The Student Room Group

Gcses vs alevel

So at gcses I'm pretty much winging it right now and stacking up b-a* which I definitely know you can't do at a level. So I wanted to get myself in order now so I'm prepared when I begin as. I'm doing maths, chemistry, history and sociology and am achieving a-a* in all those. If any of you guys know specifically the work load for all of those it would be interesting to know. Like if I spend 3 hours a day reviewing what I learnt in lesson would that be good? Also is that combination advisable? 👀
Original post by Rosakoponen
So at gcses I'm pretty much winging it right now and stacking up b-a* which I definitely know you can't do at a level. So I wanted to get myself in order now so I'm prepared when I begin as. I'm doing maths, chemistry, history and sociology and am achieving a-a* in all those. If any of you guys know specifically the work load for all of those it would be interesting to know. Like if I spend 3 hours a day reviewing what I learnt in lesson would that be good? Also is that combination advisable? 👀

I'm in year 12 and its taken me up to now to get used to the way of sixth form. For some it was a matter of weeks, days, whatever- I just found it really overwhelming after getting Ds in the subjects I got A*s in at GCSE (german and geog), then my B grades were U (biology+chemistry).

The trick to sixth form is independence I think. It's printing off the whole spec, making flashcards/posters/covering every single spec point and trusting yourself enough to go to a teacher and ask for help when needed. I've gone from a U in biology to a C in a few weeks and Im working up to get a B overall hopefully. I'm doing chemistry AS next year and German and geography I'm working for an A/B in them.

Chemistry is loads of work, but every a level is tbh. Your worst enemy will probably be grade boundaries. In biology and chem I need around 24/60 to get an E, and the A boundary is around 40/60 but obviously changes every year- the content is so vast it's rediculously easy to get fuddled up and write an amaing 6 mark answeron something completely wrong- it's so evil :frown:

I really do think if you work hard you'll get whatever you want. Start looking at UCAS if you've got a uni degree in mind and work for those grades. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest