The Student Room Group

M2 can someone explain resolving forces to me?

So I understand resolving forces when they are all on the one line but how do you resolve when the point you take moments about is not on the line?

Questions like this, where you take moments about P, could someone please explain it to me?
moment.jpg
Any help is greatly appreciated
(edited 7 years ago)
*cough*
moments.png
This is the Physics and Maths tutor solution but I don't know where they got the numbers from
Original post by Music With Rocks
moments.png
This is the Physics and Maths tutor solution but I don't know where they got the numbers from

i'm not sure either >.>

@Zacken
Reply 4
So I understand resolving forces when they are all on the one line but how do you resolve when the point you take moments about is not on the line?

Questions like this, where you take moments about P, could someone please explain it to me?
moment.jpg
Any help is greatly appreciated

Maybe try drawing the rod horizontal like it would be in m1, then it'll be easier to see.
Original post by BBeyond
Maybe try drawing the rod horizontal like it would be in m1, then it'll be easier to see.

Sorry not quite sure what you mean? I drew it like this

moment 2.jpg
Reply 6
Sorry not quite sure what you mean? I drew it like this

moment 2.jpg

Try turning your page so your dotted line which I assume is a rod or something is horizontal, then you want the vertical components.
Original post by BBeyond
Try turning your page so your dotted line which I assume is a rod or something is horizontal, then you want the vertical components.

Would that work? The question asks you to take moments about P? (the point in the bottom right corner)
Reply 8
Would that work? The question asks you to take moments about P? (the point in the bottom right corner)

Soz I'm awful at explaining things ahaha I'll leave it to someone else
Original post by BBeyond
Soz I'm awful at explaining things ahaha I'll leave it to someone else

Fair enough, thank you for trying anyway
So I think I have found a way to get the two outer components by using trig to get the lengths then multiplying by the force. I end up with
3*4sin35
5*4sin55

but still unsure of how to get the moment of the middle 5N component?
Reply 11
So I think I have found a way to get the two outer components by using trig to get the lengths then multiplying by the force. I end up with
3*4sin35
5*4sin55
but still unsure of how to get the moment of the middle 5N component?

You should resolve the distances rather than the force. Remember that torque = force x perpendicular distance from the pivot. Find the perpendicular distance from the point P to the line of action of each force using right angled trigonometry.
Original post by Ayman!
You should resolve the distances rather than the force. Remember that torque = force x perpendicular distance from the pivot. Find the perpendicular distance from the point P to the line of action of each force using right angled trigonometry.

I think that is what I did? but I am not entirely sure haha

I drew the lines to the forces (perpendicular distance) then used trig to get the lengths of 4sin35 & 4sin55, although (and I may just be thick) I can't seem to find the length for the middle force?
Reply 13
I think that is what I did? but I am not entirely sure haha

I drew the lines to the forces (perpendicular distance) then used trig to get the lengths of 4sin35 & 4sin55, although (and I may just be thick) I can't seem to find the length for the middle force?

You've 2/3rd of the work done then :borat:

Extend the line of action of the 5 N force like I've done in the diagram (the white dotted line):

Diagram

The red line is the perpendicular distance from the pivot P to the line of action of 5 N.
Original post by Ayman!
You've 2/3rd of the work done then :borat:

Extend the line of action of the 5 N force like I've done in the diagram (the white dotted line):

Diagram

The red line is the perpendicular distance from the pivot P to the line of action of 5 N.

I was using completely the wrong technique, this has cleared everything up!

THANK YOU SO MUCH

I have been struggling with this for the entire day, you are an absolute life saver, thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by Ayman!

Dem paint skillz. :adore:
Reply 16
I was using completely the wrong technique, this has cleared everything up!

THANK YOU SO MUCH

I have been struggling with this for the entire day, you are an absolute life saver, thank you! :biggrin:

No worries! Once you see it, it can't be unseen :ninja:

Original post by Zacken
Dem paint skillz. :adore:

The funniest part is that I don't even have paint on my computer :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest