The Student Room Group

How does a guy (who is not good looking) get a girlfriend?

Cancelled
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I hate to sound like a broken record but 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. Even though you might not think you're good looking some girls actually might. As a girl usually the most attractive quality in a guy is their confidence. I've fancied guys in the past who aren't conventionally good looking but just have so much confidence. I think you need to work on overcoming your shyness, I know it's easier said than done because I'm shy too.

If you like a girl don't become weird, try and approach her as a friend first, that way you'll be comfortable talking about normal topics and you could get to know her. It's good you know not to grope a girl and that you're thinking respectfully, girls who let themselves be groped by guys and enjoy it aren't exactly girlfriend material anyway.
Get her drunk.
Be rich
Original post by aarora
I hate to sound like a broken record but 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. Even though you might not think you're good looking some girls actually might. As a girl usually the most attractive quality in a guy is their confidence. I've fancied guys in the past who aren't conventionally good looking but just have so much confidence. I think you need to work on overcoming your shyness, I know it's easier said than done because I'm shy too.

If you like a girl don't become weird, try and approach her as a friend first, that way you'll be comfortable talking about normal topics and you could get to know her. It's good you know not to grope a girl and that you're thinking respectfully, girls who let themselves be groped by guys and enjoy it aren't exactly girlfriend material anyway.

I doubt it. I get called ugly which doesnt help my confidence.
I thought it was tbh. I managed to go and speak to my last crush in person for the first time. I had to to up to her and say hi. It was super hard for me but she was nice and it was a huge confidence booster. She ignored me the next week so it didnt end well.
Im trying to work on it and that has defo helped.

I do approach her as a friend first! I dont act creepy or anything. I pay attention to what shes saying, ask her questions on the things she likes and try to keep the convo going. I make eye contact with her and dont look at her in an inapproriate way.
Yeah i dont get why they enjoy it tbh. But as you said, theyre not girlfriend material.
Ive always respected people and would never force my girlfriend to do anything she doesnt want to (unlike many other guys).
Thanks
They don't. Wear some better clothes and scent / quit talking like a chav and just have a personality rather than being someone's doormat and you'll do much better though.
Get yoo money upppp boy.
Reply 7
Get a fat one bare bevved, easy xp
Confidence is key
Having a good sense of humour works too.
Reply 9
Get plastic surgery?
Nice guys don't even think about being horrible to women, you're likely just a quiet timid dork who blames the world instead of accepting responsibility, if all you have to offer is basic human decency then why would she be interested in you? At least the other guys provide some excitement / challenge.
- Maybe you're being too nice.
- Maybe your standards are too high.
- You're only 18, its still fairly early. High school kids are notoriously shallow and judgmental anyway.
Original post by FireFreezer77
I guess i have to be an ******* towards them to get them to like me. Thats what it seems like.

This is where you're going wrong...everyone likes nice people. Quit labelling the other guys that get girls as a**holes and quit blaming not getting girls on you being 'too nice'....
Original post by Eternalflames
Confidence is key
Having a good sense of humour works too.

This x10000, they can probably sense a degree of nervousness.

I'm not good looking, it's the humor which gets me through.
Im 18 and have never had a giel be even remotely interested in me!
It gets me down that everyone seems to have a girl under their arm yet no girl will go near me :frown:

Everytime i spoke to a girl ive had a crush on, i always seem to repel them. It hurts me that they will then go and choose a guy who isnt nice to them! Im not good looking but i try my best to look as good as i can. But it also seems that my personality isnt vey attractive.
Im really quiet and dont have too much confidence but im trying to overcome that.
Im nice to everyone (its rarely returned to me)
I guess i have to be an ******* towards them to get them to like me. Thats what it seems like. All the girls in my area let guys grope them all the time and they enjoy it!! But if i did that id be beaten up big time! I dont want to do that because i respect people!

What does a nice guy have to do???
Thanks.
Please use the search function before boring us all to death with the same thread that's been posted every other day for the last decade.

Quick answer: you'll grow out of being ignored. Just shut up and put up and stop being a whiney little boy.

Not-so-quick answer:

The girls you're showing interest in are the wrong girls, just like the men they are interested in are the wrong men.

Those same women won't grow out of their bad taste until they're in their twenties. Which means you either go with an older woman or you wait.

You don't sound ready for a relationship. Guys who are into this whole 'I'm a nice guy' mentality are just waiting to be shafted, and believe me it will happen. So stop concentrating on being a nice guy and just be yourself.

You haven't matured into yourself yet. You're a teenage version of the adult you'll be in a few years, and you haven't found the right balance in your personality, which is the opposite of attractive to girls and women of all ages.

You're probably being overwhelmingly obvious in your attempts to communicate with girls, and thus coming across as desperate. Not good. Slowly slowly, catch ye monkey.

Reply 15
Im 18 and have never had a giel be even remotely interested in me!
It gets me down that everyone seems to have a girl under their arm yet no girl will go near me :frown:

Everytime i spoke to a girl ive had a crush on, i always seem to repel them. It hurts me that they will then go and choose a guy who isnt nice to them! Im not good looking but i try my best to look as good as i can. But it also seems that my personality isnt vey attractive.
Im really quiet and dont have too much confidence but im trying to overcome that.
Im nice to everyone (its rarely returned to me)
I guess i have to be an ******* towards them to get them to like me. Thats what it seems like. All the girls in my area let guys grope them all the time and they enjoy it!! But if i did that id be beaten up big time! I dont want to do that because i respect people!

What does a nice guy have to do???
Thanks.

first of all stop calling urself a nice guy thas cringe af

also second yh if u are boring af like me and have no redeeming qualities just grow a beard (someones bound to like it) and/or fake a SICK personality and once u reeled them in they'll be like 'SICK RUSE' and might leave u but if they feel sorry for u they might stay with u

Spoiler

Nationwide do great ISAS and Savings Account, get in there early :smile:
you can't be nice and ugly.
niceness is only cute on cute boys, sorry for the truth.

develop a more banterous personality.
You need self confidence, you say you have low confidence and it probably shows. Also being super nice is boring, don't be a prick but just be more laid back and have some banter (god I hate that word). Also you're 18, your luck will definitely change once you leave school.

Beard helps too (especially with Asian girls) :innocent:
Reply 19
Original post by zanner

also second yh if u are boring af like me and have no redeeming qualities just grow a beard (someones bound to like it)

Original post by Lord Samosa

Beard helps too (especially with Asian girls) :innocent:

SAMOSA KNOwzzzzzzzzzzzz <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending