The Student Room Group

Boyfriends in sixth form?

Is it common for people to go out with eachother in sixth form? been in an all girls school and just wondering what it's like. Does everyone mostly focus on their work or is it quite eventful for you guys?
Original post by gro
Is it common for people to go out with eachother in sixth form? been in an all girls school and just wondering what it's like. Does everyone mostly focus on their work or is it quite eventful for you guys?

It really depends on the person, I'm in lower sixth form and I know a lot of people who are in relationships including myself and my boyfriend who are coming up to 6 months together. However, there are some who like to focus more on school work like my other friends, some of which have never been in a relationship. It really doesn't matter if you do or you don't but I guess when you get to the end of sixth form it may be a bit harder to maintain the relationship as everyone starts being accepted to different universities and couples may choose to split up and carry on their lives together if they know they are unlikely to see each other when they go to university.
if you're suggesting that a large number of people start dating just because they have joined sixth form and in a mixed environment, this is not the case. However, more relationships do tend to form because ... well males and female are around each other and experience each others company etc leading to emotions of many kinds.

So yes, it's not odd to have a boyf at sixth form, completely normal, but there are many people that don't.

At my school, people mostly focus on their work because that's what school is for, however outside of lessons it can be quite eventful. We just know how to separate the two.

Spoiler

It happened when I was in the sixth form, apart from those like myself who went out with young women from the local girl's school.
I have a boyfriend (I'm in L6). I think as long as you know to prioritise work then it's fine. I tend to do it by not seeing him during the week but calling him as I'm walking home, or working all day Saturday, go round to his for dinner (vice versa) and stay over come home early Sunday morning.

I think having a bf in 6th form is fine as long as you can keep a balance between the two!

(Just for extra info, I also go to an all girls!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gro

Personally, its not worth maintaining a relationship at 6th form due to
1) you grow and change as a person so much in you're late teens/early 20s.
2) you're only at 6th form for 2 years and after which you're probably
going to go to other universities separate to the one your bf/gf is going +
maintaining a relationship where the partner is at another university is
a lot harder to maintain & high likely you'll break up somewhere along your course.

from my experience, never had a boyfriend in sixth form but others have. Kissing/snogging in the common room whilst everyone is trying to revise is SOOO AWKWARD and uncomfortable. And then when the couple break up - news spreads like fire, and people chat **** about your little relationship. (personally find it so funny)

If you are planning to have a bf/gf in sixth from keep it low key.
In my sixth form, it seems that there was A LOT less couples at sixth form in comparison to secondary school. In secondary school is seemed as if everyone went out with everyone.:toofunny:(Excluding me of course)
Original post by samina_ay
from my experience, never had a boyfriend in sixth form but others have. Kissing/snogging in the common room whilst everyone is trying to revise is SOOO AWKWARD and uncomfortable. And then when the couple break up - news spreads like fire, and people chat **** about your little relationship. (personally find it so funny)

If you are planning to have a bf/gf in sixth from keep it low key.

A girl at my school was snogging her boyfriend in the study area and the teacher was right there lmao.
I was thinking wtf do you think you are doing?:toofunny:
Original post by loveleest
A girl at my school was snogging her boyfriend in the study area and the teacher was right there lmao.
I was thinking wtf do you think you are doing?:toofunny:

I know right, especially when they hold hands in the hallways - omg
Do it for the experience. It might not matter in 5 years but when you actually meet someone you like you'll have more relationship maturity going through this stage than you would if you didn't.
Reply 11
Thats interesting, thanks guys!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending