mobile
You cannot just classify a house as 'expensive' or 'not expensive.' It depends on too many factors and 'expensive' or 'not expensive,' is relative to market value and many other factors...

On the most basic level, if a Londoner answers your poll they will likely put £500k+ whereas somebody from far north might put £250k+...
Original post by Maidenhair

Both

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest